PS3 Firmware 2.7 announced

patsu

Legend
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/04/01/ps3-firmware-v270-update/ (Walkthrough video included).

In addition to Text Chat, we’ve added a few more enhancements:

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)
Sort your friends via their online status
Attach larger files to the messages you send to your friends (file size will increase from 1MB to 3MB)

Video delivery service on PlayStation Store
Video files you’ve purchased from the PlayStation Store can be backed up to an external storage device and then restored to PS3’s internal hard drive for playback – so you can clear up space on your hard drive and then restore the video anytime in the future
Videos you’ve purchased for PSP (PlayStation Portable) system can now be transferred to PS3 for playback

If I remember correctly, the XMB messaging system is used for exchanging LBP level objects. So the attachment file size increase can be useful.

EDIT: Also a browser plugin enhancement: http://www.webwire.com/ViewPressRel.asp?aId=91035

Friends list on the XMB (XrossMediaBar)
Sort your friends via their online status

So what is new about this?

Edit: Watched the video, I see now *yawn*

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping that after SF4, we'd see the firmware offer better support for HID controllers in BC, but that was a probably too much to ask.

Hidden(?) feature: it now tells you how much time let on a download, or at least for a game update (downloading KZ2 patch 1.21).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to be dense, but is the text chat going to work in-game?

Yes. In the video, Eric launched Killzone and used text chat.

In addition, the browser seems faster. Also selecting triangle on a game will allow you to google search the game. Browser includes copy and paste too.

Another nice change, you can activate dynamic volume for music.

Trophies seemed to load faster too. When comparing trophies it shows a "-" if the person doesn't have the same game instead of "0%".

It seems that the chat room stays open, and you can access the same room from any game.

If this is the case, then the new text chat is really a minimalist implementation of the virtual gathering place concept (aka Playstation Home).

I wonder if we can go back to the same chat room (e.g., "B3D") day after day.

I see, so the text chat is in-game, which is nice. :) I won't be using that feature since I'm not much of an online guy, but I see how it could rock big time. Kind of like an MSN chat.

I was kind of hoping for an in game Web browser as well with this firmware update...maybe next time :)

Is that in game? So I could be in a game playing, then hit the XMB and go to the game's icon and hit triangle then internet search?

Haven't tried that, probably not. I did search for killzone 2, because I had this game disc in my console and I wanted to know what that was all about. Apparently it's a game.

I see, so the text chat is in-game, which is nice. :) I won't be using that feature since I'm not much of an online guy, but I see how it could rock big time. Kind of like an MSN chat.

I was kind of hoping for an in game Web browser as well with this firmware update...maybe next time :)

In-game webbrowser has to be supported explicitly by the game.

2.7 also added time sensitive theme support: http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/...0352/Personalise-your-PS3-with-custom-Themes/

The latest version lets you create different themes for different times of the year, as well as including all the latest icons that have been added to the PS3 Home Menu as part of the system software update 2.70.

I'll create one for my wife's and son's coming bday ^_^

EDIT:
The chats great, but the character limit is a bit annoying.

Yeah, they imposed the limit to fit messages into the text notification pop-up (Should have use "..." to truncate messages).

Since the chatroom is "persistent", the GAF guys have created one or two permanent GAF chatrooms for online gaming and casual chatting now. You should ask gofreak (Titanio) or anyone who's in the room to invite you.

bdlbon.jpg

I'll try to create a B3D one when I get to the office.

Just about to install 2.70. I really hope it won't be long before we get cross-game voice-chat. Idon't know how much of a leap from cross-game text-chat that'll be. Same thing in principle, just a more resource hungry system.

More info about the chat room from gofreak (Titanio on B3D):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15325827&postcount=476

Just tried it out..

In terms of stuff working the way it's meant to work, between my own experience with it here, and what others are saying, it's almost shockingly uncharacteristic for Sony :p

My worry number 1 was if I'd have immediate access to the room in-game for chatting..and you do. The XMB remembers you're in the chatroom and brings you back immediately. And there's NO LAG!

The pop-up overlay of new messages is nice, and gives a very nice 'connected' feeling.

Anyone in a room being able to invite others = thumbs up.

Rooms persisting after the starter leaves = thumbs up.

For the first time on PSN I have that 'connected' feeling. And unlike home, where I was headscratching over design decisions and seemingly obvious things that were overlooked, everything here seems well thought out..which is nice..

It can be seen as a minimalist implementation of Home. Now if they could attach a chat room to a Home clubhouse, we'd have automatic membership management, a global name and 3D representation for the chat room. ^_^

Once the chatroom is up, you can invite people who don't want to go Home too. :love:

EDIT:
Just about to install 2.70. I really hope it won't be long before we get cross-game voice-chat. Idon't know how much of a leap from cross-game text-chat that'll be. Same thing in principle, just a more resource hungry system.

All they need to do *if they can optimize voice chat enough* is to allow people to talk over the chat room UI. That way, people who prefer to text chat and people who want voice chat can talk together.

Text chat is great for the following reasons:

* Quiet gaming (e.g., late night shooting in a cramped room, small apartments)

* May be more comfortable for non-English speaking gamers

* Good when the party size is big (Can scroll up and down to see past text)

* More fun to make jokes since people can still maintain their persona (role play) like some do in fora -- See Kittonwy's cat-like personality and messages. ^_^

The way the text chat is designed, it feels like an IM/XMB message from the receiver's point of view. So it's not too intrusive. The UI is quick and one button press away from games too.

Voice chat is great for talking to people you know already, and also for hands-free access.

So, say I'm in the chat, typing, and send a message. Then I hit the PS Button to return to the game.

The next time I hit the PS Button, will it return me to the chat instantly, or do I have to sift through the menus again to open it?

Also, I've heard it was persistent...will it remain "active" if no one is logged, etc? If so, that is REALLY awesome.

Back