AMD Bulldozer Core Patent Diagrams

I just want to know if they can trade blows with a 2600k.
Why limit it wit 2600k when Intel is supposed to release refreshes of the CPUs this year and a whole new architecture some time around late Q1/early Q2 next year? BD will have to carry AMD for at least a year or two before it gets a meaningful upgrade and it wouldn't be too good if they can only compete with what Intel has out at the moment.

hoho, because the 2600k is the bare minimum to be a player in the enthusiast market. If it can't fight the 2600k it's simply not in the game to begin with and future Intel cpus are irrelevant.

hoho, because the 2600k is the bare minimum to be a player in the enthusiast market.
In a couple of months when 3900 series 6-core CPUs come from Intel to replace current high-end stuff wouldn't AMD similarly become irrelevant for enthusiasts when atm it (theoretically) can just keep up with 2600k?

I hope the currently leaked FX pricing has been set with taking those 3900 series CPUs into account and that FX can beat current 4-core stuff from Intel without too much problems in multi-threaded apps that have at least somewhat decent scaling. Otherwise things will get rather hairy

Yes, you're absolutely right, but AMD could make a grab for the mid-range and put more product out if it got some sort of foothold with the first round of BD. I'd just like to see some competition again...

AMD could make a grab for the mid-range and put more product out if it got some sort of foothold with the first round of BD
That will largely depend when will the FX'es actually be availiable in any random shop and not just as a paperlaunch product.

Also nothing stops Intel to drop the midrange prices lower to put some serious pressure on AMD. They could still sell the high-end stuff at premium and earn tons of money.

We pretty desperately need competition and I am getting tired of subsidizing AMD :) My last 3 processors anyway. I was hoping I could get some decent performance out of an 8 core in games as well for once. I have been on hiatus for awhile more or less.

The L3 performance is the real shocker here. Sometimes I wonder why AMD even bothers to put it in a desktop SKU with such mediocre BW and latency. Bulldozer already can prefetch in the L1/L2, bypassing the L3. Apparently it's only useful in the server line of Opterons as a snoop filter.

It seems the price for Bulldozer went down than what was initially announced... I wonder if it is relative to performance or if it's an initiated price war against Intel...

"Sources among retailers told DonanimHaber that retail prices of AMD's next generation performance desktopprocessor series, the AMD FX, are a lot lower than expected. On October 12, AMD will launch three new parts worldwide, the eight-core FX-8150, FX-8120, and six-core FX-6120, priced at US $245, $205, and $175, respectively. "

http://www.techpowerup.com/152390/AMD-FX-Processor-Prices-Lower-Than-Expected.html

What would be the logic behind starting a price war when they can barely produce enough CPUs? Also considering how many people were waiting for BD to upgrade they should have enough market to sell those things at twice the price for at least a couple of months regardless of performance.

"Piledriver" must nearing tape-out. Looks like the first generation BD is set for a fire sell right from the day one. :(

"Piledriver" must nearing tape-out. Looks like the first generation BD is set for a fire sell right from the day one. :(

Piledrvier taped out with Trinity didn't it?
BTW I saw on another forum leaked mobile roadmaps from AMD stating Trinity will enter mass production Jan'12 :D.

What would be the logic behind starting a price war when they can barely produce enough CPUs? Also considering how many people were waiting for BD to upgrade they should have enough market to sell those things at twice the price for at least a couple of months regardless of performance.

Well I was basing it on how AMD's been putting out better price/performance on their pricing scheme.

Back