How do I predict rain??

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
Since last 2-3 days it has been extremely cloudy but not much rain. So, can I look at clouds and predict if it is going to rain?? Any weather expert here? :D

Hmm, if the skys all cloudy and you stand outside and get very wet then its raining...

Seriously though, usually you get a change in air pressure followed by a drop in temperature, this causes the wind to start blowing. If the air then gets that kind of damp feeling and the clouds don't lighten up, then you can usually say its going to rain.

An old trick is to get a pine cone, they only unfold when the humidity levels favour rain.

Is cloud altitude a factor? What if clouds are very low altitude..? BTW any good site about this?

Well, seeing as meteorologists with their Supercomputers often get the forecasts wrong, I don't know what advice the rest of us can give.

Living in the UK, I can safely say that if it's cloudy, the chances are it will rain, especially if there is a Test Match on!

Deepak said:
Is cloud altitude a factor? What if clouds are very low altitude..? BTW any good site about this?

I would guess it would have a large impact on the chances of rain. I would guess that they have to be at a certain altitude in order for the large droplets of water to form. Once this happens they would have enough mass to break away from the main body. Too high and they'll freeze, too low and they won't form large enough droplets.

Just look up some sites on meteorology, they should have some info.

You could try dancing...

Well if you live in the great plains area of north america, (North dakota, saskatchewan etc. A great prediction for rain in the summer in that area was that before the storm clouds came there we would be fish scale cloud formations. Meaning the clouds would look like ridges and fishscales.

I worked out doors for two summers on the oil rigs and I was a disbeleiver at first, but I was convinced of it shortly there after. This does not work in California at all..

It would rain from 6 to 18 hours after seeing the cloud formation.

I dunno . But when i want the rain i take my american indian rain stick and dance outside naked with it . I can post pictures if you'd like ? :LOL:

Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.
Red sky at noon, storm comes soon.
Red sky at night, sailors' delight. (ie, no storm tonight or the next day)

Or if you really want to get technical, Google something like "sailing meteorology", "farming weather prediction", "sailing cloud weather prediction". Before modern technology, both farmers and sailors learned various ways of predicting the weather based on clouds, humidity, barometric pressure, etc. The Farmer's Almanac might be a good place to start...

If the Barn Swallow (lat. Hirundo Rustica) flies low then a rain is coming.
It chases flying insects for food, and mosquitos and such fly close to the ground when the air humidity is high or rising.

Maybe this can be applied to other small birds too :?

rabidrabbit said:

Hmmm...is that an Arfican or European swallow?

It chases flying insects for food, and mosquitos and such fly close to the ground when the air humidity is high or rising.

And what if it's carrying a coconut?

Joe DeFuria said:
rabidrabbit said:

Joe DeFuria said:
Hmmm...is that an Arfican or European swallow?

Doesn't matter, I quess. I have experience only on european swallows.

Joe DeFuria said:
And what if it's carrying a coconut?

Sorry, I didn't get that :? The Swallow is such a small bird I don't think it would be able to carry coconuts.

I can sometimes predict when rain or storms are coming when I start getting pressure headaches (guess I'm a little too sensitive to changes in atmospheric pressure).

Magic TV, say what happen in future, make earth godess happy.

Some people claim their joints aching is a sign of rain. Those people also say that if your nose itches, somebody is talking about you. :rolleyes: Some possible merit, but who knows?

Joe DeFuria said:
rabidrabbit said:
The Swallow is such a small bird I don't think it would be able to carry coconuts.

Or sure, the European swallows couldn't, but I bet maybe the African swallow could! :D

Sorry, I didn't get that :?

:oops:

http://www.armory.com/swallowscenes.html

(Such films should be required literature today...)

Ah! :D It's been so long I saw that film, I hardly remember anything about it. Still, never been a much of a fan of Monty Python :(

Back