CryENGINE 3

What grandmaster is saying, and I'd noticed it too, is that it seems some of the most complex scenes are shown only on the 360. The jungle ones with the waterfall on the PS3 are somewhat of a counterpoint, but the final scene with the explosions and stuff probably demands more processing power.
Explosions are at 2:26 and 2:29.

They've already mentioned that they're deferring the lighting - probably means the lighting only - and that's possible on both systems. GTA4 does it, for example.

The more HD the vids I see of this, the more impressive it is to me, culminating of course in Blim's version.

It's definitely pushing some console boundaries. In low def I was unimpressed with the forest areas for example, especially as thats what Crysis is known for. But in HD, they become some of the best graphics I've seen yet on consoles. The quality of the water (forest stream water) also probably sets a new console high er, water mark. Some parts are still weak, but even they look better in HD.

So yeah, I'm sold on crytek's console abilities now..now bring me the game footage at E3 :D
I whole heartedly concur and it's interesting to know, that they mixed in some of the very high elements from CE2 combined with new features from CE3 onto the consoles, is NOT a small feat. The only thing that's stopping them is the lackluster RAM on either consoles. But now I can't wait for my first CE3 based game.

What intrigues me is that the video is VERY 360 biased simply in terms of its shot selection. For example, all of the major shots exhibiting advanced physics and collision detection are running on 360. The final shot starts off with a PS3 shot showing not much at all, then cuts to the same scene on 360 with rain, lightning, the works.

In terms of the ground textures, 360 looks like trilinear, PS3 looks like bilinear. In the initial shot with the reflecting lightballs, the reflections seem to be a higher resolution and more colourful on the 360 shot.

Of course, there are certain aspects that appear to be technically superior on PS3, which several people have already documented, but just from the choice of shots alone, it seems that development on the 360 version of the engine is a bit further along than on PS3.

Excellent point, I also said it was likely that the 360 was the lead platform.

Would make sense too seeing as it has more available memory than the PS3.

The most glaring different between the two versions I saw in the video was the lack of distance volumetric fog on the PS3 version in the panning vista shot.

The 360 version also looks more blurred in that same shot because of the fullscreen motion blur (not object-based), while the PS3 version exhibits no motion blur whatsoever. Which is really curious, because there are shots for the PS3 version that clearly show fullscreen motion blur being implemented in that version as well. Perhaps the PS3 version's motion blur only triggers when panning at above a certain speed?

The most glaring different between the two versions I saw in the video was the lack of distance volumetric fog on the PS3 version in the panning vista shot.

We have yet to discover if that is actually fog or just a unfinished detail. I still think its the latter.

Excellent point, I also said it was likely that the 360 was the lead platform.

Would make sense too seeing as it has more available memory than the PS3.
That's hardly a justification based on what I've seen in the comparison. It maybe true on the basis of similar PC architecture with the 360, so it maybe easier to develop. But to simply lead a platform due to a slightly more ram usage and totally ignore other advantages of the other platform would not be the best move. I still recall a quote from Cevat Yerli that multithreading was more efficient on the Ps3 and its SPUs. And didn't Fran already mentioned both platforms were running the exact same contents before and only minor bugs here and there? The comparison vid was only to make things easier and faster to see for the media, which is what the impression I'm getting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The 360 version also looks more blurred in that same shot because of the fullscreen motion blur (not object-based), while the PS3 version exhibits no motion blur whatsoever. Which is really curious, because there are shots for the PS3 version that clearly show fullscreen motion blur being implemented in that version as well. Perhaps the PS3 version's motion blur only triggers when panning at above a certain speed?
Like others have suggested, the distant fog does not explain the close up blurring on the rocks and trees. Most likely a bug with the motion blur for either version. Would reserve final judgment after E3's new build, or even better a live game powered by it.

Like others have suggested, the distant fog does not explain the close up blurring on the rocks and trees. Most likely a bug with the motion blur for either version. Would reserve final judgment after E3's new build, or even better a live game powered by it.
I never said that the fog in the distance was responsible for the blur in the 360 panning vista shot. I said that it was very clearly the fullscreen motion-blur in effect as the camera is panning along. There's no bug here.

Remember that this is still a WIP, and the content shown is not necessarily indicative of the final results on any platform. The absence of a feature on one platform in one clip could be as simple a matter of fact that at the time of creating the vid, a bug messed the effect up on one machine so they pulled it for that shot, but will get it a back in the engine proper when they track the bug.

Horrible framerate, complete lack of effects...Crytec should of left CE on PC.

Perhaps the only decent thing that could come from this is a new PC patch that adds some of the tricks they use in the consoles and apply them to PC.

Ill stick with this...
Congratulations on contributing absolutely nothing of value to the technical discussion.

Fran,
The footage is really screaming for some AA. A while back you said you thought tiling on the 360 was a "solved" problem. Time to work some of your magic.:)

Fran,
The footage is really screaming for some AA. A while back you said you thought tiling on the 360 was a "solved" problem. Time to work some of your magic.:)

Perhaps for games with limited geometric complexity, not Crysis.

Or perhaps it was disabled for this tech demo. Possibly to keep parity with the PS3 version, which may not as yet have AA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back