Rumor: Slim PS3 on the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the size of the PS3 is a problem, I'd rather have a large console that is cooled properly than a smaller one that can potentially die on me.

Yes, but I'm sure you'd also rather have a smaller console that does exactly the same thing using less energy than a large one ;) The size of the PS3 isn't a problem exactly in that people aren't buying it because it's big, but it it does cost more to make, and it does lose appeal. Just look at how the PS2Slim rocketed sales! Aesthetics can have a big impact. Offering people the same PS3 in a smaller package will increase its value and edge onlookers a little closer towards buying it, perhaps enough to be the proverbial straw to break the consumer's bank-balance.

I don't understand the skeptical posts. The pictures are pretty darn convincing. That does look like a new, significantly smaller PS3.

Tooling up for a plastic mold costs hundreds of thousands of dollars, so this would be a pretty expensive hoax. Every detail about the plastic case is correct, down to the screw holes with recesses for the screw hole covers.

Big questions for me are 1) is the PSU internal? 2) what's the power consumption?

It isn't the same as PSTwo logo. It's more rounded.
PSTwo logo stayed the same as the original PS2.
I don't like this rumoured new PS3 logo, looks kind of "cheap".
I think they shoud keep the Spiderman font, and even the complete "PLAYSTATION 3" text, instead of changing it to "PS3". The Spiderman logo is already so heavily used, for example in front of all Sony games trailers, that I don't think they'd drastically change it.

If a new slimline PS3 comes, I wish it wouldn't look and feel so cheap as PSTwo.
I like the classy feel of the current PS3, the weight and the good finish.

Comparing the size of current PLAYSTATION 3 and this rumoured PS3 Slim, the height and width don't seem to be that much smaller, the size reduction seems to be mostly in thckness.

See how the PS3 logo looks just a little bit different in the plastic molding than in the cardboard packaging... in the packaging the font isn't as uniformly thick. Though, it could just be the angle.
I think those images are for some some cheap chinese copy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but the 'PS3' logo is so horrible. I wouldn't believe it until they release it.

Logo is just fine IMO. Its more consistent with previous Sony consoles.

Another confirmation of a MainTek workplace
2872af8.jpg

Would anyone care to speculate on what the "120" refers to on the front of the alleged packaging. First thought was the Hard drive size, however I can't make out what it says next to the numbers.

It's because of the French language, the don't use the word Byte, but rather Octet. All mainland EU packaging uses that as far as I'm aware (mine does, and I'm in Spain), and I suppose also for Canada.

Would anyone care to speculate on what the "120" refers to on the front of the alleged packaging. First thought was the Hard drive size, however I can't make out what it says next to the numbers.

GB/GO
Eng/Fr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back