My video card collection's website - The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration

Nice.. the Q3D X24 was among one of my all time favorite video cards.. (though I desperately always wanted a E&S, Evans & Sutherland Quad R200/R300 used in their 5500-6500 sims, just for WOW factor)

Hmm, indeed, the first time I saw an X-24 I couldn't believe it, such awesomeness. :cool:

Need a Kyro Prophet 64MB 4000XT by hercules? Shop I work for has one in PCI laying in a bucket. Not sure what the boss would want for it.

Hi Xman, unfortunately not, I've already got a Kyro PCI. Thanks very much for asking though. ;)

Have to say, that yours collection is best 3D cards one i've seen and some cards were to me big suprise.
But there's little small but - haven't found nowhere on site Permedia 2V chip. You count it as standart Permedia 2 chip, or you have it and have no time to put it on page?
Don't know any diferences between these chips (well Permedia 2 made at Phillipines with Texas Instruments logo and 2V at Malta and without TI logo), because it's almost imposible find info about 2V version.

Have to say, that yours collection is best 3D cards one i've seen and some cards were to me big suprise.
But there's little small but - haven't found nowhere on site Permedia 2V chip. You count it as standart Permedia 2 chip, or you have it and have no time to put it on page?
Don't know any diferences between these chips (well Permedia 2 made at Phillipines with Texas Instruments logo and 2V at Malta and without TI logo), because it's almost imposible find info about 2V version.

Thanks for the kind words.

The 2V was a low cost version of the Permedia 2 (like Mx), but I can't 100% be sure.

Loved the time line, forgot how bad companies used to be with launches.:LOL:
I was just having a look at the PCX1 bar, and I thought it was announced at the "Autumn" Comdex in 95, which must have been in November.

(I have a scan of the brochure that was given out back then and a comment in my code that was checked in at the start of that month :) )

I was just having a look at the PCX1 bar, and I thought it was announced at the "Autumn" Comdex in 95, which must have been in November.

(I have a scan of the brochure that was given out back then and a comment in my code that was checked in at the start of that month :) )

You could be right, I did not make the time line, I've just added 1994 and 2003 and one or two more cards. I might be that the PCX1 technology was announced by NEC already a bit before Comdex 1995?

There is very very little information left on the net anymore unfortunately. :???:

I found this item :

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1995_March_27/ai_16705486/

Where it already mentiones PowerVR tech back in March 1995, so it's possible the official announcement was before Comdex?

Ps. In the next two weeks or so, I've got two special cards coming in. One of them you will like very much Simon, it's a 3 in one videologic board, boxed. The other card will be a secret for now. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[EOCF] Tim;1387418 said:
I found this item :

Where it already mentiones PowerVR tech back in March 1995, so it's possible the official announcement was before Comdex?

Ps. In the next two weeks or so, I've got two very special cards coming in. One of them you will like very much Simon, it's a 3 in one videologic board, boxed. The other card will be a secret for now. :)

Rampage.. Rampage.. Rampage .. ?!!

[EOCF] Tim;1387431 said:
Haha no no, that my friend would be too good to be true. **** ***** though. ;) *woops

Does it have a power brick ?? hehe .. (I always liked the idea of an external power brick.. help alleviate computer PSU some as well as PCI slot).. now I can't wait for the update.. damn you tease

Didn't Asus make a TOP version (forget what GPU though) that had an external power brick ? Thought they did but it drew a lot of flack by many.

Didn't Asus make a TOP version (forget what GPU though) that had an external power brick ? Thought they did but it drew a lot of flack by many.

You're right, that was the ASUS Extreme N7800GT Dual :

psu.jpg

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=3654&page=2

[EOCF] Tim;1387415 said:
I found this item :

That's likely to have been an arcade solution.
Ps. In the next two weeks or so, I've got two very special cards coming in. One of them you will like very much Simon, it's a 3 in one videologic board, boxed.
Apocalypse 5D Sonic?

Right, two 'small' teaser shots. (board has got engineering tag as well, but isn't on pics) :smile: :smile:

I'm recapping my motherboard this weekend, should have it up and running soon. Card isn't functioning at the moment, but cause is suspected. Repairs shouldn't be a problem if it is that (I hope! lol).

The board came from a 3dfx lead engineer. Oscar from V6k Team knew him and facilitated the deal. Many thanks goes out to him!

ps. Pictures don't show the engineering tag but is present.

More on this later. Main priority is getting it up and running.

This is how the board arrived, with severe burn marks around CR3/CR4. According to a 3dfx engineer the diodes were added in to provide voltage bias for core on VSA-100 when the I/O voltage is coming up faster then the core. 3dfx engineers had not seen latchup on the chip, so the diodes are unnecessary. The board can run fine without it, doesn't need to be replaced. Shame the diodes went though. The diodes had already been removed when I received the card.

A lot of cleaning up, including a good clean of the entire PCB, front and back and here she is, looking a lot better. Amazingly clean PCB as well, not a scratch.

Other boards on the way are a SiS Xabre 600, Videologic Apocalypse 5D (boxed), I bought a Canopus Spectra 2500 a little while ago, boxed with all accesoires. Perhaps a normal Apocalypse 5D as well.

I should have some more coming in relatively soon.

Interesting to see a voodoo5 6000 in the flesh after so many years.

I can't help but notice that one of the large induction coils at the top left of the board has been mounted upside down. Not that I expect it to make any difference, but it looks a little odd.

(Deliberately avoids making any jokes about mexican build quality... :))

Back