AMD RD890,RS880, and RX880

Not great news, sadly. Fudzilla

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/14741/1/

The chipset that makes up the backbone of AMD's Leo platform, codenamed RD890, was supposed to come in Q4 2009 and with him also the Leo platform.

Now it looks like that the platform got a bit delayed and that Leo won't be arriving before early 2010. Leo is all about 45nm processors that will be arriving in 2010 and the ones that have already been announced. It supports AM3 socket, DDR3 memory, HT 3.0 and Crossfire multi GPU technology.

The IGP RS version as well. Maybe they want to work on the TDP?

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1469043/amd-785g-motherboards-tip

INTREPID INQ SPIES have caught a sneaky glimpse of Gigabyte's and Asus' new 785G mainboards on an Aussie hardware e-tailer's website, which was purportedly selling them. Sadly, the links were quickly disabled, but we did manage to grab some screenshots and the specs before the information disappeared.

A few boards from other firms have also tipped up on Chinese hardware sites, with Jetway's 785G MoBo here and Biostar's here.

Oh, and it appears that NewEgg is selling the boards now, too

I recall reading that the 785G was to be aimed more towards the lower end & had been planning on waiting for something a little more ..... refined (?) before I started building.

I recall reading that the 785G was to be aimed more towards the lower end & had been planning on waiting for something a little more ..... refined (?) before I started building.
Yeah a bit odd imho. Looks like 785G IGP is only clocked at 500Mhz, so it might be faster than the (same clocked) 780G but probably lose against the faster clocked 790G versions (but have more features), which so far don't seem to get an update.
I guess for "real" 8-series boards you need to wait until next year, maybe SB800 isn't ready yet. Also, if you're interested in the non-igp parts, there's no point for an updated northbridge only anyway, as other than igp it doesn't really seem to be any different at all.

It wasn't just the chipset I was waiting for. Lower TDP, HKMG, DDR3 price drop & DX11 GPU.

The DDR3 price is a lot better now but I've heard/read nothing about HKMG. 95W 945 is due end of month tho & if I decide to pass on IGP I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by the review of the Gigabyte 770 board. If it came with cooling on the VRMs I'd be very tempted, due to the price & claimed performance.

Guess I'll try to hold out a little longer. I'll try beating my Willpower with a large stick & see if that helps.

I don't like the lack of a parallel port (I have a 600dpi laser printer connected to mine right now)

Well each to his own I guess, personally I'd prefer the space on the backplate to be used for something more up-to-date! USB-to-parallel adapters are available, are they not?

Well each to his own I guess, personally I'd prefer the space on the backplate to be used for something more up-to-date! USB-to-parallel adapters are available, are they not?
It doesn't need to be on the backplate. I use the parallel header on my 780G mobo.

it looks like the pictured mobos have a parallel port header next to the power connector.
so I've been an ass. thanks!

I hope they put out real cheap motheboards too.

@ Blazkowicz.
Price on the 785 seems reasonable, at least compared to how we usually get screwed on prices in the UK.. Bit higher than the Giga-Byte 770.
Had a quick check on the Asus website for the spec's of the one in the link & it seems the second PCI-e x16 is only running at x4 width. One in the link has a Parallel header.

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Asus...-DDR3-1800(OC)-1600(OC)-SATA-II-SATA-RAID-VGA

They list a couple of mATX boards even cheaper but haven't got pictures of those up just yet. They are all pre-order.

hoom said:
Which chipset is it thats got IOMMU? (ie peripheral virtualisation)

Server. Charlie at semi-Accurate had a picture or two a while ago, if I recall correctly.

EDIT: http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/06/04/ati-890-chipset-pictured/

It said, "AMD SR5890 + SP5100 chipset", that is the name of the RS890 when you put it on a server board. The board is called the S8212, and it has two sockets. As you can see, there are 16 DIMM slots, 1 16x PCIe, 3 8x PCIe, and a few older slots as well. It has the usual 6 SATA ports, 2 ethernet, and a VGA out that doesn't stink.

This part will not only bring the server world into rezes higher than 1024*768 (YAY!!!!), but also adds some very nifty features like an IOMMU.

Last edited by a moderator:
Link to AMD PDF.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/34434.pdf

The IOMMU extends the concept of protection domains (domains for short) first introduced with the DEV. The
IOMMU allows each I/O device in the system to be assigned to a specific domain and a distinct set of I/O page
tables. When an I/O device attempts to read or write system memory, the IOMMU intercepts the access,
determines the domain to which the device has been assigned, and uses the TLB entries associated with that
domain or the I/O page tables associated with that I/O device to determine whether the access is to be permitted
as well as the actual location in system memory that is to be accessed.

All too complicated for me. Only played with Sun Virtualbox out of curiosity ... once.

Means you can run a virtualised old OS for legacy games instead of having to dual boot.
At least, thats what has piqued my interest.

Back