NPD February 2009

Exactly. Despite all the faults and failings of Sony, people still wanting PS3. Give them a chance to buy one and I'm sure they will.

Meh, all the PS3 needs is a price cut.

Exactly. Despite all the faults and failings of Sony, people still wanting PS3. Give them a chance to buy one and I'm sure they will.

Isn't there going to be a point, though, where enough people have already committed to one of the other two options that the number of people who want/need a PS3 is going to have to be affected?

At least in the US, the Playstation brand has absolutely been diminished. The hardware sales are only one aspect of this, though. I think the loss of so many third party exclusives that were so traditionally tied to the brand is going to have a long term effect beyond what can be quantified with sales numbers alone. It looks to me that Sony was confident that it's strong 1st/2nd party development was going to allow it to introduce new IPs that would negate or at least mitigate the effect of these losses, so they alowed those franchises to go multiplatform. The problem, though, is that those exclusive or de facto exclusive third-party IPs were developed and flourished while Sony held the most dominant platform. These new IPs haven't had that advantage and it's very questionable to me whether these IPs will be able to reach the level of popularity the established IPs have/had without this advantage, regardless of their quality.

the last round of 360 pricedrops killed PS3 sales, and if I'm correct the number of months the PS3 actually sold more than the 360 can be counted on one hand.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony starts focussing more on the Media Center aspect of the PS3 instead of games.

Weren´t it that the last round of 360 Pricedrops brought the 360 sales back to life? I don´t seem to recall that the PS3 stopped selling.

Media Center? i don´t get it :)

Besides the obvious point that the PS3 is expensive, how come that only USA can´t afford the PS3?

Weren´t it that the last round of 360 Pricedrops brought the 360 sales back to life? I don´t seem to recall that the PS3 stopped selling.
Indeed, they brought the sales levels back from dead (PS3 levels) to life (where they are now)

Media Center? i don´t get it :)
Home entertainment system, a cheap media box if you must.

Besides the obvious point that the PS3 is expensive, how come that only USA can´t afford the PS3?
The PS3 is expensive everywhere, maybe the $-Yen makes it a bit harder on the US?

Cheap Media Box, i don´t get it, not at all :)

I agree.

The X360 can do everything media wise that the PS3 can do with the exception of Blu Ray and surfing the web.

Surfing the web mostly sucks on the PS3 for me, but it is something that the X360 does not have.

Isn't there going to be a point, though, where enough people have already committed to one of the other two options that the number of people who want/need a PS3 is going to have to be affected?
The PlayStation has lost market share, absolutely. The total number of PS3s sold at the end of this gen will be less than if Sony had launched at $400 and price dropped to $250-300 by now or even less, without a doubt. I disagree though that the PS brand has been knocked for six, holds little value, and all Sony can do now is mop up a few sales up from the outskirts of the market, in contrast to people like neliz who talk as though Sony have killed the PS brand. PS3 doesn't need a complete makeover and slurry of varied titles to kickstart a second wind. A price drop is, IMHO, all that's needed to reinvigorate PS3 sales and over the next 5 years, it could do very well considering its beginnings.

;)

Blu ray is the third rail here :p... it all depends on your opinion of what success is this generation.

Reguardless of the opinion, it was a necessary NEW technological "upgrade" to:

1) Increase storage space and...

2) Make piracy harder than what it was for PS2 and PS1 days...(special mention to DC days as well)

3) Revise/upgrade the region code that made piracy on the PS2 so popular and many of the initially innocent gamers really just wanted to mod their PS2s so they could play the different region DVD games from Japan as it is well known how alot of games just cannot be localized due to licensing, cultural or fear of poor sales reasons.

I'll still stick with my opinion that the PS3 would have done far far better had it launched without BluRay and thus at a similar cost to the X360.

No one can say whether it still would have sold better or not due to it being hard to develope for relative to the X360. It's quite possible that lack of games might still have held it back.

However, I'd contend that at a similar price point and without the delays in launch needed to get enough of the blueray laser crystals (remember there was a shortage at the time) that it quite possibly could have launched closer to the X360 launch and at a similar price. Although being hard to develope for it's possible that the delays were inevitable regardless in order to actually have some games at launch.

Had that happened, it would have absolutely wiped the floor with X360 and todays HD console landscape would be completely different. The X360 is a good console, but so is the PS3. The only advantages that X360 has IMO is that it's quite a bit easier to develope for and has a lower price point.

So yes, it's only an OPINION. Not a fact. I'm not claiming it as a fact. But it is my opinion that BlueRay is the major failing of the PS3 not currently leading the X360.

The fact that by including BlueRay may have helped Sony win the HD player war against HD-DVD is irrelevant to that point.

Regards,
SB

I don't want you to change your opinion, its perfectly fine for you to have it and I respect it however you make it sound like the Sony engineer Brass (who were calling the shots on new tech decisions) like they were intentionally adding something that was not needed in favor of sticking with old, flawed technology.

These days it seems like Sony (by far more so that any other company) is just not able to please the opinion of internet gamers who feel that they somehow know better as to what technology should have been put in so as to sell bucket loads of consoles and please the "Sales Gods"

The "delays" of a couple of months from "Spring" to "Fall" in the same year only served to show that Sony was not going to rush their product out the door only to find out that there was a serious flaw that could render the console useless and have many consumers shipping back doorstops or just giving up and buying a new console in the hopes of having a newer revision that might not crap out.

The "easier to develop for" argument completely ignores that Microsoft is treating their game box as closed Windows/DirectX development platform as opposed to the traditional gaming consoles as such the "easier to develop for" marketing hype does not work too well once the traditional gaming console gets its software graphic library to a mature state on the level of the already shipped Killzone 2 and the already announced PS3 specific Phyre Engine Graphics Library dev tools.

To put it in perspective, after two years of Graphic Library development, Sega Saturn, PS1 and PS2 really matured from being hard to develop consoles to being able to render a prototype Shenmue, retail MGS and go from being harder than Saturn to develop for to challenge the Microsoft Direct X hype of checklist 3d features its competitor console was not "supposed" to render.

A similarly priced PS3 would have sold incredibly well in comparison rendering the easy to program nature of the X360 moot. Similar to PS2 versus Dreamcast. The PS3 would have sold enough consoles that it wouldn't really matter if the X360 was easier to program for...

I just love it how the SEGA Dreamcast keeps getting brought up as a reason to justify any argument via revisionist console history that usually tends to not remember alot of other details, like the history of SEGA's paranoid behavior as a console/arcade company.

1) Dreamcast cost money to make and SEGA was losing alot of money from its reckless spending starting with the Sega CD...

2) Console Gaming Consumers AND the Gaming Press chose to NOT have any faith in a "new" SEGA product, even if it was called Dreamcast and even if they were the most hardcore SEGA fanatics, it really was not out of apathy, bias or even marketing hype as so many love to believe and even as I used to believe.

3) Dreamcast had over a full year and a half and a low price point on a console that was losing alot of money, how were SEGA supposed to compete while lacking a DVD drive with a fourth console boasting higher numerical specs and plenty of marketing money from ultra rich Microsoft?

Were they supposed to offer a SEGA DVD? rollseyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.

The X360 can do everything media wise that the PS3 can do with the exception of Blu Ray and surfing the web.

Surfing the web mostly sucks on the PS3 for me, but it is something that the X360 does not have.

Can a 2.5 hdd be attached via usb to see films directly ?

The PlayStation has lost market share, absolutely. The total number of PS3s sold at the end of this gen will be less than if Sony had launched at $400 and price dropped to $250-300 by now or even less, without a doubt. I disagree though that the PS brand has been knocked for six, holds little value, and all Sony can do now is mop up a few sales up from the outskirts of the market, in contrast to people like neliz who talk as though Sony have killed the PS brand. PS3 doesn't need a complete makeover and slurry of varied titles to kickstart a second wind. A price drop is, IMHO, all that's needed to reinvigorate PS3 sales and over the next 5 years, it could do very well considering its beginnings.

I also wanted to add that those who keep insisting a lower price really have unrealistic expectations as to how much it takes to put together the different components, specially when they call for "feature parity" on the GPU front when real life would have called for Sony to have to wait a couple of years to realisticaly ship a console that is not going to be an electrical fire hazzard, by my calculations it would have had to have done so by shipping the console in 2008 or 2009 to have something like (PowerXCell@45nm+G92b@55nm-RSX 1GB of XDR+GDDR plus a 6X BR drive) and even so the console would still need 2 years to mature its graphic libraries and its games, would still be expensive and would still get the same complaints from the current day internet gamers while Nintendo is still selling 50 Million plus consoles in less than three years from non-vocal/hardcore consumers.

Hmmm,

don't know to be honest, but I don't see why not.

You can view pics and listen to music this way.
I'll see if I can find a smallish avi or mp4 and test it out with a USB stick when I get a chance.

I stream all of movies since I have my X360 and PS3 on my network.
Frankly, I don't see why I would watch a movie via USB other than when I travel.

I believe it is true for both systems. Also, aren't the files limited to 4GB?

I may buy an big cheap external hard drive for my movies and format it to FAT32 for when I travel.

Anyone know of any free formatting apps? The ones I know of are all limited to a fairly smallish size hard drive.

Curiously I had this bookmarked already.

Thanks for the link though. I need to buy a new portable HDD when I get a chance and test this one out.

Yes. I have done this so many times. While both the 360 and PS3 can do this...the limited number of video types (and not supporting external subtitle file) just make the whole experience not as rewarding as HTPC.

Yes. I have done this so many times. While both the 360 and PS3 can do this...the limited number of video types (and not supporting external subtitle file) just make the whole experience not as rewarding as HTPC.

I'd loved to see .mkv supported.

Indeed, and there will be a price cut this year. That may change the market significantly.

The Playstation brand still holds much more cachet than the Xbox, (which also suffers from association to MS).

These days consumer sales of the 360 are price driven (since all the core Xbox gamers, have long since bought their 360's), the PS3 is being bought for more aspirational reasons. It's not healthy for a console to be the bargain basement offering on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, and there will be a price cut this year. That may change the market significantly.

The Playstation brand still holds much more cachet than the Xbox, (which also suffers from association to MS).

These days consumer sales of the 360 are price driven (since all the core Xbox gamers, have long since bought their 360's), the PS3 is being bought for more aspirational reasons. It's not healthy for a console to be the bargain basement offering on the market.

It seems to me you are projecting your own mindset onto the market at large.

I have yet to interact with a 360 owner who "settled" for a 360, but really wanted a PS3 (this being my guess at what you mean by aspirational) any more than I have run into someone who really wanted a Mac but settled for a PC. I have met plenty, though, who were looking for a games system (some of whom who had owned both PS1 and PS2 previously) and bought a 360 because they either found that it fit their needs better or didn't think the PS3 was worth the extra price.

I don't think my anecdotal evidence is any more definitively accurate than your beliefs, BTW, when trying to understand the behavior of the entire market. I just want to point out that you are making a lot of assumptions about consumer thinking that are completely at odds with my personal experience.

or didn't think the PS3 was worth the extra price.

I don't think my anecdotal evidence is any more definitively accurate than your beliefs, BTW, when trying to understand the behavior of the entire market. I just want to point out that you are making a lot of assumptions about consumer thinking that are completely at odds with my personal experience.

That's what I mean, they would have bought a PS3 if it was cheaper, rather than a 360.

The fact remains that at this point in time, 360 sales are largely price-driven, as all the people who wanted to buy a 360, for the sake of it, have long since bought theirs.

Back