[360, PS3] Assassin's Creed 2

can someone who owns the PS3 version comment on the framerate? The framerate in AC1 made it totally unplayable for me.
The framerate is supposedly a lot better than AC1 and more or less almost identical to the 360 version. The screen tearing is also reduced, but still more than the 360 version. Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth both did a comparison.

I'm guessing the framerate is same as AC1 one, though the engine is doing significantly more.
Probably the biggest hits are during city side scenery, which happen to be the only beautiful game about AC2. :(

Why, Tearing is basically unnoticeable appearing in parts of the screen you aren't looking at and the only times I notice a framerate hiccup is when I manually move the camera in a "busy" area rest of the time it's fairly solid in game play (although I am only to the second part of the city)

I wasn't going to buy it having read this thread, but having played it for a few hours it's become clear that although they are a good resource, these video comparisons don't always give an accurate picture of what the game is like to play for example Wet which has pretty much constant tearing at the top of the screen where nothing is going on.

It's way better game than the first, but still far from being the great game people let me believe.
Decent at best.

If a game this good only rates as decent to you then you must be pretty miserable this gen. This is easily as good as anything released this gen from gameplay to visuals.

yep this is one of my favorite games so far... loving all of the added things you can do... 10 hours in and only at 28% story completion while moving pretty quickly. I am now going to focus on some side missions and collection and could probably put another 10-20 hours in before advancing the story to open up another area. :cool:

also the best 3D platforming to date (the tombs) IMO

If a game this good only rates as decent to you then you must be pretty miserable this gen. This is easily as good as anything released this gen from gameplay to visuals.
Platforming is shallow and extremely easy most of the time and the combat provides little challenge. I'm not seeing anything special about the core gameplay. Yeah, I get that you climb and explore everywhere and fight anyone, but the manner of doing this is pretty shallow and one note.

Indeed open world games have been nothing but disappointing this gen, save for one.

In AC2 too, you do the same thing over and over again. There is no platforming except for Altair's Armor. Even then all you have to do is to remember to release R1-x, which you have been holding most of the game. (Chase sequences inside tombs are great though, and I enjoyed the platforming there but it may be due lack of anything resembling it outside)

Traveling from one point to another is nothing but torture. Thus, one of the story missions, collecting all the codex pages was probably one of the worst in history.

Combat is a case of no challenge no reward (sometimes even punishing though weirdly being notorious has so little effect in the sequel). Looting is pretty much non-existing aside from the random couriers (nice touch), and occasional item drops if you have empty slots left for them, but you probably don't need or use those cheap items anyway.

Money is off no concern at all, not that I'm complaining but you can skip or speed up most of the repetitive combat easily, leaving only torturous travel. Though choice. :|

Desmond sections up until the credits were all unbearable. In fact I wanted to kill the guy trying to act cool ala a highschool student trying to impress the girls, with Nathan Drake's voice of all people in the world.

Yep, the game is great.

I am in betan's camp on this one, I just started to go after the conspirators and well I am debating why i should continue.

I must confess, open world games never have been a favourite of mine, due to it becoming repeatable to quickly.
Same goes for GTA4 and AC1 to, then again, no open world has been able to drag me along to the end.

Indeed open world games have been nothing but disappointing this gen, save for one.

In AC2 too, you do the same thing over and over again. There is no platforming except for Altair's Armor. Even then all you have to do is to remember to release R1-x, which you have been holding most of the game. (Chase sequences inside tombs are great though, and I enjoyed the platforming there but it may be due lack of anything resembling it outside)

Traveling from one point to another is nothing but torture. Thus, one of the story missions, collecting all the codex pages was probably one of the worst in history.

Combat is a case of no challenge no reward (sometimes even punishing though weirdly being notorious has so little effect in the sequel). Looting is pretty much non-existing aside from the random couriers (nice touch), and occasional item drops if you have empty slots left for them, but you probably don't need or use those cheap items anyway.

Money is off no concern at all, not that I'm complaining but you can skip or speed up most of the repetitive combat easily, leaving only torturous travel. Though choice. :|

Desmond sections up until the credits were all unbearable. In fact I wanted to kill the guy trying to act cool ala a highschool student trying to impress the girls, with Nathan Drake's voice of all people in the world.

Yep, the game is great.

that pretty much applies to any game and any genre in this day and age, unless you are new to games...only cure is to take a break from gaming in general

that pretty much applies to any game and any genre in this day and age, unless you are new to games...only cure is to take a break from gaming in general

You are right, every game has ultra simple combat, non existing platforming and boring Desmond sections etc..

but there are mario games every year (from a quick glance in fact more than 100!!!, making him perhaps the most over used character in gaming history)

Last novemeber COD:WAW released and the way activision plays it with milking sequels, u can guarantee there will be plenty more to come in the following years

Ive always been against the hype/marketing factor in (everything) games, esp when publishers misrepresent their products.
On the subject of reviews (well we know WRT sales they dont matter as much as marketting ) but it would be nice if the reviewers were a bit more critical, look at film reviewers often u will see AAA blockbuster getting absolutely hammered in reviews (though it often doesnt stop ppl turning out in their droves to watch it )

What you called overused and "milking" many of us call giving the consumers (their customers) what they want.

I think more companies would be more successful if they just gave customers what they wanted instead of always changing something (quite often making it worse in the process).

Regards,
SB

What you called overused and "milking" many of us call giving the consumers (their customers) what they want.

I think more companies would be more successful if they just gave customers what they wanted instead of always changing something (quite often making it worse in the process).

Regards,
SB

What about innovation. We would have never got Modern Warfare if they kept giving us what we wanted. A franchise has to keep changing to stay fresh, the trick is to evolve the tested gameplay rather tjan replacing it with something totally new(looks at R2).

Frankly speaking, AC combat required evolving !

So the person that finds a game repetitive should take a break from all games because repetition is a problem inherent to the medium? BS.

So far, I like it. I don't know about huge advances on Assassin's Creed, but they did cut down on a lot of annoyances. Of course, the way they reduced repetitive missions was by giving you far fewer missions and making it so actually completing them is optional. Money's ridiculous, though. It only really hampers you early on in the game, after your second assassination you have as much as you want. I'm earning 10k f every 20 minutes and I just started sequence 4.

Finished it over the weekend. I loved it, but then I loved the first one too. I have no idea what Betan found repetitive, btu it didn't seem thatw ay to me, in fact each mission was much different from the previous one, something that was lacking in the first game.

I didn't bother with most of the assassin contracts, races and beat up events. I did a few, but didn't go out of my way to do them. The new abilities and items were very useful. I suppose if you didn't use them it might make the game a bit more repetitive, but then that would be your fault, not the game. Just because it allows you to run blade first into every situation doesn't mean you have to.

I also already had all the codexes by the time they wanted you to go collect them, so it wasn't a hardship for me.

Annoyances:
  • "Platforming sections" : These were at best boring, and at worst incredibly annoying because of the timed aspect and the fact that it's almost impossible to make Ezio do exactly the right thing every time.
  • The minstrels: They exist solely to annoy you, which is stupid. Not quite as annoying as the village idiots in the last game, but close. I found the best way to deal with them was to throw some money.
  • The fighting: While the fighting was mostly fun, the timing was elusive. I never fully got the hang of it. There's also something wrong with a system where you are at a huge advantage when fighting unarmed against people with swords and spears.

It looks like the next game is going to be about Desmond, with probably a few side trips into his past lives. Looking forward to it.

• The fighting: While the fighting was mostly fun, the timing was elusive. I never fully got the hang of it. There's also something wrong with a system where you are at a huge advantage when fighting unarmed against people with swords and spears.
Well~~~ not really.

I found that the hidden blade is better against lightly armed guards while bare handed (aka grab their weapon and return it to them) works much better against the brutes.
But again, I find our primary and secondary weapons totally useless, nor is buying any weapon for the sake of it.
You can basically finish the game bare handed with your hidden blade and you'd be better off than using Altair's sword.
Primary weapon counters rarely instant kill, but hidden blades always do and bare hands almost always grabs away their weapon, which also sets up for an instant kill.
At least that's what I did.

I find the 10 consecutive kills without taking any damage quite difficult.
It isn't actually getting 10 conequtive kills and not getting hit that is the hard part, instead it is maintaining the enemy's morale. Once they all flee, your streak is broken.

I got that one in the mission in which you
kill Vieri
. You have a bunch of soldiers with you, and if you walk around and stab everyone in the back without leaving combat it counts.

I'm at the last level now. It's been a very fun ride. Loved the Assassin's Tomb platforming parts. I really enjoyed who much life you feel in the cities. This is something sorely missing in the first one. The stuff in venice was just awesome.

Back