CryENGINE 3

The smoke particles in PS3 version are glitchy, quite often you'll see them clipping through objects/walls. I say glitchy because I don't expect a 2011 AAA tittle to not use soft particles at all.

I believe that Nvidia method will only be available in the Dx11 version of Crysis 2. So PC only, I think. I'm assuming we're talking about that Nvidia algorithm as the PDF is no longer available.

Regards,
SB

FXAA is targeted at console compatibility, NVIDIA even made a XBOX360 version ... which is not to say it would actually run on ATI on the PC. Remember the Batman.

Is it possible on the ps3? I mean this new AA solution of NVIDIA...

I believe so as it runs on shaders in DX9 for GPU. Though it's a mather of perfomance costs and if devs find it acceptable. I assume it can vary in quality and perfomance looking at FXAA devs blog.

I believe that Nvidia method will only be available in the Dx11 version of Crysis 2. So PC only, I think. I'm assuming we're talking about that Nvidia algorithm as the PDF is no longer available.

Regards,
SB

It's present in "extreme" mode and DX9. The PDf document stated it was part of "extreme" setting which suggest edge AA method 3 and post MSAA 1 or 2.

- Objects files (CGFs, not CHRs) from Crysis (CE2) work without modification on PS3
- Textures and material files need to be converted to PS3 compatible formats (this is the part I can’t disclose)
- All assets need to be placed in Dos Zip 2.0 files and renamed to PAK files
- Huge textures PAK-Archives and most GameData-files from Crysis 1 crash the game, the only GameData-files you need from Crysis 1 are the material files
- Elements inside the map you are trying to load which are unique to Crysis 1 and use coding (AI, flowgraphs, cutscenes, prefabs, etc) crash the game on PS3, remove all of them in Sandbox 2 till you are only left with static objects (terrain, vegetation, roads, rivers, spawn points, forbidden areas etc)
- The PS3 game image needs to be modified to get a level onto PS3
- The PS3 game autoinstalls data on the PS3 harddrive, therefore you also need to modify this installed data
- To get a playable level for PS3, you need to export your level. “Export To Engine” needs to be done inside Sandbox, then copy the “Level.pak” into a) one of the levels inside the Level folder of the game image and b) into the same level inside the Level folder which can be found in the installation on the PS3 harddrive
- asset PAK files also need to be placed into the “gamecrysis2″ folders on both the game image and the installation on the PS3 hdd
- when you have done everything right, you just need to load the level you chose to exchange in Crysis 2 and it will work

Retail Crysis 2 on PC can’t play modded levels. At least not in my tests. Crysis 2 on PS3 is far less protected. PAK files are not encrypted and it loads any compatible map you give it. I don’t know why they chose to make the PC version more secure, maybe because of cheat protection.

:)

This actually put the rest the doubt that they limited openness of the scenery... The colors are bizarre and there are lots of popin, but running an unedited crysis level didn't seem to give much trouble to PS3...

That's a pretty dubious comparison and conclusion considering the rendering output is handicapped by bugged features. When you're not running any complex shaders you can do a lot of things.

This actually put the rest the doubt that they limited openness of the scenery... The colors are bizarre and there are lots of popin, but running an unedited crysis level didn't seem to give much trouble to PS3...

Shading is one of the most taxing parts of Crysis rendering. Most is missing in that video along with AI and mission assets. It's just a heavily crippled shell but interesting neverthless.

Didn't Crytek demonstrate CE3 running a level similar to that one running on console with AI and all the shaders etc.? It didn't run very smooth (but wasn't bad), and that was pretty early.

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqa4RkVpDvs

I think it starts around the 3:00 mark. Very impressive stuff in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back