CryENGINE 3

Dynamic and real time is worlds apart from a pre baked light and is a lot less "FAKE". I fully realize crytek isn't using unbiased rendering to attain the image.....

Dynamic and real time is worlds apart from a pre baked light and is a lot less "FAKE". I fully realize crytek isn't using unbiased rendering to attain the image.....

Baked/ realtime has nothing to do with fake/real .It's still faking,but in realtime.

Indeedy. The term 'fake' needs to be dropped in these cases. Use 'prebaked/precalculated' and 'dynamic/realtime' to differentiate between the types of fakery being used!

It's been already said that the model isn't "real". The rest of the screen is though.

I'm pretty sure these screens are supposedly from the 360/console build too. I mean the shots accompany many specific X360 or PS3 previews, even if theyre never explicitly stated as to platform. Plus, they look amazing, but not amazing enough to be pushing a high end PC to it's knees.

If so, definitely one of the best looking games on console. Hope we see footage at GDC.

BTW here is the direct feed screens leaked earlier, that Gamesradar posted and were later pulled. Something like 20 in all http://www.crysisnews.de/news-artikel,Brandaktuelle-Crysis-2-Screens-Update-Downloads,46595,1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW here is the direct feed screens leaked earlier, that Gamesradar posted and were later pulled. Something like 20 in all crysisnews.de/news-artikel,Brandaktuelle-Crysis-2-Screens-Update-Downloads,46595,1.html
Bad screens, abort, abort!

GamesRadar lamely took the liberty of altering the screens by adding lots of brightness and changing all sorts of other parameters as well that resulted in an ugly, "bloomed" and wrongly-colored look. Blargh!

Here's 17 UNALTERED screenshots: http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=851&Itemid=1

This is considerably better looking.

F*** GamesRadar, just what the hell were they thinking??

Also, remember Crysis was released in 2007. It's 2010 now, is it really that hard to believe it when you consider this is Crytek?

Yes. The geometry detail is more then an order of magnitude higher then what's possible on a console. Absolutely no jagged outlines and evidently better shading then any normal map can provide. It is the source model for the lowres version pasted into the scene somehow and that's it.

Yes. The geometry detail is more then an order of magnitude higher then what's possible on a console. Absolutely no jagged outlines and evidently better shading then any normal map can provide. It is the source model for the lowres version pasted into the scene somehow and that's it.

Yeah, probably. Though we don't really know if those are indeed console screenshots ;)

That model is a very high res hard surface polygon model. Think hundreds of thousands of triangles. Tesselation can't reproduce it and the lighting doesn't seem to be realtime anyway.

Using the highres version they bake the normal maps from is the easiest and most simple explanation for the image; thus it's also the most likely one.

Game is just way too heavy on the bloom, and in EVERY god damn image I've seen so far the sky is either partly or completely washed-out. Things just don't look that way in reality.

Also, these images have obviously been heavily processed to eliminate aliasing, probably rendered at gargantuan resolutions and then downsampled through a bicubic filter or somesuch.

Game is just way too heavy on the bloom, and in EVERY god damn image I've seen so far the sky is either partly or completely washed-out.
I take you have seen only the GamesRadar versions, which have been altered afterwards?

I don't visit Gamesradar...ever. The pics I saw most recently are these (claimed to be unmodified, but to my eye they look like all the others I've seen, so I guess they're one and the same): http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=851&Itemid=1

First pic has completely washed-out sky and bloom hazing out everything further away than 80 meters or so. Second pic, washed-out sky, bloomy haze. Third pic, crazy-ass bloom covering almost the entire screen. Fourth pic, washed-out sky again. Fifth pic, not too much bloom, but still (annoyingly) prominent in a couple spots. Sixth pic, again tons of irritating and overexaggerated bloom all over, and so on and on and on, pic after pic.

Back