My video card collection's website - The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration

[EOCF] Tim;1290774 said:
Hi,

Some of you might know me on here, some not.

My name is Timber (or Tim for short) and I’ve been collecting video cards for quite some time now. Back in December I decided to make a website for my collection. It’s called The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration, and it covers all high end graphics cards from the very beginning of 3D in 1994, to 2003. The site contains many retail cards and also some very rare pieces of hardware, including prototypes.

This is purely a hobby, I’m not a 3D professional in any way, I’ve just got a big passion for 3D acceleration, games, and the hardware that runs them.

My goal is to keep this part of early 3D acceleration alive, sort of like a hardware museum if you like.

I don’t particularly like websites that are a work in progress, but I had to choose from either showing my collection already, or wait a long time for all the info on the cards to be completed.

Please have a look, and let me know what you think of it, either on here, or via tga3dx@gmail.com

The main picture gallery is under “The Collection – Golden Era” and then select the appropriate year.

www.tga3dx.com

Thanks! :)

You my friend, are a scholar and a saint! Only a very romantic person would do something like that, so +1000000 to your efforts.

I'd like to contribute an idea. How about adding HD videos of these babys? Like i do mine for example! :p I am pretty sure you will do better!

Thanks a million for this site man.

Hey Tim,

I might be able to donate a few boards to your collection. Give me a week or two to catalogue what's reasonably spare and I'll let you take your pick :)

[EOCF] Tim;1327560 said:
Thanks that's very kind of you!

For the record, my friend is not in France right now, so i don't know when he'll be able to give me the Neon 250 (then i will give it to you). He doesn't even know if he still has it somewhere.

For the record, my friend is not in France right now, so i don't know when he'll be able to give me the Neon 250 (then i will give it to you). He doesn't even know if he still has it somewhere.

I understand Rootax, thank you so much for your support! Hope to hear from you soon. :)

Does it have to be a fully working gfx card
I have a couple of components from a prototype fermi board if your interested

Depending on how your data are structured, the "The Timeline" image might be a worthwhile avenue to explore as a navigational tool (at first, I thought it was).

Hi Zaphod, I finally got around to making the timeline an imagemap, took a while, because of having practically no time for hobbys. Not to mention having had to put a million anchors in as well, but it's working pretty nicely now.

Thanks for your idea, I didn't forget about it. ;)

(also added 1994 to the timeline as best as I could, hard to find solid info on cards, hence missing announce on the two Matrox cards)

http://www.tga3dx.com/Timeline.html

I'm finalising equipment to take some nice pictures, (read not so amateurish) of the cards, just need to find a suitable tripod now. I've updated one or two things as well over the last couple of months, might be worth checking out the updates page :

http://www.tga3dx.com/Updates.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that I've moved, I'll (honestly!) sort my collection out and make some donations (it's not the B3D way to do things on time :LOL:)

There's "my" old Warp5 still! I actually found the original BIOS chip from the card cleaning up my garage a few days ago. It's exactly the same except for running the card at 60mhz instead of 66mhz, so it's not really good for anything.

I see you have the Canopus Pure 3D. A 6 meg version of the 3dfx Voodoo Graphics. Very cool. I always wanted that card, but couldn't justify the extra cost. :D

Oh, it was really good card, Canopus denoted my one while I was working at the Mesa/OpenGL drivers back in '90.

This is a picture of another beautiful 3Dfx card from Quantum3D I still have:

file.php

Gfx cards with daughter boards are sexy ;)

For some reason I didn't get an email of new replies, sorry for the delay in posting back!

I'm slowly building a driver database for the cards, because they are quite quickly vanishing too. Also trying to save patches, and benchmarks etc etc.

Now that I've moved, I'll (honestly!) sort my collection out and make some donations (it's not the B3D way to do things on time :LOL:)

Haha, I know how it goes :LOL:

No worries, if you find anything interesting, please give a shout. :)

There's "my" old Warp5 still! I actually found the original BIOS chip from the card cleaning up my garage a few days ago. It's exactly the same except for running the card at 60mhz instead of 66mhz, so it's not really good for anything.

Hey, how are you? Yup the card is still doing fine, still absolutely loving it, such a great card.

Very impressive! Be sure to find way to preserve them long after our generation vanishes lol :D

Will do, I'm not selling them. :p

Oh, it was really good card, Canopus denoted my one while I was working at the Mesa/OpenGL drivers back in '90.

Lovely Q3D board, that was quite a spectacular card, very nice to see you still have the box too! Well done for keeping it.

Last edited by a moderator:

file.php

[EOCF said:
Tim]Lovely Q3D board, that was quite a spectacular card, very nice to see you still have the box too! Well done for keeping it.

Nice.. the Q3D X24 was among one of my all time favorite video cards.. (though I desperately always wanted a E&S, Evans & Sutherland Quad R200/R300 used in their 5500-6500 sims, just for WOW factor)

[EOCF] Tim;1290774 said:
Hi,

Some of you might know me on here, some not.

My name is Timber (or Tim for short) and I’ve been collecting video cards for quite some time now. Back in December I decided to make a website for my collection. It’s called The Golden Era of 3D Acceleration, and it covers all high end graphics cards from the very beginning of 3D in 1994, to 2003. The site contains many retail cards and also some very rare pieces of hardware, including prototypes.

This is purely a hobby, I’m not a 3D professional in any way, I’ve just got a big passion for 3D acceleration, games, and the hardware that runs them.

My goal is to keep this part of early 3D acceleration alive, sort of like a hardware museum if you like.

I don’t particularly like websites that are a work in progress, but I had to choose from either showing my collection already, or wait a long time for all the info on the cards to be completed.

Please have a look, and let me know what you think of it, either on here, or via tga3dx@gmail.com

The main picture gallery is under “The Collection – Golden Era” and then select the appropriate year.

www.tga3dx.com

Thanks! :)

Need a Kyro Prophet 64MB 4000XT by hercules? Shop I work for has one in PCI laying in a bucket. Not sure what the boss would want for it.

Back