Game engine comparisons (UDF2, AC, KZ2 etc.)

This engine comparison thing is a bit pointless. Anything from those games could be implemented in another engine without much problem, except maybe turning KZ or Uncharted's engine into an open-world-oriented one, but even that would probably not be a huge problem. AC's engine was used to make PoP, which was not "open world". Dunia is particular.

So really, it's a bit pointless. You're just comparing the games.

Something like Mirror's Edge? I suppose if there's no day and night cycle then prebaked would indeed serves best. Maybe SSGI for some specific scenes? Am I making sense here?
I think you're right. Obviously Uncharted 2 sports pre-baked GI (which game doesn't nowadays?), but in the latest gameplay video there's also clear indications of SSAO.

Also Far Cry 2 although different devs and game it is amazingly beauthiful. I am surprised people dont talk more about the Dunia engine when talking about graphics. Sure it has liight gameplay but the graphcis is really good. Even if the console version is less detailed it still is amongst the best showcases. The HDR lighting (32bit or more on PC? "HdrFP32="1"), procedural sky/wind, quite consistent high-res textures, really highres shadows, limited destructibility, water rendering, HDR particles etc. Also edges are exceptionally sharp and clean despite 4xAA (DX10.1?) giving it the bullshot/promo look.

Yes, in my opinion the Far Cry 2 is one of the most impressive looking games this gen. Dunia is a very impressive engine - has some of the best hdr I've seen, and with full on 4xAA (or higher) + transparency AA, it's very impressive indeed. It was also supposed to feature real time radiosity but it looks like it was ditched in the final version for some prebaked GI effect (still looks really good in some situations). Some AO would have also gone a long way to make the game look even better (thank Nvidia for driver enabled AO!).

Something like Mirror's Edge? I suppose if there's no day and night cycle then prebaked would indeed serves best. Maybe SSGI for some specific scenes? Am I making sense here?
For what we've seen it's nothing like Mirror's Edge/Killzone 2. In those games, the GI, affects dynamic objects like the characters. In U2 the GI is baked into the texture, it's not realtime.

I really like the original CryEngine and of course CryEngine 2.0. As much crap as people give CE2 in the case of Crysis and Crysis Warhead I think it's the best engine out their right now in terms of graphics, though it would be nice to see some more procedural destruction and for later on I hope it has some better liquid physics, though the water looks great. Nice graphics need a good graphics card so quit complaining about lack of optimization, when it's pretty impressive for the hardware it's being ran on >:/
Indeed. The only limitation that bothers me is the amount of lights you can use at any given time. Sure, there are fill lights but they're only useful some of the time. Fortunately, CE3 is on it's way to improve on that and with realtime indirect lighting too :D

I thought Mirror's Edge had baked in GI also, not realtime.

Repi once told about their BF2 color bleeding function. Like flying over water or ground reflects the color on the underside of heli or other vechicle. Very visible in wake 2007.

Care to point to an example of color bleeding in those games?

iT's there.It's easier to spot in Mirror Edge because of their choices for color palete ,but SH are there in Uncharted and others games to provide local ambient lighting (yes , bleeding) .On KZ2 THe method is slightly different but it's there too.

For what we've seen it's nothing like Mirror's Edge/Killzone 2. In those games, the GI, affects dynamic objects like the characters. In U2 the GI is baked into the texture, it's not realtime.

Uhh, isn't the GI baked into the texture in ME and KZ2 as well?

I'm pretty sure all 3 games have baked lighting for static objects, with 'dynamic objects' being the only ones that feature realtime shading.

Never thought about it but Mass Effect has object motionblur. Fast moving objects gets it, like running characters and vechicle.

Never thought about it but Mass Effect has object motionblur. Fast moving objects gets it, like running characters and vechicle.
Yup, you should have seen that during the drop-off sequence anyway as the Normandy flies over and drops off the mako. :p

Curiously, Halo 3 has a limited OMB in that objects have to be close enough and fast enough relative to the camera.

Attachments

• h3omb-2.jpg
    h3omb-2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 40
Back