VOIP to cellphone...

alexsok

Regular
I have a subscription plan to skype (9.99$) that gives me nearly unlimited time when using my phone (cause i have an adapter so I could use the regular phone) but that only assumes i call LANDLINES. The program doesn't include free calls to israel-cellphones (the country i'm calling) and the rates there are as exorbitant as everywhere else.

I've tried using calling cards... i've tried using alternatives to skype such as VOIP buster, JaJah, Gizmo5, Poketalk and other similar ones, but they all have one thing in common: they either don't allow me to call Israel-Cellphone for free or they require to buy their own version of SkypeCredit to do that (and the rates everywhere are high).

My last resort was Talkster which uses a system that assigns numbers to both parties so for instance i call someone on the number it gave me and then i should stay on the line while they call me back and after a short ad we can talk for free however long we want (there might not even be a local charge incurred, whether the phone call is initiated from landline or mobile!).. but now it turns out that the person i'm calling has no OUTGOING calls.

So, once again, i'm left with one option - finding a service that allows me to make cellphone calls to Israel under a monthly subscription fee (preferably, as cheap as Skype!) as with Skype only i can't find any such services!!! I wouldn't mind them halving the 10000 per month free usage to 5000 but at least give me something other than those ridiculous rates!

I know you guys here are the brightest! Any ideas? ;) Thanks!

The problem is that the cost of the call is managed by the caller, meaning that the cell phone company itself charges anybody who calls into a cell phone. Usually this makes the cheapest way to call a cellphone to be from another cell phone.

The problem is that the cost of the call is managed by the caller, meaning that the cell phone company itself charges anybody who calls into a cell phone. Usually this makes the cheapest way to call a cellphone to be from another cell phone.
True, and when I was living in Israel, indeed it was cheaper to call from cellphone to cellphone, but I live in Toronto now which means that whatever call I make from my cellphone to another cellphone in another country would be outrageously expensive!

Do you have any ideas m8?

Sadly, I suspect that because of the way the system is set up, there probably isn't a way around it.

Sadly, I suspect that because of the way the system is set up, there probably isn't a way around it.
Meaning that Skype or anyone else for that matter would never include calls to cellphones to countries like Israel in their subscription plans even for twice more than they charge now? That would still be MUCH cheaper than the calling rates they offer...

Meaning that Skype or anyone else for that matter would never include calls to cellphones to countries like Israel in their subscription plans even for twice more than they charge now? That would still be MUCH cheaper than the calling rates they offer...
Well, I'm pretty pessimistic, though I suppose it's possible. But hey, at least you're not trying to call Italy. They charge more than twice as much to call cell phones here...

Well, I'm pretty pessimistic, though I suppose it's possible. But hey, at least you're not trying to call Italy. They charge more than twice as much to call cell phones here...
0.354?! This is like 10 bucks for a half hour call... !!!! Calling cards I used, unreliable and screwed up as they're are still cheaper than that! WOW!!

So how expensive do you think a subscription would have to be in order to call to cellphones in these countries?

0.354?! This is like 10 bucks for a half hour call... !!!! Calling cards I used, unreliable and screwed up as they're are still cheaper than that! WOW!!

So how expensive do you think a subscription would have to be in order to call to cellphones in these countries?
Well, one less nice alternative might be to get an Israeli Skype-in number so they can call you.

you need to buy a skype compatible mobile
I have an iphone right now but the thing is that my dataplan is expensive so I only access the internet when a wifi network is nearby and since most of the time they're either not there or locked, I can't access Skype (through programs like Fring) and use it on a cell phone.

Well if you cant use your phone line and you cant use your mobile internet than there isnt much left to use right? If skype and the likes dont work your best bet might be something like a chat app that you can install on your phone and allows you to start a microphone conversation (kinda like MSN/live messenger). Though I have no clue if you actually got something like that for pda's.

Well if you cant use your phone line and you cant use your mobile internet than there isnt much left to use right? If skype and the likes dont work your best bet might be something like a chat app that you can install on your phone and allows you to start a microphone conversation (kinda like MSN/live messenger). Though I have no clue if you actually got something like that for pda's.
Even if we dumb the whole thing down to this, the other person would need to have a phone that would have these programs installed as well, no?

Yes he does. I dont know about the data costs in Canada and Isreal but if its like in Holland (10 euro a month for what I was told when I signed 2.5gb a month as a general FUP) than that is probably the cheapest way to do it if software like that actually exists. Or maybe you are lucky enough that there is a telco that charges special costs to some countries like we do have here as we got alot of people from turkey and Marrocco living here so you can get special relative cheap deals for calling to those countries.

Cant you just call from home to home? That would make things alot easier and totally free :LOL:

Back