PC help

Cheezdoodles

+ 1
Veteran
A couple of days ago, i got mad, and stupidly enough smashed my fists into my laptop.

Nedless to say, this killed my laptop.

I replaced the harddrive today, reinstalled windows. Everything seems to be working okay, but it seems to me as if everything is running slower than it did before.

Is there any way to test this? Any diagnostic thingy that will allow me to check if more components are not working properly?

I haven't done any 3d benchmarks on it before, so doing this will not leave me with any reference point as to if its faster or slower.

its possible you put in a slower hard drive. Hard drives come in 3 speeds, the slowest is the 4200RPM, mid is the 5400RPM, and the speed demon is the 7200RPM. Find out what speed was the old hard drive and see if its the same or faster then the new one.

Check if the drive swap (well, probably trying to access the broken drive before that) might have confused the HD controller driver enough to have reverted to PIO mode. That certainly would cause Windows to run like molasses and Win isn't clever enough to step it back up again. If so, you'll have to delete the controller from the device manager and redetect it along with your HD on reboot.

Although also be careful with HDD speeds. Newer 5400 rpm 2.5" drives are often faster than 7200 rpm 2.5" drives.

You could also try to check things like if the CPU is being throttled due to overheating (IE - h/s fan assembly was damaged or dislodged).

Regards,
SB

Although also be careful with HDD speeds. Newer 5400 rpm 2.5" drives are often faster than 7200 rpm 2.5" drives.
While there are some outliers that may follow your description in terms of raw transfer rate (very high density drives, like 500GB 5400RPM, compared to lower density 100GB 7200RPM), those are not the norm - and higher spindle speeds will still result in lower seek access times.

Effectively, if you compare a 5400RPM and 7200RPM pair of drives with capacities within ~50% of eachother, the 7200RPM drive will still end up being the faster one in nearly all circumstances.

So, that being said, whoever mentioned that you look at the drive speed has the right idea - that would be my first culprit.

Check if the drive swap (well, probably trying to access the broken drive before that) might have confused the HD controller driver enough to have reverted to PIO mode. That certainly would cause Windows to run like molasses and Win isn't clever enough to step it back up again. If so, you'll have to delete the controller from the device manager and redetect it along with your HD on reboot.

How do i check this?

Back