Red Dead Redemption

So is this just like GTA4 in the West? Cause I'm not down for that. It needs to not be just a huge open world game, GTA4 with a Western skin...

there is a mission structure (improved over GTA) but what sets this apart is:

Randomly generated axillary events -allegedly hundreds with the type of event based on your character (good or evil)- that allow you to interact with the world. A persistent fame or infamous level. Also the 500 named NPC characters with their own AI (including jobs and night life) 40 types of wildlife with random events including being attacked and or hunting (pelts form kills used as trade for goods), a more robust camp/home RPG-ish character save system, the entering of buildings for all kinds of other events (robbery, games etc) and a much improved MP and DLC free co-op play released in June.

So yea... not a reskinned GTA :cool:

there is a mission structure (improved over GTA) but what sets this apart is:

Randomly generated axillary events -allegedly hundreds with the type of event based on your character (good or evil)- that allow you to interact with the world. A persistent fame or infamous level. Also the 500 named NPC characters with their own AI (including jobs and night life) 40 types of wildlife with random events including being attacked and or hunting (pelts form kills used as trade for goods), a more robust camp/home RPG-ish character save system, the entering of buildings for all kinds of other events (robbery, games etc) and a much improved MP and DLC free co-op play released in June.

So yea... not a reskinned GTA :cool:

So yeah, definitely a reskinned GTA with upgrades. :?:

So yeah, definitely a reskinned GTA with upgrades. :?:

well it started with the same engine and had a 5 year dev time improving upon it with 200 member team different from GTA team (San Diego v North) so if you hated GTA or have no use for the Western theme or horse riding, lassoing, hunting, dead eye shooting mechanic, choice of antagonist or protagonist and randomly generated populace events etc then yea... I guess one might simplify this down to the "Gta re-skinned" .... ;)

Although Houser thinks big picture at Rockstar's headquarters in New York City, Red Dead Redemption has been designed at the Rockstar San Diego studio, located in a discrete second-floor office in Carlsbad.
The lack of signage is one indication of how tightly controlled operations are at the secretive Rockstar. In a rare instance when the company opened itself to the press, a Times photographer was forbidden from publishing any pictures beyond one arranged by marketing staff.
On the main production floor, about 200 programmers, designers and artists were hard at work last month in their cubicles putting the finishing touches on Redemption. It's a spiritual successor to 2004's smaller scale Red Dead Revolver, which bears only a little of the Rockstar touch because it was primarily overseen by Japanese publisher Capcom.
Roughly 500 people around the world have contributed to Redemption over the last five years.

Gameinformer magazine gives this a 9.75 in this month's issue and I read that Official Playstation Magazine gave it a 10/10 citing

OPM praises every aspect of Rockstar's sweeping Western in its review. It applauds the 'excellent voice acting', the 'moving cinematic' and 'glorious rendering of cowboy country'. There's also a 'perfectly pitched soundtrack' and a story with a 'unique mood' - while the ever-present side-missions leave it 'up to you and your calcified conscience how to respond'.

The only minor criticism comes with the 'slightly repetitive clusters' in which you 'protect this wagon, repel these bandits, protect this stagecoach and so on'.

But this is a teeny grumble in a four-page bonanza of triumphant noises - featuring mouth-watering art and game facts.

OPM says that decrying RDR as a re-skinned GTA 'misses the point' - :Dbecause 'in terms of ambience and immersion it surpasses its forbear'.

'Once you're hooked, there's no going back,' OPM's review warns.

As if that's going to stop us. Red Dead Redemption will be released in the UK on May 21.

from the new IGN preview

There's a simple, but working economy in Red Dead. The closer a town is to the resource, the less a shopkeeper is going to offer for it. If there are buffalo walking 20 feet from the shop, no one's going to feel the need to pay top dollar. But take those buffalo skins down south, where they haven't seen tatanka in a decade, and you can make some real cash.
:oops:

While you'll want to complete a few of the early missions to unlock some basic tools of the trade (in particular, your lasso), you won't have to follow the storyline for long before it's safe to wander off into the wild. In fact, I spent six hours avoiding the main missions altogether and I still had plenty to do just by venturing out on my own. It didn't even matter that two of the three territories in Red Dead are locked until you progress to certain parts of the story. The world is so big and so full of distractions that you can easily invest ten hours without thinking much at all about progressing the storyline of main character John Marston.

Red Dead is full of side quests. There are really two different kinds. There are a number of structured quests, things built into the world in very specific places. They play out as mini-stories,...

While there are plenty of these types of bonus missions, the more common set of side quests are random encounters.
In town or while out exploring, you'll hear gunshots or cries for help. You can always move on, and ignore whatever's happening, but where's the fun in that?... I was flagged down by someone whose friend was being lynched. I rushed to the rescue, killed the bad men, then tried to play it Clint Eastwood cool by shooting the rope that was hanging the poor man. Only, I missed with the first shot. And the dumb sonofabitch died on me. Another time I was asked to help rescue a man's daughter who was being held hostage by some bandits. I thought I'd killed every enemy in town, so when I opened the door to free her, it took me a moment to realize the man standing beside her wasn't one of the gunslingers who'd assisted me. A second's hesitation was all he needed to put a bullet in the back of her head.

The only minor criticism comes with the 'slightly repetitive clusters' in which you 'protect this wagon, repel these bandits, protect this stagecoach and so on'.

But this is a teeny grumble in a four-page bonanza of triumphant noises

Well that is my biggest gripe with most games, repetitiveness. Ok, games are repetitive, thats unavoidable, but there are levels.

And I have never finished a GTA game, the one I played the most was GTA3, because it kept its freshness longer. The other ones, was to me, just more of the same, in a new dress.

But I do hope RDR will surprise me, but I do not have high hopes :)

Whats this I am hearing, Aiming & shooting are mapped to L2 & R2 in the PS3 controller. [just like GTA] & you can't change it to L1/R1. Why is it that some devs don't get that PS3 triggers are not like 360's triggers.

Also does the PS3 ver gets exclusive contents ?

I`m still rather curious as to why any PS3 related content has STILL not been mentioned or shown? Surely less than a week away (UK) there should be SOMETHING to show? Are there problems with this version? As a 360/PS3 user, i certainly would want to know which version to get.

Hmmm...now I gotta decide which ver to get.
The game is delayed for like 10-15 days here but the imported copies (asian ver) are arriving on 18th itself & naturally they are going to be overpriced. 360 ver is just slightly overpriced (equivalent of 5-10$) while there's a considerable margin in the price of imported PS3 copy.

I was watching a stream of this game yesterday, and I have to say the graphics are mighty impressive from what I can tell. Riding into the sunset, with sun shafts coming around all of the cacti and a massive draw distance. The lighting is fantastic, maybe some of the best I have seen yet, especially considering the scale.

Enter buildings? WHOOO HOO!!! About time.

Now if only we could shoot out windows & lights, then I'd be one happy camper.

well I did read this form a poster who has it :smile:

Really really good game.
Feels so much better than GTA4

-Graphics are beautiful! When the sun is rising and its passing through the clouds they all light up and look really nice. Also at night time they have these little lanterns around the town so i shot one and it exploded into a fireball which looked really impressive and the ground below caught fire. Draw distance great aswell.

-Movement feels very fluid and just overall better than GTA4.
I watched some streams a couple pretty good quality and the graphics are downright AMAZING for a game of this scope
any scope ;)

man I wish it was out this weekend as I could really enjoy playing it for two days without distraction.... Have a hard time enjoying a game like this mid-week with work and other responsibilities :D

Well at last the Reach beta is good until release

watching a stream at the moment and im hugely impressed! Fun fun fun!!! Its a tremendous looker, especially as the sun is setting! But the biggest thing for me is the audio, which is just downright glorious!

man, the ambient sounds, gunfire, voice acting and soundtrack are pitch perfect

real time weather and lighting (more widely varied than GTA) are making me salivate

Back