[PC] Max Payne 3

Picked up MP3 for ~$5 over the Autumn Steam sale. I think it is a fantastic game. Very fun and very good graphics. Also the animation is top notch. Very natural and smooth.

My only complaint is regarding the enemy health. This game commits the ultimate shooter sin: bullet sponge enemies. The Uncharted games have the same problem.

The unarmored baddies are fine, but the ones with body armor are ridiculous. Even the basic guys with Kevlar vests can take 7 or 8 rifle rounds to the chest before going down for good. And don't get me started on the big guys with helmets. They can take 18-19 rifle rounds to the face before dying. This is on medium difficulty.

For reference, my dad and I went out to the farm about a month ago to shoot his new Ruger American 308. We stacked two 30lb 8x8" steel plates together and shot them from 200 yards, with low pressure target rounds. It went cleanly through both of them like a lightsaber through butter and just kept on going like they weren't even there...

BTW the American 308 is a fantastic rifle. Even has a free floating barrel. Walmart carries it for dirt cheap.

Anybody knows how to fix rockstars usual shitty programming and get vsync to work at 60fps instead of 30?

Mouse controls are utter shit as well. There is obvious lag in the menu's and in game it's not great either. Already played around with the settings but no luck.

Well, I guess expecting anything more out of rockstars pc games apart from you can "play" the game is really too much.

Well, I guess expecting anything more out of rockstars pc games apart from you can "play" the game is really too much.
You missed when their Social Club stopped working with roughly a zillion serial numbers, making it impossible to play the game. The lag time to get help from their support dept was about a month. :p

The game works well with adaptive vsync. If you have a green card I recommend enabling it.

No other game that I own that I can't run at steady 60fps locks at 30fps with vsync on. I just want the game to run at as many fps as possible but not over 60fps.

Is there a big difference between dx9 and dx11?

No other game that I own that I can't run at steady 60fps locks at 30fps with vsync on. I just want the game to run at as many fps as possible but not over 60fps.

Is there a big difference between dx9 and dx11?

In that case I use frame limiter from Afterburner with 62FPS or 66FPS limit as this gives me least tearing and great gaming experience with reasonable power usage (compared to unlimited FPS). Worked a treat for Crysis 3 and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon on my HD7970 CF.

Started MP3 today. This game is shit. There are so many things wrong with this game it's ridiculous.

Aim sucks, there is something off about it.
Crouching makes you move in slow motion.
Bullet time is useless as it lasts about 0.5 seconds.
Can't scan clues when crouching (lol wtf).
Cover is goddamn stupid. Especially if you are hit when you are about to day you end up lying on the ground and often and up dying anyway because you can't get back to cover.
Game is too damn hard and not in a good way. Too many overpowered enemies while you get some shitty guns, not enough bullet time and hardly any medpacks plus it takes like 2 or 3 hits to die. This is on medium. Usually I can finish most shooters on hard without any real difficulties. The game is just unfair.
50% of the game seems to be cut scenes. Wouldn't be that bad except that most of them have some fucked up LSD effect. You know these kind of movies where they tape your eyelids stuck and try to brainwash/torture you by watching some flashing tv? That's kinda how the cut scenes in this game are.
Story is crap. Tried to copy MP1/2 except that this seems to be written by the Rockstar intern in about 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon. A piss poor attempt at trying to be MP1/2 which wasn't every going to work anyway given that the whole set up of the game is very un max payne like to begin with.
The restar screen is bugged. Mouse dissapearing all the time and keyboard buttons not working.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I didn't get very far in the game, for some of the reasons you mentioned. I found it to be an annoying and uninteresting experience. I put a few hours in though.

Finished the game. Took me 12 hours.

The game gets quite a bit easier after the first couple of levels. You get better weapons and unlocking some grinds for xp helps a lot too.

Story is crap. It's not MP and it gets rather irritating as Max is whining all the time and full of self pity. One of the last sentences said in the game is even a copy from earlier in the game (and it's not even a very good one). Whoever wrote this needs to get his/her ass fired.

Graphics are great though and at dx10.1 I had everything on high on 1920x1200 on my 560ti at 60fps. Gameplay is OK but some stuff is rather stupid. Often you die because for that final shot you can take to get your health back you are often blocked. Can't reload either which is rather stupid.

Also the game has tons of bugs and it's ridiculous that you'll always need to sign in to that social club bullcrap before you can play. Should be some kind of offline mode.

All in all an OK game but definitely not Max Payne.

I can't help but endlessly think "hey it's the guy from Viper, now where is the transforming car and sweet gadgetry?!!!". It would be 10x the game then.

tongue_of_colicab: Story is crap. It's not MP and it gets rather irritating as Max is whining all the time and full of self pity. One of the last sentences said in the game is even a copy from earlier in the game (and it's not even a very good one). Whoever wrote this needs to get his/her ass fired.
Lol.. Agree!! still prefer the predecessors than this latest one. They are much darker and so thrilling in gameplay, storyline, voice acting, sound effects and many more.

Back