PSP Go

Oh wow, LBP PSP looks great too!

So it's not a phone ;) No touch screen either I think? But bluetooth is very good - they say it's supposed to be able to link up with your bluetooth headset but also with your phone. And 16GB on board flash is not bad either. Will be interesting to know when it comes out though. And it looks very, very small!

15qrsq1.jpg

2ro5a9u.jpg

16GB internal memory
43% lighter
no UMD
bluetooth

They're going to keep the PSP-3000 on the market, just like the Ars guy said.

Looks pretty awesome, way more appealing than standard PSP imo. I might even consider purchasing one of these. Price point will be interesting.

I suspect it'll be by far the more popular unit, such that despite their initial plans Sony doesnt end up keeping PSP-3k on the market long.

Sucks about no two analog nubs, though.

And no touch screen? Hmm...another knock imo..

Whoa, I was able to watch the video initially, but just now as I edit this reply a couple minutes later it's been removed by the user.

Oh well, this is the internet, I'm sure it's out in the wild now..

No touch screen could be a major disadvantage. That will make websurfing via wi-fi a lot more difficult. Half the appeal of this is as a jack of all trades type device imo, and no touch screen is going to hinder that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, but I think I'll wait for the real PSP2.
I do have some ten or so UMD PSP games, and I've hardly finished half of them. If they have some system where you could download games you already own on UMD for free, then I might get it, but I seriously doubt it.

I was hoping for a touch screen at least, but that was unrealistic, as it would have meant abandoning the current PSP owners.

I'll certainly take a look at it. But the PSP Go raises many questions.

How do I download the same game from the PS Store if I already have the UMD version of the game today. Or for that matter, can I even do that. :)

Also how much does it cost if they are going to sell it against PSP-3000. How would it compare to a casual gaming device like iPhone/iPod, and against the DSes.

It's probably a measure to plug the PSP security hole entirely. There needs to be some exclusive PSP Go features. The old PSPes will continue to sell due to homebrew apps and pirated software library.

If this thing had had improved performance, 2x RAM, cameras and touchscreen like the DSi, it would have rocked. Now it's just a somewhat repackaged PSP, and while more attractive visually (to me anyway), doesn't really have any must-have features to drive people to "upgrade"...

What do you do with your existing games library if you buy this thing? You either use your old PSP, or you're SOL if it's died on you? Neither option is very good if you think about it, lol!

Hmm, while these pictures look nice, the ones on Joystiq make the top half look awkwardly cheap and ugly. I am quite underwhelmed by this announcement tbh. If you spilt your user base, at least improve over what's already there (touch screen, better graphics, etc.).... I fear next week's next-gen IPhone/IPod touch will slaughter this.

If this thing had had improved performance, 2x RAM, cameras and touchscreen like the DSi, it would have rocked. Now it's just a somewhat repackaged PSP, and while more attractive visually (to me anyway), doesn't really have any must-have features to drive people to "upgrade"...

What do you do with your existing games library if you buy this thing? You either use your old PSP, or you're SOL if it's died on you? Neither option is very good if you think about it, lol!

Does this have the same RAM as the PSP-2000 onwards?

I wonder how portable this really is: I do like that it has on-board and expandable memory, even if it is with Memory Stick Micro.

According to wikipedia, PSP 2000-3000 has small internal memory (64Mb). Not counting external storage, this one has 16Gb internal RAM -- according to rumors.

Hmm, while these pictures look nice, the ones on Joystiq make the top half look awkwardly cheap and ugly. I am quite underwhelmed by this announcement tbh. If you spilt your user base, at least improve over what's already there (touch screen, better graphics, etc.).... I fear next week's next-gen IPhone/IPod touch will slaughter this.

Yeah, I was fairly excited over the potential of the PSP GO, but I'm starting to get a little bit of a swing and a miss vibe from this. As measured in my personal "will I seriously consider purchasing it" feelings. I dont know, we'll see.

Like I posted, the omission of a touch screen is pretty big. The omission of dual analog, while I know somebody is going to explain to me the reasons for this, they could have done a clean start. Also as GAF has noted, the screen is smaller, removing a former advantage of PSP over iPod for watching movies. So it starts to become, "why not just buy an Ipod (or Zune Hd)?

I still think it's probably a lot more compelling than PSP-3000 though. Just being download only accomplished that by itself.

But the sales figures will tell, those will be interesting.

By having 16Gb of internal memory, the PSP Go can indeed make a fundamental difference in user experience. The web browser for example would finally have the leg room to shine, if you're near a WiFi. You can potentially run multiple apps too (e.g., download and perform other stuff in the background).

The problem is we get the hardware only view. If Sony is serious about this, they need to talk more about the software and improve the user experience.

Personally, I would have preferred replacing the 4 dpad buttons with a tilting touch pad, but it's probably too expensive. A touch screen is nice but is impractical for fine-grain control. It's one of the key reasons I gave my iPhone away to my 4 year old to toy with. They will need to include both the touch screen and the real buttons in some future iteration. They probably can't squeeze all these hardware into the target price point.

Strictly speaking, the PSP already got that 2x RAM upgrade a while ago. As from the Slim&Lite it's now at 64MB which is twice what both my 100x model PSPs have. I do still wish though that the PSP got the touchscreen and all the other Go! expansions built in, though THAT would really have split the userbase. I still also think they need to do a phone with touchscreen and support for PSP games. For this device, everything is going to depend on price. If they can do it for the price of a DSi or less, they have some decent potential. The big advantage of a phone is that they tend to hide the true device costs in the monthly fee. If they can do something similar with a monthly fee for PSP game downloads or something that would be interesting. Right now, though, I may buy the PSP Go!, but it doesn't prevent me from wanting to get an iPhone or similar device at some point.

I'm not so worried about that, I'm fairly sure they've got that covered - it's really easy to do for them.

I think the biggest draw for me will be increased PSP/PS3 crossover, which I'm expecting to see a lot more of soon.

By having 16Gb of internal memory, the PSP Go can indeed make a fundamental difference in user experience. The web browser for example would finally have the leg room to shine, if you're near a WiFi. You can potentially run multiple apps too (e.g., download and perform other stuff in the background).

The problem is we get the hardware only view. If Sony is serious about this, they need to talk more about the software and improve the user experience.

It probably has the same 64mb of RAM as PSP-3000, fingers crossed for some spec surprises next week. The 16GB is (non random access) flash memory.

Even so, with RAM disk or virtual memory, they can implement some "heavy-weight" use cases. My bundled PSP-1000 memory stick was only 32 Mb. Perhaps the PSP-3000 bundles 1 or 4Gb memory stick ? The 16Gb memory is internal, so all PSP Go's know it's there.

Is that a HDMI out i see?

Lack of Touchscreen seems like a mistake, but then again it´s not meant as a Phone. But it would have helped the browser and text input.

This is clearly aimed at the users that want a iPOD, Video player and a PSP in one "slick" device.

Go hardware control mechanisms, I hate touchscreens :)

They couldn't add a second analog nub - they already have 50 million PSPs out, they want to "reboot" the platform and start selling new games to the old customers.

Also, the value of a second analog nub is much lower now that PS2 development is virtually dead outside of cheap license spinoffs and Madden-level franchises.

Anyone have dimensions? Looks huge - probably because it's small enough to be compared with phones, not with the old PSP.

As for the price point, I'm buying one when it hits 99 EUR just for the Patapons :)

This is clearly aimed at the users that want a iPOD, Video player and a PSP in one "slick" device.

In a twisted way, may be.

It depends on what kind of content deal Sony is going to offer PSP Go users. The hardware specs alone won't be able to tell us that side of the story. Both the software (apps, user experience) and content aspects are missing.

Then again, this is Sony. I have no idea whether they have finally unstuck their heads to avoid another hardware-only sell.

Back