Google Wave

Seems pretty noisy and I have my doubts as to its actual usefulness -- or rather, what makes this significantly more useful than other alternatives. Also, maybe you can confirm, but the help files say that you can't turn off the 'see the message as it's being typed', while in some of the previews there's a checkbox.

In the live demo they did, there was a way to turn off the "as you type" feature. Right now, there doesn't seem to be a way to turn it off, but there is a checkbox for "draft" that is greyed out. I'm assuming that if you were to check "draft" then you'd be able to type your message and it would only display when you clicked the "done" button. I'm sure features will slowly be added during the preview, since they stress the beta nature of the product.

Yep. Made sure to nominate some of my closest friends and family.

So, nobody else actually has wave? Right now I'm sitting with any empty contact list. The nomination process is slow, I guess.

I'd love to get in (it touches on my line of work), but haven't been invited yet. If anyone has an invite to spare, I'll invite two more people from Beyond3D as a favor in return. If we continue doing that, we could have most of Beyond3d on there pretty quick. :LOL:

@rpg.314: yes, I'd hope so, otherwise not many people will get in ... :D

I think they said there would be but wasn't implemented in the demo.

It is implemented, but not rolled out. They're working on ways to make it less noisy and give you more control. Part of it is learning how to use what is available already. The search functionality helps a lot.

You can create 'folders' which are live saved searches.

Also, the source to the Wave Federation Server was released, so at some point, people will build other clients (they include a command-line client, and an Emacs client was shown in the demo), so if you want a more IM like experience, someone might do it, or if you want something that looks like Outlook, that can be done to.

The Wave web client is the most visible and noticeable part of Wave, but like Email, it's more about the underlying protocols (e.g. IMAP/SMTP). Wave supports a cryptographically secure federation protocol, which means an end to anonymous spam, for example.

I would consider the current Web client an experiment in UI design. They don't know if it is the best way to view and organize waves that's why they have rolled out a large scale beta to get feedback before productization.

I finally have a couple contacts. What a weird weird experience.

I was editing a sentence, typing, and my friend started to edit the end of the next sentence. He decided to start backspacing, deleting the sentence from the end. So at some point, our cursors crossed paths and he deleted over what I was typing. It was the oddest thing.

We really messed with the tool, trying to break as much as we could. We used the "Tags" field as an instant messenger, which really messed with the GUI layout.

Thanks to a friendly poster, I now have Wave as well, so if you want to add me ...

I finally have a couple contacts. What a weird weird experience.

I was editing a sentence, typing, and my friend started to edit the end of the next sentence. He decided to start backspacing, deleting the sentence from the end. So at some point, our cursors crossed paths and he deleted over what I was typing. It was the oddest thing.
A few in our office have been experimenting with it - including editing maps etc.

I think the whole concept shows a lot of promise.

Just noticed that there are no more nominations available until they have sufficiently tested their current server load.

Just noticed that there are no more nominations available until they have sufficiently tested their current server load.

Of all entitites, google is having server load issues:oops:, beats me.

Are they just fixing bugs, or are they really having trouble scaling this thing:rolleyes:

Of all entitites, google is having server load issues:oops:, beats me.

Are they just fixing bugs, or are they really having trouble scaling this thing:rolleyes:

Or they have a fixed server budget for this phase of the project. Would make perfect sense to me, as it's still pretty early.

I just have the one person in my friendslist, which makes it hard to do much with Wave. :D

Anyone have links for interesting waves?

I've created a public wave for Beyond3D here: https://wave.google.com/wave/?pli=1#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252BmcT0rVgdA

Google Wave Greatest Hits: https://wave.google.com/wave/?pli=1#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252B4rmp982GA

Some key tips I've found:

To search public waves use "with:public [keywords]" in the search bar just next to the "New Wave" button.

To make a public wave add public@a.gwave.com to your wave. However, this address will not be added to your contacts, so you have to retype it each time. An alternative is to add easypublic@appspot.com, which automatically brings in the public address. Thanks to some developer out there for that!

To get a WaveID and to create URLs:
1. A Wave URL looks like this: https://wave.google.com/wave/?pli=1#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252B12345abcd-E (or, after multiple reloads: https://wave.google.com/wave/?pli=1#restored:wave:googlewave.com!w%252B12345abcd-E.4 ... where it appears that the trailing ".4" is number of times the wave was accessed during this session)

2. Remove everything except googlewave.com!w%252B12345abcd-E

3. Change the part after the exclamation mark from w%252B to w+

4. Your Wave ID is: googlewave.com!w+12345abcd-E

5. Paste the Wave ID into the link dialog box to link to the Wave.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/wave/thread?tid=13b0191cb89d9d99&hl=en

Last edited by a moderator:
Back