RANT!

K.I.L.E.R

Retarded moron
Veteran
Despite everything that has happened in the 3D industry I truly thank Ati (it's employees) for coming clean with all information.

I thank OpenGL Guy for telling us how quality AF IQ works (1 stage trilinear the rest bilinear) on the R3xx line of chips/cards.
I also thank Ati/OpenGL Guy for looking into giving us Ati users more options for AF in future drivers (it's a big maybe but I am looking forward to it) which in turn will give the user more power.

My plea is that Ati do not head the same way as nVIDIA. Cheating/lowering IQ and trying to hide the facts. I don't care what mediocre (at best) reviewers ([H], Anand, etc...) say about the AF on both cards.
IE: You can't notice the difference between trilinear filtering and bilinear with the R3xx+NV3x when in the past somehow it was a masive difference with the R200 vs NV20. :rolleyes:

I did severely criticise the R200 for it's AF IQ compared to the NV20's (using early drivers as the later ones do decrease IQ) but the R300 has rectified the AF IQ to a new level.

Now I severely criticise nVIDIA for their AF IQ.

This is no fanboy talking as I hate it when my options are limited and when drivers are doing things behind my back which I never specified.
If I have a beef with Ati doing something I don't like, I will sure as hell make it public but I will do so with understanding and without prejudice along with respect but I will be blunt on the issue/s.

I wouldn't mind if an Ati employee popped by and comforted us (me ;)).

K.I.L.E.R said:
Despite everything that has happened in the 3D industry I truly thank Ati (it's employees) for coming clean with all information.

I thank OpenGL Guy for telling us how quality AF IQ works (1 stage trilinear the rest bilinear) on the R3xx line of chips/cards.
I also thank Ati/OpenGL Guy for looking into giving us Ati users more options for AF in future drivers (it's a big maybe but I am looking forward to it) which in turn will give the user more power.

My plea is that Ati do not head the same way as nVIDIA. Cheating/lowering IQ and trying to hide the facts. I don't care what mediocre (at best) reviewers ([H], Anand, etc...) say about the AF on both cards.
IE: You can't notice the difference between trilinear filtering and bilinear with the R3xx+NV3x when in the past somehow it was a masive difference with the R200 vs NV20. :rolleyes:

I did severely criticise the R200 for it's AF IQ compared to the NV20's (using early drivers as the later ones do decrease IQ) but the R300 has rectified the AF IQ to a new level.

Now I severely criticise nVIDIA for their AF IQ.

This is no <bleep> talking as I hate it when my options are limited and when drivers are doing things behind my back which I never specified.
If I have a beef with Ati doing something I don't like, I will sure as hell make it public but I will do so with understanding and without prejudice along with respect but I will be blunt on the issue/s.

I wouldn't mind if an Ati employee popped by and comforted us (me ;)).
I undertand your points but think you're guiding your wishes at the wrong parties. Until ALL review sites up their internal standards and a genuine unified approach is taken IHVs will do anything they can to survive and grow!
Hitting the websites and their reviewers explaining we as consumers and reviewees of their site expect a fair and unbiased review is really the only option. Just imagine if as reviewees we had the legal power to hold the review sites to their word. That level of responsibilty would reduce the number of so called web sites to a misely number but you'd then get the facts. After all why should the likes of Kyle and Brent enjoy Nvidias hospitality at the expense of the consumers understanding and ultimate satisfaction? False advertising is an arkward bugger to deal with but whilst anyone can throw up a review site and basically say what they feel with or without regard to fact aren't we only fooling ourselves?
I actually have an idea that I'm considering sending off to a few sites for feedback but I'm a little hesitant for various reasons!

:)

Ya know what ATI should do? How about installing a new page in their driver called "Cheat Tab". They could, under this tab, employ the same "optimizations" that nVidia does! :oops: That way, when Kyle and Brent want to "compare" apples to apples, they can! But, for those that want to know what they are really getting, it will be there for all the world to see! :LOL:

While it would take away from the manhours used to work on the "real" drivers, it would give ATI the ability to compete on a level playing field while still maintaining the high ground!

The only thing I can think of that would comfort me is a free pint. They're usually available at ECTS... but you would have to find the right person to heckle and it ain't me :)

And since you're in Australia that probably doesn't help much either :D

Instead of cheat tab how about an Nvidia emulation tab? Of course lawsuits would fly but it would be funny to see them put in settings that would make ATI cards look like Nvidia cards running games then ATI users could really see the difference. Maybe also in an game toggle for back to back comparisons.

I do think as long as ATi lables it correctly this is something they would be able to get away with and it would allow apples to apples reviews.

It's true, I'm not an ATi employee...

...or on their payroll in any way, despite all the rumors to the contrary. :rolleyes:

I'll give ya a big hug though for the realization if'n it'll make you feel any better K.I.L.E.R. :)

"Welcome to the real world..." ;)

I really think it needs to be called a "cheat" tab...... and maybe theres a note on it that it works just like someone elses drivers..... ;)

K.I.L.E.R said:

And also I thank sireric, and Catalyst Maker, and the other guys at ATi who are approachable in various 3D-centered forums and who from time to time post and try and help people with various situations.

I really cannot say enough how impressed I am with this kind of behavior. IMO, this sort of thing really, really helps to distinguish ATi among 3D chip companies and generates tons of good will for the company. You'd think every 3D company would want to behave in such a manner, but...

I can't help but to see a marked contrast between this behavior of candor and openness contrasted with the "batten down the hatches and seal the portholes" behavior coming out of nVidia these days. I've often wondered if there's a policy within the company forbidding the kind of interaction these ATi employees engage in. I wonder if that's the problem at nVidia or whether its just the result of employees having little confidence in the internal information they're given about their products. Maybe it's a bit of both, but whatever the reason I think nVidia has been wholly outclassed in this regard. No contest.

ATi needs a "The Customer Is Always Clueless" checkbox that enables nV-like settings in an nV-like way: lowering IQ behind the customer's back b/c he won't notice. ;)

Or how about something a bit more "technical" like reviews/benchmark compatibility mode ? :p

I'd like to thank the ATI guys on these forums (here and Rage3D). That's the kind of company that I really like to deal with as a customer :cool: although I won't be buying more cards from you guys (I've already had a few Radeons) unless you have proper Linux support. ;) (please !!!)

K.I.L.E.R said:
If Ati keep going in their current direction then you can be sure I will buy their hardware.

I find it amazing that you haven't bought an ATI board yet. Especially after your first post. :LOL:

Back