iPhone/Zune/iPod & More Prediction Thread

The dock does make good sense in my mind, but it doesn't make sense not to *also* have a HDMI port on the device. Oh well, I really should stop expecting too much from MS. I bet this is the same kind of retarded reasoning that led to the Palm Pre not having microSDHC (zomg it'll ruin the exterior!)

Also, they are in the weird position where they are both cheaper and more expensive in different ways than an iPod Touch. This is not an ideal competitive positioning. They really should have made two SKUs like Apple will. Oh well, live and learn - at least it should be a very solid foundation unlike the original Zune. And the two biggest selling points IMO (battery life & gaming) haven't even been unveiled yet... :) I might be tempted to buy one if it's cheap enough, although I love the iPhone/iPod Touch apps too much to consider it as a potential replacement.

Probably licensing costs for HDMI ports?

Also, Apple has these specialized video out cables which are like $50 because they put in a DRM chip of some kind.

Maybe a similar situation with the Zune dock.

HDMI royalties are $0.05-$0.15 depending on whether you show the HDMI logo (see: http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/terms.aspx) - so if that's the reason, that's even dumber. BTW, another big deception I have is the lack of video streaming from PC to Zune (to TV) via WiFi - unless they just didn't talk about it.

BTW, I wonder if it's the same 3.3" 480x272 AMOLED as these two PMPs: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...CODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...mp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001NXDC4O - and I wonder how much it actually costs in high volumes! Certainly these price points would tend to support a 16GB version at $199, which might indeed be a successful product if it's polished enough and the battery life numbers are what I expect them to be (hint: one more digit in every category than the iPod)

$199 would be terrific price. That really underprices the iPod Touch.

But I think they're holding off on the price to see what cards Apple plays.

They have to ship in volume or else this is little more than a tech demo.

For instance, the Pre may not be able to meet demand and they may not be able to commit to production of higher volumes until they see what the demand is or they get some cash flow coming in.

Now that even the Zune HD comes with an OLED multi-touch screen, do you think this makes it more likely that the iPhone will have one as well in June?

Regarding the CPU of the next iPhone, there seems to be a consensus out there among analysts that it will have 600 MHz, the question seems to be if it's ARM11 or Cortex. Lately Cortex ("double the horsepower") seems to be the safer bet according to some sources.
http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2...ails-and-predictions-continue-to-multiply.ars

The June/July iPhone is 2,1. The current iPod Touch is also 2,1. The 3,1 comes later, probably Q4. I'm really not sure how this isn't completely obvious but heh :) I wouldn't bother listening to analysts who are clearly speculating.

If not this year, then hopefully next year.

Although, I'm not sure how heavily video is used on these things. I've viewed some podcasts here and there and I even loaded some movies, including the digital copies of The Dark Knight and Wall E from the Blu-Rays I bought.

But I've never sat down and bothered to watch them, not even on long flights. I would watch the Blu-Rays at home instead.

Apple isn't known for pushing specs.

Question is how much silicon they need at a given time to support the software and the features they want.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised about components like OLED but not counting on it.

The June/July iPhone is 2,1. The current iPod Touch is also 2,1. The 3,1 comes later, probably Q4. I'm really not sure how this isn't completely obvious but heh :) I wouldn't bother listening to analysts who are clearly speculating.
IF there are two iPhone versions that will be released this year, do we have any other rumors besides the camera one (3.2MP summer, 5MP later this year) that they will come out 3-6 months apart? Why can't they release them together this summer? A 8GB entry model (iPhone 2,1 based on the iPod touch hardware, so very little work needed) for $99 and the 16GB ($199) and 32GB ($299) "new" iPhone (3,1). Apple did something similar with the MacBook (white one went down to $999 and got upgraded hardware when the unibody came out).

question is will iPhone 2,1 feature SGX520 and 3,1 SGX530?
Well, if Arun's right then the iPhone (WWDC) will essentially just be last years iPod Touch with 3G, GPS, a 3.2MP camera and maybe a slightly higher clocked CPU (10%-20%). That would mean no SGX until iPhone 3,1 later this year.

$199 would be terrific price. That really underprices the iPod Touch.

But I think they're holding off on the price to see what cards Apple plays.
I don't think Microsoft can hold off on the price until September.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope they do because the Zune HD looks real sexy. Just wish they added tilt and a mic which costs what $5?

Although no mention of a mic, there was mention of an accelerometer. I'm sure details will be announced next week. Gotta be patient. ;)

Tommy McClain

Paul Thurrott got a few more details...

http://community.winsupersite.com/b...e-zune-hd-and-zune-xbox-live-integration.aspx

a new "Zune" link will replace the Video Marketplace link in the Xbox New Experience (NXE) UI that you see on the console today.
"Zune is growing," Seitz said. "It's a complete software + services layer. Zune is about music and videos. On the Xbox next week, we'll talk about Zune in the context of the Xbox Video Marketplace. We're making huge improvements to the navigation and the look and feel. We will also discuss other cool features and capabilities that the service will have."
"There are a total of three buttons on the thing," he said. "On the front, near the bottom, is a silver button that takes you back to the home menu. There's a rocker on the upper left that you can use for volume up and down and to trigger onscreen transport [Play, Pause, Next, etc.] controls. And there's a power button on the top. That's it."
The Zune HD web browser is based on a "flavor" of Internet Explorer 6, Seitz said, "but you won't recognize that. We did heavy, heavy customization work on the UI, and it's optimized for multi-touch, gestures, and finger-based navigation instead of a stylus."

Tommy McClain

iPhone 2Q09 @ ~$99
Same app processor as iPod Touch 2G
3.2MP with ISP - see product brief
Qualcomm MSM6290 Baseband
802.11g/BT2, unknown chip(s)

iPhone 4Q09 @ ~$299
App processor with SGX & VXD for 1080p decode
5MP with ISP & BSI - see product brief
Qualcomm MSM6290 Baseband
802.11n/BT2/etc. BCM4329
AMOLED

Hm, the iPhone 3GS ($199/$299) looks to be too powerful (2x-4x) to have the same app processor as the iPod touch (even at ~600MHz). And since the iPhone 3G will still be sold at $99, I really don't see the possibility for an iPhone Pro/HD (as a 3rd version in Q4/09 starting at $349 or more) until next years WWDC.

Very strange, now we're back to having no idea what the iPhone 3,1 could be (unless it's just the "normal" 2010 iPhone)...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/08/iphone-3gs-announced/

Back