3 petite girl singers, putting men to shame

Kaotik

Drunk Member
Legend
Supporter
Wow, didn't know there were female growlers. Might sound sexists or whatever, really just naive.

Arch Enemy was much better when it was lead by Jonah Liva. I don't hate new Arch Enemy, I rather enjoy "We Will Rise" and "Dead Eyes See No Future." You neglected to mention Cristina Scabbia, even though I don't exactly consider Lacuna Coil my forte. I've always been fond of Paz Lenchantin, the former bassist for APC, though not a singer. Just watch the video for "Judith." Also, I hear a lot of rave reviews for "Nightwish", which is apparently fronted by a female as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arch Enemy was much better when it was lead by Jonah Liva. I don't hate new Arch Enemy, I rather enjoy "We Will Rise" and "Dead Eyes See No Future." You neglected to mention Cristina Scabbia, even though I don't exactly consider Lacuna Coil my forte. I've always been fond of Paz Lenchantin, the former bassist for APC, though not a singer. Just watch the video for "Judith." Also, I hear a lot of rave reviews for "Nightwish", which is apparently fronted by a female as well.

Oh, Nightwish is one of the biggest names of "female fronted metal", fronted by Tarja Turunen for long time, and now Anette Olzon on the latest album, and there's Christina Scabbia and tons of others - but that wasn't exactly the point of this thread.

The point was the growling, there ain't many females doing it, and these 3 really put several male growlers to shame

Okay, not sure if "petite" is exactly the right word, but anyway, these girls have bigger balls than half the men metal singers [surrender]

Alissa White-Gluz / The Agonist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXzIeI0mkFI or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZo4bOZf3B4 (couldn't decide which would be better one here)
Angela Gossow / Arch Enemy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Dn02bR4pg
Candice / ETHS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu5BkXSB0HE

Anyone know other similar bands with female singers?
Great. So, there are women who being unable to sing, instead try to become famous by screaming like someone is trying to cut them into small pieces.
Since when "Bad singer"=="Bigger Balls" ?

Kittie has some decent material, although their sound isn't quite as polished as I'd like it to be.
I can't be bothered with standard growling, but the contrast of a girl singing and growling is nice.

Great. So, there are women who being unable to sing, instead try to become famous by screaming like someone is trying to cut them into small pieces.
Since when "Bad singer"=="Bigger Balls" ?

Just because your view on singing is that narrow doesn't mean they're bad singers :rolleyes:

Sounds like all that modern art nonsense: "we say its art, if you dont understand it you`re a ignorant idiot". :LOL:

Nah, it's just a matter of "learning to listen to it", after you do, you begin to notice how only thing separating it from traditional singing is the "growling" on it, but otherwise they go up and down the scale etc etc just like in traditional singing

Any female lead singers than can do what Opeth's lead singer does?

Any female lead singers than can do what Opeth's lead singer does?

You mean be able to growl and be able to sing with a lovely voice? They exist of course and they might even exist within the bands Kaotik posted, but I haven't heard specific songs where singing, not growling, is done from those bands.

Growling I guess can be considered a form of singing. It is manipulating the vocal chords to come to a desired sound effect. It doesn't mean there is talent in that way of singing though, but just a skill useful to a specific music genre.

Npl, just because you might think it's not art doesn't mean that it isn't. I wasn't there when the artist made those pieces so I cannot judge based on that. Art is subjective of course and what is art to one person may not be to the other.

Npl, just because you might think it's not art doesn't mean that it isn't. I wasn't there when the artist made those pieces so I cannot judge based on that. Art is subjective of course and what is art to one person may not be to the other.
google for pictures with "hermann nitsch" (basically he guts animals). You know I wouldnt have a problem with what those perverts call "art" if they dint receive funds from me through my taxes, or even get museums built for them (tax-money) and then need more tax-money to keep them running as noone visits them.

Its fine for musicians if they make a living from their work, whatever I think off their music :p

Sorry for getting offtopic. Arrr.. "is growling singing?" - No!!! Only lower your standards pretty far to accept anything almost as singing. There might be good growlers and bad growlers but that doesnt make them good or bad singers.

Sorry for getting offtopic. Arrr.. "is growling singing?" - No!!! Only lower your standards pretty far to accept anything almost as singing. There might be good growlers and bad growlers but that doesnt make them good or bad singers.
Well, many of them can do quite good clean vocals too ;)
But I do consider it singing, sure, it is growling too, but once you "learn into it", you will notice how the growling is done just like singing, with melodies, varying pitches etc etc etc, only thing different is the "growling" instead of "clean" vocals

google for pictures with "hermann nitsch" (basically he guts animals). You know I wouldnt have a problem with what those perverts call "art" if they dint receive funds from me through my taxes, or even get museums built for them (tax-money) and then need more tax-money to keep them running as noone visits them.

Its fine for musicians if they make a living from their work, whatever I think off their music :p

It doesn't mean it is not art. I disagree with his methods of killing animals and wouldn't be opposed to someone impaling him for his injustice to the world.

I never got used to growling and i'm long time fan of hard rock/metal music. Its supposed to sound powerful, brutal ,harsh or demonic - for me its simply boring and silly,even when i'm impressed by instrumental parts. Every time i listen to death metal i get that absurd mental image of growler performing "we are the world" with Michael Jackson or national anthem for sport event opening...

Back