[360, PS3] Crysis 2

CryEngine 3 consoles IS like low-med spec PC, i dont care what Crytec say the game looks like, i've tweaked and played Crysis to death and also watched and seen all the videos of the console footage and its not a shade on the PC CryEngine 2.

It looks like that now, in this stage of development. We currently don't have a clue how the final game will look like until we see some shots/videos from the actual gameplay either of PC or console versions. Not to mention I have a feeling it will be one of the best looking console games. If on top of Crysis/Warhead level of graphics, they add to the PC version all the addtional stuff they were planning to implement, it will certainly be one of the best, if not the best looking PC game when it comes out.

If Crytec still want to have the best game engine avaialable then they need to make it in a few years time when DX11 is fully up and running and not NOW.

No, they don't.
Today, we have the most technologically advanced game running 99% of its graphical features in DX9, which means that they didn't need DX10 to acheive it. Also, it runs much better under DX9. What says that to you ? It could run much better under DX10 (as hyped prior to G80 launch, that it will be much less taxing to the hardware etc. and look what happened), but we shall never know the truth. There could be two reasons for that:
- Vista being such a perfomance hog
- DX10 code path is bad for some reason

Pick yours. ;)

They could add DX11 features if they think its needed to achieve what they want. As long as Crytek doesn't feel the need to switch to DX11, it's perfectly fine to do it in DX9/10.

I also dont beleive CE3.0 is also built so good that its actually built for PS4 and XB 720, think of what PC's will be pushing then? More important then that think of what other engines will be pushing by then? If Crytec still want to have the best game engine avaialable then they need to make it in a few years time when DX11 is fully up and running and not NOW.

Key word is scale. ;)

Think of it as pushing CE3 to the limits like pushing CE2 beyond very high, and at high resoulutions + MSAA you will need a monstrous machine to run it smoothly. Since 1080p/30 will probably be mandatory for next-gen consoles, you'll come up with the whole picture.

Also, Crytek/Cevat never said explicitly that they will use "vanilla" CE3 for PS4/XB720, which could mean that CE3 could be refreshed with new features as new hardware allows it. As Cevat said in the interview with GT, CE3 wouldn't be possible without their "high-end PC reasearch going on CE2. They build their knowledge and experience with the new engines, so we have nothing to worry about.

Actually I'm wondering if they'll push both to their respective limits or if they'll scale back both so that they display the same on both consoles.

Crytek is known for its technical excellence, and we also quizzed Yerli on his impressions of the differences between the two HD platforms. "I mean essentially the game we run is about the sam," he said. "Probably one’s stronger on the GPU side, one’s stronger on the CPU side, so depending on what you’re doing where, the PS3 does perform here sometimes better, the 360 performs other things better, but overall by the time the game ships it’ll be absolutely the same."

From Gamasutra.

Interesting and very positive! Yerli almost makes it sound like moving to consoles is a necessary evil just so that they can afford to carry on pushing PC graphics forward :D

Hopefully i'm wrong about my earlier pessimism then. Hey best case scenario, Crytek prove that a game can sell well on consoles and still scale up to push the boundries of PC capabilities which as a result, produces more hype and and thus more sales for a game. Then perhaps other devs will catch on...

Seriously though, console gamers are pretty excited about Crysis on the consoles and thats because of all the hype the PC version got. And the PC version only got that hype because of its graphics. This is kind of like an extension of the "halo" effect that top end GPU's give for a company. Not everyone can have them but it creates a positive glow around the lower end of the line. I do have suspicions as to whether Alan Wake could be doing something similar.

Well they can be like Capcom show the people their game running on a PC [Lost Planet 2] and let the console kids assume their game is going to look as good and run as smoothly ;) Though I must say it was great way to pretty much gaurantee a PC version release of LP2. Thanks Capcom! :D

Nice that Crysis 2 is coming out soon.:D

Still, I hoped that it would've remained PC-exclusive though just like the first one....:cry:

I thought Crysis 1 gameplay wise was decent at best....Obviously, I was incredibly impressed with the graphical prowess of the original game..

I thought Crysis 1 gameplay wise was decent at best....Obviously, I was incredibly impressed with the graphical prowess of the original game..

Well it was well recieved due to having excellent innovate gameplay (Metacritic ~92%). Ofcourse it doesn't fit everyones taste though I assume said has atleast played the demo. But anyway dunno how Crysis 1 relates to Crysis 2 since they have not shown any gameplay of Crysis 2. Might go for a more intense action gameplay style like Warhead in an apocalyptic style world. Btw lots of buildings for culling, I called it! :smile:

Some tidbits are leaking out from PC Gamer.
The February 2010 issue of PCGamer Magazine offered new tidbits along with some of the first real in-game screenshots of Crysis 2. With these came the promises from developer Crytek.

"We are applying our expertise to a new style of "jungle" which we will discuss more in the upcoming months, but it is definitely far from tropical," said executive producer Nathan Camarillo. "We are very excited to introduce Crysis-style sandbox gameplay to a different, yet ultimately familiar environment."

Camarillo added that Crysis 2's environments will have increased verticality over the original, and that the enemy AI is being re-built around these new environments

cover9167436.jpg

One of my most anticipated games for sure.

I'm excited about the new jungle level, envisioning the movie Predator, but how are they gonna show their new water tech then?

I've had the mag nearly a week - It *IS* a "concrete jungle" - the game takes place in a city. The screen that keeps confusing everyone is the park scene. Both screens depict a decimated city, though one depicts a park with a causeway surrounded on both sides by trees and grass with park benches, recycle bins, and garbage strewn out on the ground, and the other a destroyed city street with some kind of alien machinery glowing inside a crater in the middle of the road. Both appear to have been abandoned for a long time, maybe a few years, so they both contain vegetation, and to my eyes it looks a little bit better than it did in Crysis/Warhead, but I can't place my finger on why. What the screens don't depict is some full generational leap ahead of Crysis 1, but that's to be expected - Cryengine3 isn't their next-gen engine, it's their attempt at bridging the gap. But as a caveat we get some fairly improved visuals at a more reasonable entry level.

Anyway, to nay-sayers, and sky-is-falling theorists, the game looks fine, just relax - there's plenty of vegetation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if non-tropical forests could be less taxing from an asset point of view (some evergreens could probably look convincing with a small amount of polys relative to large clusters of palms + undergrowth). As for the city set pieces, I hope they develop some quality vertical gameplay.

Is it not a tradition whenever a new Cry engine gets introduced the water shader would get a new make over? Well the point is I wanna see as much water tech in the game as possible since it's one of their trademark tech.

Yeah, but remember this is CryEngine 2.5. Don't expect major changes until CE4 (which would be the real CE3).

I wonder if non-tropical forests could be less taxing from an asset point of view (some evergreens could probably look convincing with a small amount of polys relative to large clusters of palms + undergrowth). As for the city set pieces, I hope they develop some quality vertical gameplay.

I think if anything it may actually be a little more taxing in terms of geometry, but denser foliage hides more, meaning you could occlude/cull more. Something that initially might seem like a bonehead idea (more geometry) could actually result in drawing less.

Don't you need more polygons to render round and fluid objects and fewer polygons to render hard edges? Is that not the reason why a lot of games will make objects hexagons or octagons rather than fully round shapes when they can get away with it? If Crysis 2 takes place largely inside a city they could get away with a lower overall polygon budget, could they not?

Eh? Alpha textures are still alpha.

Maybe they will have some exotic method to detect when vegetation is overlapping each other forming a 'solid wall'? Though I assume the real savers are the buildings/rubble.

I think if anything it may actually be a little more taxing in terms of geometry...

I doubt it as from what I've seen of custom city esque maps vs forest maps is that the later needs far bigger polygon budget to look convincing and dense. That unless they want to have 2D vegetation galore fest like linear games though for open world that would be really bad and ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back