Updated my programming portfolio website

http://www.dbarnhart.ca

I'm just looking for some feedback on my website if you have a minute. What sort of projects do you think I should do/add to make myself more employable? I'm thinking of writing a raytracer and photo mapper on the CELL of my PS3 after I finish my concurrent garbage collector and compiler. Any other suggestions? Know of anyone who wants a summer intern? :D

Thanks for your help,

Darryl Barnhart

Computer engineering at Waterloo eh? I'm in that right now :) Why only 2 years tho, what happened? Work load too much?
No the work load wasn't too much, I just wasn't ready for it. The way I look at it though, I've already experienced colossal personal failure, and built the emotional tools to deal with it. Now the next time that happens (and inevitably it does by chance), I can just roll with the punches. I'm a much stronger and more disciplined person as a result. Plus, that I got in at all, I think says something.

I do hope to go back to Waterloo one day though, but this time in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics.

Say hello to the Computer Science Club guys for me though. :D Are David Belanger, Tor or Michael Biggs still around? They are all great guys. I should drop by again sometime.

As a note about the website, the background seems to "white". Might look a bit better with an off-white background.

No the work load wasn't too much, I just wasn't ready for it. The way I look at it though, I've already experienced colossal personal failure, and built the emotional tools to deal with it. Now the next time that happens (and inevitably it does by chance), I can just roll with the punches. I'm a much stronger and more disciplined person as a result. Plus, that I got in at all, I think says something.

I do hope to go back to Waterloo one day though, but this time in Computer Science or Applied Mathematics.

Say hello to the Computer Science Club guys for me though. :D Are David Belanger, Tor or Michael Biggs still around? They are all great guys. I should drop by again sometime.

Computer Engineering >>>>> Computer Science any day!! XD

I'm not in the computer science club but if I ever happen to cross paths with them I'll make sure to mention your name :)

In regards to the website all the independent projects are great. Companies love to see that you've done stuff on your own, that you have the curiosity and motivation to pursue goals without somebody hounding you to do it. But you know what the #1 way to get employed in the tech industy is? Waterloo Co-Op. hehe

I know. I just finished a deferred renderer thing for class. Does blobby water droplets (reflection, refraction/distortion) and per pixel lighting. It's pretty cool. I'll probably add wetness and tone mapping on Firday.

image0.png

While it was a class project, this kind of rendering is most definately not! lol

Though I have to say, I had a few real headaches with it and they always seemed to involve mipmaps. I couldn't bind a texture to an FBO unless it has them generated. Then when I did my distortion for the water, it kept accessing mipmaps that weren't defined when I was offsetting my texture coordinates. So I ended up calling glGenerateMipmaps on the texture in question before rendering and it was fine. I still don't know why it needs them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another update:

I participated in a weekend game making event called TOJam. There's going to be a public showing of my creation among many others in Toronto on Friday, in case anyone is in the area.

www.tojam.ca

I'll be updating my website with the program and related information after the show, but I'll give you guys an overview of what I did:

• GPU simulated flame propagation
  • HDR bloom/streaks
  • 2D shader metaballs
  • Per-pixel phong lighting and refraction
  • Various colour adjustments
  • Fire and water shaders
  • Velocity field based motion blur
  • OpenGL, FBOs, GLSL, GLEW, Win32, Boost, MSVC 9.0
Unfortunately, I have endless problems getting GLSL and FBOs to play nice together on ATI cards. Because I can only debug on ATI through friends, as I don't own a card, it's very unlikely they will be supported. It's very odd, I can write a shader with a certain constant and it works, change the number and it crashes on FBO operations following the use of that shader.

Still, for two weeks work I think it's pretty good.

Currently, I'm installing YDL on my PS3 so I can try my hand at writing a raytracer. I'm hoping I won't spend much time working on it, by finding a real programming job first. No luck so far. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back