Remote game services (OnLive, Gaikai, etc.)

Whats the point of running the game at HD when you're going to butcher it with compression artifacts. Could probably run a few games on a 680 at 480P. ;)

Hmm, this is on GAF

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/24/what-to-expect-from-e3-no-not-xbox-720-and-ps4/

Sony’s first-party effort will revolve around at least two largely unknown core products and Vita. The two titles are likely to generate a great deal of excitement. Also expect Sony to attempt to play a strong “Vita isn’t dead” card.

Big core games on the small screen will be a focus for Sony this year, but, again, expect solidity rather than megatonnage. You may well be blown away by what’s on show, but it’s doubtful you’re going to be too shocked by any of the announcements.

Apart from the partnership deal between PlayStation and a leading cloud gaming service, obviously.

Well, they have to solve BC somehow, given that they are changing Architecture with the PS4: PS4 is going to have 100 cores!
I red that from coffee stains, and 750 BOPS cant be wrong.

Well I read in my tea leaves that PS4 is going to have a secret "Jack-in-a-box" feature, where if you achieve a certain number of platinums in your games you will get a screen pop up with a virtual Jack Tretton that you can talk to/play with "Milo & Kinect"-style ;-)

(Lesson to the kids: don't believe everything you read in the afternoon beverages)

Fudzilla wrote it up too, though I'm inclined to believe they're making shit up from the prior "rumors". Still skeptical myself.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27298-onlive-to-do-a-deal-with-sony?

A number of sources tell us that cloud gaming provider OnLive will announce that it has reached a deal with Sony to allow streaming of games to PlayStation hardware. Details are sketchy at best, but sources insist that the announcement will come during Sony’s E3 presentation.

oh and to throw another one in gaf has uncovered news of a big e3 announcement by gakai

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475485

Gaikai has major announcements for E3, which has the potential to change the future of video game, the game consoles and the way in which we play.

i think i'll be most interested in how many people now change from "onlive/gakai suck" to "onlive/gakai are the best thing since sliced bread" now they've presumably got a console affiliation. i'm guessing a lot of them.

I've always thought this was "playing with fire" as far as consoles go, since it has the potential to make them redundant, but lets see what the details look like, if any, first. A lot of people on GAF speculate it's for backwards compatibility, perhaps particularly of SD era games, which I have to admit does make some sense on the surface (eg, stream PS2/PS1 games?)

I've always thought this was "playing with fire" as far as consoles go, since it has the potential to make them redundant, but lets see what the details look like, if any, first. A lot of people on GAF speculate it's for backwards...
That's my initial reaction. But when you look at Sony and PSS and the idea of device-independent Sony games, it may actually be a direction they'd like to take. Kutaragi himself spoke of cloud based gaming I believe. So how's about Sony pony up the cash to create OnLive servers and create the tools for PlayStation OnLive game development, and these games are then provide to every device a person owns over the net on a subscription basis or other alternative business model? The idea being to shore up streamed game development with light hardware API's making better use of the server hardware than running Windows games, making the Sony stremed platform the itunes of gaming.

It's worth considering as a business.

Fudzilla wrote it up too, though I'm inclined to believe they're making shit up from the prior "rumors". Still skeptical myself.

http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/27298-onlive-to-do-a-deal-with-sony?

oh and to throw another one in gaf has uncovered news of a big e3 announcement by gakai

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475485

i think i'll be most interested in how many people now change from "onlive/gakai suck" to "onlive/gakai are the best thing since sliced bread" now they've presumably got a console affiliation. i'm guessing a lot of them.

I've always thought this was "playing with fire" as far as consoles go, since it has the potential to make them redundant, but lets see what the details look like, if any, first. A lot of people on GAF speculate it's for backwards compatibility, perhaps particularly of SD era games, which I have to admit does make some sense on the surface (eg, stream PS2/PS1 games?)

Tbh I hate the idea of crappy low power thin clients, having all the horse power on the server side and streaming ALL games over the net, i.e. the premise of Onlive/Gaikai pre-E3.

If I can have my powerful console HW that affords me the choice of buying and owning my games, as well as streaming games/demos etc through an internet based service, then I would quite appreciate the added choice.

I don't want Onlive/Gaikai to replace my gaming console, but as an added feature i have no problem with it. And I expect that many you're expecting to change their tune after this announcement, will do so mainly for this reason also. So I don't think you give people enough credit.

If they actually bring PS4 as a cloud platform to PS3/Vita/Bravia/whatever it could be a huge game changer.

They would not make their console a pure streaming box. They'll probably have every game available as a digital download at least if you don't want to mess with disks, but the basic functionality of being able to pop in a disk and play the game without being connected to the internet is absolutely necessary.

Otherwise, consoles would be totally irrelevant.

Although, I do see them allowing you to remotely play any PS4 games you bought on your Vita (or even phone/PC?) using this type of cloud service.

I believe you can basically already do this with PSP-PS3 where you remotely play your PS3 game on your PSP by streaming the raw video over the internet. But a cloud service like Onlive would probably work better because you don't have to keep your console running when you leave home and the upload rate is probably faster too, resulting in smoother response gameplay.

As it is though, most games would probably have to have a "mobile" version to really work as Onlive does of course have input lag. The mobile version of the game would just strip away the elements that require more reflexes and maybe come up with a system to easily jump in and out of gameplay. This would be pretty hard to sell to third-parties who are already trying to figure out how make the game mechanics work on everything from the Wii U to the PSV but I can see Sony's first and second party studios making the extra effort.

Funny looking back at the OP I thought it was an "investor scam"....

BTW gamezindustry.biz is apparently officially saying it's Gakai for PS2 and PS1 BC.

I kind of dont like the fact they'll surely charge for it (or more likely roll it under PSN plus,m same difference), so it isn't BC in the traditional free sense.

But if MS has any brains they'll copy this for Durango rather than waste one iota of resources, software or hardware, on the joke called BC.

Tbh I hate the idea of crappy low power thin clients
Me too. And you bet you'd be forced to pay $250-300 for that crappy thin client as well (just like with the Wii... ;))

Streaming games is OK as a complement, but it can't be relied upon. The net connection hiccuping and killing the player in the process doesn't make for happy campers/customers, for example. Also, low-bandwidth connections and high lag lead to a really bad experience with terrible image quality and poor controls.

Then if they really go this route you're going to see headlines in news media about people/kids who run up huge overcharge bills on their internet connections due to not understanding how much data is being transferred, or that their connection was capped and so on.

Beginning a trend of streaming games to customers would be the deathknell of dedicated consoles. It wouldn't happen overnight, but as the web takes over more and more it would be an increasing trend as time goes by. At the end of a 6+ year lifespan of the PS4, it could very well mean we simply don't get games delivered on discs anymore, and a hypothetical PS5 would without a doubt never even have an optical drive at all, if we even get a physical box with a Playstation brand stamped on it... Could be we'd just pay for a PSN subscription and everything's streamed to our then-common smart TVs.

gaikai/onlive type of service is ok for BC, would be great if Sony could offer full gaikai/onlive client for PS4, picture quality and latency apart it can make PS4 sort of multiplatform machine with PC games (ported XBox games included) avaliable to play or try.

Looks like Onlive just filled for bankruptcy.
Rumors have it that they already been purchased by an still unknown third party.

A bit sad but not surprising, running the service must be expansive and cloud gaming is still not there.

Not surprising. I always had a feeling they werent pulling in much revenue. Especially with the very good deals they had.

Seems like MS would be a natural to pick them up, yet somehow I doubt they did.

I think MS would have it be better and less expensive in the long run if they just opted to start their own instead of purchasing any established game-streaming company.

I think MS would have it be better and less expensive in the long run if they just opted to start their own instead of purchasing any established game-streaming company.

must be what they're going for, i was more wondering about the patent situation than anything these days.

Back