Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I one of the few that has always been willing to pay for a very high end model in a standard size separates case? I just simply don't understand why they have never done it, unless I really am of a small select bunch. Something along the lines of the original specifications, most of the ports on the back (2 HDMI, 2 Gbit, 6 USB, etc) and card slots on the front with 2 USB for charging, small display on the front with buttons, a PlayTV type of unit at the back (the full SCC onboard) with standard RF and Satellite/Cable coax inputs and a CAM slot (they could also do deals with certain operators/broadcasters to do this in software, linked to your PSN account), normal IR receiver, even a Blu-ray burner drive with a tray.

I'd pay 600-800 quid for that depending upon exact specifications.
Me too. I would probably have bought the PSX if it ever was released over here.

I guess they consider the number of buyers wouldn't offset the cost of setting up construction, as a small-scale production run would be so expensive that there'd be no profit in it.

Sure there'd be profit, but they'd have to price it accordingly as a high end exclusive home entertainment device. Say somewhere in the neighborhood of 1k-4k.

Regards,
SB

I think the price they pay for hard drives has probably remained pretty constant, but the capacity they can get at that price point continues to go up. Hard drives are like that. They never really get cheaper, they just keep increasing the capacity and stop making smaller ones.

Hard drive costs are associated with the platters rather than actual capacity. A 20GB platter vs a 250GB platter still means the physical cost of a single platter. Increased density is initially more expensive, of course.

Sure there'd be profit, but they'd have to price it accordingly as a high end exclusive home entertainment device. Say somewhere in the neighborhood of 1k-4k.

Regards,
SB

And about 3 people would buy it. There is a reason the psx failed and that is because people dont want it. If you want all those things buy a htpc. Will be cheaper and alot more functional.

And about 3 people would buy it. There is a reason the psx failed and that is because people dont want it. If you want all those things buy a htpc. Will be cheaper and alot more functional.

I got the PS3, it serves as my Hometheater Center now it does my than i could have asked of a PSX :)
I am really curious about the Slim model, i would like a completely silent and less heat generating HT Center :)

hehe, it was more wishful thinking -- I was just joking. But I admit, it wasn't very logical thinking... I was really tired when I posted that (4am).
It was not directed to you :) more like it would be a bad for Sony to let info leak that early if lunch is nowhere soon.
And I post quiet often stupid questions so it's not like I would criticize on purpose to be mean.

Anyway if the leaks are true Sony needs to push this sku asap.

I guess they consider the number of buyers wouldn't offset the cost of setting up construction, as a small-scale production run would be so expensive that there'd be no profit in it.

I know what you are saying, but I would not expect it to be an SCE product, but one from Sony Electronics or whatever that division is called nowadays. They are producing the motherboard for the BCU-100 Zego in any case, and I suppose the high end model (not called PS3, just have that as a logo on the case with the many others that pollute audio visual equipment cases nowadays), would be similar to that, but without the PCI slot and the video display part added on. As Silent_Buddha stated however, as with the Zego, it would probably end up being very very expensive.

There was a thread on NeoGAF back in December called "Save Sony"

I believed that the PS3slim released in 2009 was the best way to boost the PS3 fortunes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14054469&postcount=90

Then I visited B3D to test the possibility of the PS3slim arriving in 2009.

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1256292&postcount=7

From the posts in that thread it didn't seem likely.

But my belief in the PS3slim as the only option for reviving the PS3 was undiminished. I returned to NeoGAF and posted in a PS3 price reduction thread my hopes for a PS3slim release in 2009.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14338087&postcount=59

Now we have all these pictures.

Someone hasn't been reading the whole thread ;)

Yeah, kind of.

The PSP 2000 got officially branded as "PSP-Slim&Light".

I would like to see the corresponding names for the PS3, maybe

• Original PS3 model "PS3-Fatty" trademark of Shifty
  • Upcoming PS3 model "PS3-OnDiet"

Yeah, kind of.

The PSP 2000 got officially branded as "PSP-Slim&Light".

I would like to see the corresponding names for the PS3, maybe

• Original PS3 model "PS3-Fatty" trademark of Shifty
  • Upcoming PS3 model "PS3-OnDiet"

They shouldn´t use any new names for the PS3

You mean like a void of white-space characters.

That would be terribly hard to market, not that it would make much of a difference considering Sonys piss-poor marketing skills.

Nah i think they could handle it with "New Design" or whatever. The important part would be the price, PS3 Light, Lite implies it´s not all what the Original PS3 was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back