Red Dead Redemption

Funny, i found this game for £6 or so on amazon - used - so i went for it.

I'm still not entirely sure i like it. I've been waiting for something actually interesting to happen, but i'm still waiting. Yes the game is absolutely beautiful, especially on my new 50" plasma, but... am i missing something? Does it get more interesting? Is it a case of 'keep going a little longer'... ?

Cause i'm a bit bored of running around doing very uninteresting missions for relatively uninteresting people...

I'm missing something, ain't i...

I'm still not entirely sure i like it. I've been waiting for something actually interesting to happen, but i'm still waiting. Yes the game is absolutely beautiful, especially on my new 50" plasma, but... am i missing something? Does it get more interesting? Is it a case of 'keep going a little longer'... ?

Cause i'm a bit bored of running around doing very uninteresting missions for relatively uninteresting people...

How far in are you ?

The first couple hours were not that great but it did pick up.

For me, RDR, is the best game of this Gen. I loved it. Shame they didn't do a PC version but hopefully an RDR 2 will show up on next gen machines and *crosses fingers* PC.

Sounds like it's not translating well. It's truly an American tale & experience. I'm not sure outsiders will really love it or even "get" a lot of it. It would be interesting to know what missions you've played though. Are you're doing the main story or just side missions? Also, are you listening to the game's soundtrack while playing? It has I believe the best game soundtrack of this generation. It makes you feel part of the story like you're actually there. It helps connect you emotionally with the characters & story.

BTW, if you are doing all the main missions & need a break, I would sign up for Rockstar's Social Club so you can keep track of the 100% game completion achievement. It takes a lot of work to complete & you can compare your progress against your friends.

http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr/checklist

Completing that achievement is my biggest accomplishment of any game. I was so proud when I got it. Unfortunately I don't think you can complete it without finishing the main story & all the side missions.

Anyway, if the story isn't your thing, you can have fun doing random stuff like getting "Wanted" & blowing crap up. LOL I loved just going to one of the forts & getting my bounty really high. LOL

Tommy McClain

btw i have not played this game for long time. When i played it again... im confused.

how to tell which mission is the main mission? o_O

I had more fun hunting then I did with many of the non story related missions. However, I did find some of the random missions very enjoyable. I love the game but never finished because I was too busy chasing deer, snakes, boars and mountain lions.

btw i have not played this game for long time. When i played it again... im confused.

how to tell which mission is the main mission? o_O

Check your radar. There should be a big letter on it. Ride your horse to that waypoint.

Tommy McClain

anybody played this on PS3 ? Any major problems performance wise ?

I played the hell out of it on my xbox but want a nice cool fresh start and figured why not play it on PS3 and shake off the 2 year dust build up before Last of Us.

I'm not very far in but I had no problems on PS3 so far. I have the digital version from Plus. It isn't native res I think, but it still is a great looking game.

How far in are you ?

The first couple hours were not that great but it did pick up.

For me, RDR, is the best game of this Gen. I loved it. Shame they didn't do a PC version but hopefully an RDR 2 will show up on next gen machines and *crosses fingers* PC.

I'm quite far in i think, just took down Fort Mercer and went on from there a little bit more...

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice game, i just probably don't get it as much as others.

I'm quite far in i think, just took down Fort Mercer and went on from there a little bit more...

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice game, i just probably don't get it as much as others.

Once you get to Mexico you're almost halfway through it. Mexico is long though. But after you get to northern part & that's pretty cool. When you get done with the game then I would buy Undead Nightmare(there's spoilers to regular game). Make sure to buy the collection where you get all the previous add-ons too.

Tommy McClain

finally playing this game again.
Feels like Assassin's Creed 3, and then i realized that RDR is released before AssCreed 3 haha.

too bad the weather always grey and cloudy.

yeah, after AC3 I went't and played a little of this game as well and then I really noticed how much AC3 is AC's version of RDR.

I think this is probably my favourite game this gen - it had everything: great atmosphere, story, characters, graphics, gameplay - the bigges surprise was how excellent the Euphoria driven gunplay was, it was better than many shooters let alone your average third person action/RPG title (eg. GTA4, Mass Effect, the shooting was even beter than the shooting in Uncharted)

Last edited by a moderator:
Euphoria driven shooting?
i can show enemy in the leg and they will limp?

i just realized i never tried that. Gotta try it today ^_^

If a gang of bandits are riding towards you, it's possible to shoot one so that he falls and gets his legs caught in the stirrup, dragging behind the horse OR even for the dead man's horse to start veering off to the side so it crashes into neighboring horses.

And all the other Euphoria driven shenanigans you can see in GTA4 (except with less input lag when you pull the trigger)

anybody played this on PS3 ? Any major problems performance wise ?

I played the hell out of it on my xbox but want a nice cool fresh start and figured why not play it on PS3 and shake off the 2 year dust build up before Last of Us.

ps3 has some effects pared back (less grass, no distorsion water) & low res but hardly you notice without the 360 version on the side.

finally the weather changed from all grey to colorful. And wow... its impressive.
Even after blown up to 1080p 40inch TV it still looks great.

the gameplay also good. too bad i dont get the storyline and felt like Skyward Sword where i;m being forced to do mundane things just to progress.

EDIT:
wow, i just enabled the "smooth motion thing" on TV and it feels like the game running ALMOST in 60fps. Awesome.
The lag also still bearable for this game.

too bad i cant crank the setting all the way to max. it make too much artefacts on grass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back