iPhone/Zune/iPod & More Prediction Thread

And I'm 90% surethat the iPhone 3Gs has the same CPU as the current just clock higher and maybe a die shrink.
what do you mean by CPU? if it's the entire application processor die, then no - the GPU is a large enough change that you would say it's not the same AP anymore. if it's the CPU part alone then it could be a higher clocked arm11 just as well, but i don't see how one could be so sure of that, unless you know something the rest of us don't.

Given that they have stated its openGL es2.0, then its definitely NOT the same AP just clocked faster, as that AP has MBX which is only ES1.1 compatible.

I'm more confident that it is the S5PC100 Cortex A8, given that apple are saying:-
1) its about twice as fast
2) its GL Es2.0
3) it has better battery life.

I "outed" that processor back in mid-april as a likely candidate for the ihpone on this post:-
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1283065&postcount=106

And that post was thereafter referenced by many other online news sites.

a terrible thought is that it just *could* be the S3C6410 with samsungs own in-house Open GL2.0 (then do have one), but thats too horrible to think about given that both samsung AND apple are IMG licencees, and apple is an IMG shareholder.

Hmm, so could games support specific OGL 2.0 features and if the game detects 3G-S, then it would load with a different profile and offer extra graphics features?

If not this year, by next year, there would be a wide enough HW gap that developers would be faced with the dilemma of only supporting the latest models or supporting extra features on the latest models.

Then again, it seems the most popular iPhone games aren't the most graphically-intensive ones.

Given that they have stated its openGL es2.0, then its definitely NOT the same AP just clocked faster, as that AP has MBX which is only ES1.1 compatible.

I'm more confident that it is the S5PC100 Cortex A8, given that apple are saying:-
1) its about twice as fast
2) its GL Es2.0
3) it has better battery life.

I "outed" that processor back in mid-april as a likely candidate for the ihpone on this post:-
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1283065&postcount=106

And that post was thereafter referenced by many other online news sites.

a terrible thought is that it just *could* be the S3C6410 with samsungs own in-house Open GL2.0 (then do have one), but thats too horrible to think about given that both samsung AND apple are IMG licencees, and apple is an IMG shareholder.

It is SGX for sure.
They have some sort of middleware code emulating OpenGL ES 1.x with custom shaders etc ...

Quoting from the latest OpenGL ES doc on the OpenGL ES developer page
--------
The PowerVR SGX is the graphics processor in Apple’s newest iPhones and is
designed for OpenGL ES 2.0. The graphics driver for the PowerVR SGX also
implements OpenGL ES 1.1 by efficiently implementing the fixed-function
pipeline using shaders. More information about PowerVR technologies can be
found in the PowerVR Technology Overview. Detailed information about the
PowerVR SGX can be found in the POWERVR SGX OpenGL ES 2.0 Application
Development Recommendations.
------------

warmi...thanks for the confirmation about SGX. It doesn't happen to say whether its SGX520 or 530, 535 anywhere ?

The problem is that openGL ES 2.0 isn't backwards compatible with 1.1...
Does that mean that all games will have to be rewritten for the 3GS?
If so "boo hoo" apple...

Pretty much everything about the new iPhone impresses me except for two things:

* Wut? No front-facing camera STILL? iPhone's pretty much the only 3G handset not capable of videocalls. Certainly the only one in its market segment.

* The pricetag. $700 for 32GB model, +$100 for 16GB flashram, someone please tell apple it's not 2006 anymore....

I'm very tempted by this phone, but the the idiot decision not to include front camera and the stupid pricing that is so clearly good ol' apple-tax ripoff of its customers makes me want to say no on general principle.

Hmm, so could games support specific OGL 2.0 features and if the game detects 3G-S, then it would load with a different profile and offer extra graphics features?

Yes, you just request a 2.0 GL context for more advanced graphics. All existing games will continue to work with the 1.1 context.

If not this year, by next year, there would be a wide enough HW gap that developers would be faced with the dilemma of only supporting the latest models or supporting extra features on the latest models.

This is already a reality across the iPhone/iPod touch line. The differences in speed and built-in hardware mean that some apps have only been released for later models.

The problem is that openGL ES 2.0 isn't backwards compatible with 1.1...
Does that mean that all games will have to be rewritten for the 3GS?
If so "boo hoo" apple...

Existing games will run fine, new games running 2.0 won't run on old hardware. The inclusion of 2.0, and the certain appearance of decent "2.0 only" 3D games running on a quicker processor, might very well be another leverage that Apple wanted to get their current user base to upgrade to an "S" iphone.

The exclusion of the front facing camera makes perfect sense when viewed from a Steve Jobs perspective. The decision was made simply because its extra hardware that actually NO ONE uses, so instead fit hardware that people will use, such as the compass.

Where's the source for this supposition of yours?

Back in the real world, it's not hardware that NO ONE uses. Deaf people regularly make use of video calls, for reasons I'm sure you can figure out yourself :) I'm sure others find it useful as well.

I'd venture a guess and say video call capability would see far more use than the newfangled compass will. When in everyday life do you ever find a need for one? I can't think of a single goddamn time I've personally needed one in the last 20ish years...

Supposition ?, I'm in the real world, I don't know anyone that uses video calling other than as a gimmick.

I do not however have hearing-impaired friends.

Its a choice between including hardware that a very small percentage of the public will genuinely find useful, and including hardware that everyone will find useful. I'm glad apple are big enough not to follow a dead-end trend

It is SGX for sure.
They have some sort of middleware code emulating OpenGL ES 1.x with custom shaders etc ...

Quoting from the latest OpenGL ES doc on the OpenGL ES developer page
--------
The PowerVR SGX is the graphics processor in Apple’s newest iPhones and is
designed for OpenGL ES 2.0. The graphics driver for the PowerVR SGX also
:?: Do you have a link?

Does anyone know why there are no iPhone 3G S hands-on articles? Gizmodo had one for a few minutes (after the keynote) but then it disappeared...

Does AT&T even support video calls?

In Europe, there's a premium on video call charges IIRC.

Video calls (for the last 2 years) are part of all the unlimited data plans in Europe (in France for sure) .So if you have a 2h voice plan/month it means that you can also make 2 hours of video calls. No extra fee. A call is a call (with video or without).

it's in the platform notes from the latest edition of the gl es programming guite for the iphone. link
Ah.. I assumed the OP meant it was on the Khronos site. I'm not an Apple developer so I'll take your word for it :)

Back