Digital Foundry tech analysis channel at Eurogamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's a great interview! Congrats again, and great to hear also that there is more coming. Can't wait.

Nice interview! Thanks grandmaster and TB :)Is sacred 2 the only 360 game we know using deferred rendering ?

And it is really interesting to see they seemed to use similar tech as Uncharted in dynamic lighting on 360.

Great interview! Thanks grandmaster and T.B. The developer perspective makes a whole lot of difference to understanding the game. The IQ choice is interestingly the same as BGDA, with a supersampled framebuffer on PS2.

Did Digital Foundry check alpha-blend heavy situations? On the PS3 the deadly mists in the swamps absolutely kill framerate. I'm guessing the XB360 is okay with these, but would like to know.

Gald everyone liked it. ;)

W.r.t the "Uncharted-tech", I was quite amused when I read that presentation, many months after the Xbox code was written. Still, I like the PS3-tech more, because it is a) more insane (always a plus!) and b) really helps with lights that don't touch a lot of pixels, e.g. lampposts along the road.

Oh and c) nobody else seems to be doing it. ;)

Gald everyone liked it. ;)

W.r.t the "Uncharted-tech", I was quite amused when I read that presentation, many months after the Xbox code was written. Still, I like the PS3-tech more, because it is a) more insane (always a plus!) and b) really helps with lights that don't touch a lot of pixels, e.g. lampposts along the road.

Oh and c) nobody else seems to be doing it. ;)

Hi TB,

Blur from Bizarre is doing it.
Resistance 2 did it.

This topic is very big in the PS3 development community right now (all come from the source: Naughty Dog)
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,

That's cool!

Back when I came up with it (June 11th '08, last day of the DevStation, on the train to the airport :)), I had not seen anyone do it. I've not been on DevNet since October, so I wasn't aware of anyone else doing per-pixel lightsource classification.
Would be interesting to compare results. I'm sure if Insomniac is doing it, they must be a good chunk faster at it than me.

...5 minutes later...

OK, I just checked the Insomniac R&D site (I'll have a look at Blur later), where they talk about their deferred system. The way I understand it, they render the light volumes while using the scene depth and then use the stencil test determine if the z-value at a given pixel is in the light volume.

This is not the same. First of all, they are using a prelighting renderer, not a deferred setup. Unless I'm totally off, they will render one light-volume at a time during the prelighting-pass, while we process all lights at once, allowing us to do that in full FP32 on an RGBA8 target.

It's really rather different. Deferred vs. prelighting, stencil-tests vs. SPU.
Anyway, I like their setup. When Wolfgang published the pre-lighting, I was sadly a bit late for us to give it a shot.

Any Insomniacs around? :)

Speaking of Crackdown and GTA4, what other games have day/night cycles? I've got Far Cry 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, The Godfather 2, Burnout Paradise... any more? We can factor in PC too as well, I'm not fussy. And HD game will do. Saints Row 2 perhaps?

I tried InFamous. It doesn't have one.

I want to create the time-lapse video to end them all.

I'm hoping to be talking to the developers of one of the greatest PS3 games, Super Stardust HD, but it's early days yet.
While you are at it ask about their next PSN exclusive game as well.

I think you do the interview by an email, but in very very rare chance you travel all the way to Finland go visit FrozenByte as well, maker of Trine game. Ask if finnish PSN game developers share technology, after all they all know each other in a tiny country.

I'm also wondering if Hustle Kings has something interesting. I don't know if they're 1080p, but they do seem to have/claim some interesting graphics.

Speaking of Crackdown and GTA4, what other games have day/night cycles? I've got Far Cry 2, Red Faction: Guerrilla, The Godfather 2, Burnout Paradise... any more? We can factor in PC too as well, I'm not fussy. And HD game will do. Saints Row 2 perhaps?

MLB 2K7 :) Fable 2 does as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back