Why id Software’s Rage Will Shine on the PS3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nonsense.

Direct3D isn't at some major disadvantage to Opengl ES.

I believe ID has already stated that there will be "marginal" differences between the PS3 and X360 versions meaning ID seeks parity thus any superior version nonsense need be layed to rest.

ID isn't going to go out of their way to make the X360 version look worse by virtue or by mishandling. Not saying ID isn't capable if they wanted...but they don't, unless they've had a drastic change of heart recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Utter, total bunk.
The facts are wrong (there is no ES 1.2), the descriptions are wrong (DirectX "eventually discontinued" retained mode?), the conclusion doesn't fit the evidence and there's no reason to think iT5 would be using PSGL in the first place. And that's all apart from id stating that the 360 is the lead platform, using DirectX.

MistaPi,

It's probably not wise to look at a PS3 fansite for technical comparisons or how games can be expected to run on competing platforms.

It's interesting to note that the article is not signed. I would have liked to know how whoever wrote it managed to get so many things wrong. I'm not going to comment on the spelling errors.

The author's whole point is that Rage will be a better fit for PS3 because it was based on OpenGL whilst the PS3 uses OpenGL-ES and XBOX 360 does not. The author even goes out of his way to mention that the article is not referring to the storage issue (for Rage).

Firstly, as stated by JC a LONG time ago, id Tech 5 has the most API-agnostic renderer ever, especially BECAUSE they want to hit on all four platforms without degradation.

Secondly, OpenGL and OGL-ES may share somethings but aren't the same.

Thirdly, by JC's own words there won't be any perf differences between OGL and D3D (on PC) which isn't surprising because of point 1.

Fourthly, JC's continued harping about the memory split and how PS3 is always the first platform they keep hitting memory limits on tells me that Rage will not "shine" on PS3. It will, in the end, be very much like the XBOX 360 version (if you, like the author did, ignore the storage issue - which is still unresolved from what we know thus far).

I'm pretty sure, they won't use OpenGL ES on PS3.
John Carmack reaffirms Linux support (and OpenGL for now)
Id Software has developed id Tech 5 with multi-platform capabilities in mind with the first game based on that engine, Rage, having been announced for PC, Macintosh, Xbox 360 and the PS3. It has been known for some time that the renderer was fairly API agnostic. From previous reports we know that Rage will use D3D on the xbox platform, LibGCM on the PS3 and OpenGL on the Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original post feels a bit like an attempt at starting a console vs console battle. Thank you everyone for not falling victim and exposing the article for the nonsense that it was.

As such, the thread is now closed.
Any questions about Rage can be posted in the Rage thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back