Digital Foundry tech analysis channel at Eurogamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
any chance of an analysis of Infamous' final code? I really would like to know what the actual frame rate is of the full game.

I sure wish these guys would do BLACK 2. Hell it's probably already too late for this gen. Dont understand it..

For the record, I can state categorically that nobody at Criterion (or anywhere else within EA as far as I know) is working on this. Forget the rumours, forget the occasional news story (like the Black: Second Mission one a few months back), it's not happening.

I like this quote from the article...

But the Criterion tech team are quick dismiss the notion that the current generation, or indeed any generation of hardware has been pushed to its absolute limits.

"It's nothing new, you hear it all the time... we've maxed out, we're the best," says Fry dismissively. "That's proof that you're not the best," Parr chimes in. "It means you're out of ideas."

It's that sort of thinking that brings unexpected things.

Although it's interesting to note they stay away from anything that is better on one console versus the other. In other words, only targeting those things the consoles share in common or things that both consoles can do equally.

Combined with the thinking from that quote it'll be interesting to see if they can push the systems enough to approach or surpass console exclusive engines and art assets.

Interesting stuff all around.

Regards,
SB

For the record, I can state categorically that nobody at Criterion (or anywhere else within EA as far as I know) is working on this. Forget the rumours, forget the occasional news story (like the Black: Second Mission one a few months back), it's not happening.

Can you do an analysis for Resistance 2 atleast?

sorry for the double post, I can't edit my first one. is there a cap on the framerate, or is there a chance that parts of the game run at 60fps?

Well, that's covered in the video where you can see frame rates hit 50fps in the cut-scenes, so there is no cap. It's v-synced, but not v-locked. It'll pump out as many frames as it can. Look at the sky, or go onto one of the piers and you'll get close to 60fps.

A couple of bonus extras that didn't make it even into the full interview for various reasons (non-transcribable in that another Criterion person was in the room interjecting and didn't want to be quoted, and also interesting stuff sandwiched in-between stuff I couldn't publish).

First of all, Burnout Paradise on PS3 scales up 1280x720 to 1080p, it's not 960x1080 as I had foolishly thought when I posed the scaling question. Criterion says that as soon as they had the memory necessary to create the buffers, they implemented it and it had next to no impact on performance. Almost a shame as I really wanted to get an idea on how the much-used 960x1080 mode, which renders more pixels, affects refresh rate.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly for the face-off features and the comparison galleries, is confirmation from Criterion that they individually calibrated each console so the video output was identical - clarification, if it was needed, that the gamma differences we often see in comparison shots are nothing to do with the capture hardware, limited/full range RGB etc, and everything to do with the consoles' outputs themselves.

First of all, Burnout Paradise on PS3 scales up 1280x720 to 1080p, it's not 960x1080 as I had foolishly thought when I posed the scaling question. Criterion says that as soon as they had the memory necessary to create the buffers, they implemented it and it had next to no impact on performance. Almost a shame as I really wanted to get an idea on how the much-used 960x1080 mode, which renders more pixels, affects refresh rate.
You mean that the actual resolution is 720p just scaled to 1080p output a la 360? The native resolution is stil 720p right?

Part one of the Criterion Tech Interview is now up. Seriously, you'll love this.

Really great stuff, but it felt like a cliffhanger at the end, and it was made worse because you mentioned Black*, argh, Friday must come soon.

*which you already said they weren't working on. :cry:

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly for the face-off features and the comparison galleries, is confirmation from Criterion that they individually calibrated each console so the video output was identical - clarification, if it was needed, that the gamma differences we often see in comparison shots are nothing to do with the capture hardware, limited/full range RGB etc, and everything to do with the consoles' outputs themselves.

I remember Arwin(?) did some analysis of the differences in video outputs from the two consoles way back.

...I found a reference here. Perhaps it would be useful to do the same on Burnout Paradise outputs?

You mean that the actual resolution is 720p just scaled to 1080p output a la 360? The native resolution is stil 720p right?

Yup that's right. It would've been more interesting to be if it were 960x1080 a la Uncharted and Killzone 2, but it isn't.

Really great stuff, but it felt like a cliffhanger at the end, and it was made worse because you mentioned Black*, argh, Friday must come soon.

*which you already said they weren't working on. :cry:

They aren't working on Black 2. The conversation was essentially picking up on Alex Fry's comments about the PS2 being an "epic machine", and from there I was trying to get more information out of them on Black - I was trying to get them to speculate on why nobody has really tried to emulate what they did in Black in the next gen. There are many echoes of Black in PS360 shooters, but none (until Red Faction Guerrilla, arguably) have gone for the same core fun.

I remember Arwin(?) did some analysis of the differences in video outputs from the two consoles way back.

...I found a reference here. Perhaps it would be useful to do the same on Burnout Paradise outputs?

On a more general level, some kind of analysis of the various outputs of the consoles may be in order as a standalone piece, and certainly a game like Burnout, which has been calibrated by a top-end studio, would be an important part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup that's right. It would've been more interesting to be if it were 960x1080 a la Uncharted and Killzone 2, but it isn't.

Now thats strange. I didnt know that Uncharted and Killzone 2 could display at those resolutions.

I have a 1080p LCD and I have set my PS3 to automatically choose the optimum display resolution based on title, but my TV's display info when I play these two tiltles tell me that they are running at 720p.

Do we have to force 1080p for these titles to run at 960x1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back