CryENGINE 3

I'm still having a hard time believing all those 28 images from Gamersyde came from consoles. They were obviously rendered at different resolutions but look at pic 14, 22 and 23, aside from the resolution and AA, you're telling me consoles can render this level of graphics? Fran, sir?

See Nebula's post above where he discriminates the sources. This set of pics seems taken from the PDF Crytek released describing CE3, where they are more properly labeled. I'm pretty sure that when Fran said "consoles" he meant "those that aren't obviously old pictures from CE2 or mods, are from consoles". :smile:

(I still want to see the PC version, Fran, I won't give up! *cries*)

See Nebula's post above where he discriminates the sources. This set of pics seems taken from the PDF Crytek released describing CE3, where they are more properly labeled. I'm pretty sure that when Fran said "consoles" he meant "those that aren't obviously old pictures from CE2 or mods, are from consoles". :smile:

(I still want to see the PC version, Fran, I won't give up! *cries*)

Hehe, well I assumed he meant that. And I am sure we wil lget a glimpse of CE3. I particluarly want to see the new GI implementation and animation system. :D

http://www.gamersyde.com/pop_image.html?G=10245&N=11

Is this is the first implementation of parallax occlusion mapping on console hardware? I'm assuming it's a console screenshot, because of the lack of AA, and the 1280x720 size.

1:00 might aswell be but the color seemed so familiar... :eek:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/18589.html

Kameo made quite an extensive use of POM. Impressive title I must say.

As did Perfect Dark: Zero, both at launch back in 2005! Heck, some of the textures in Kameo in particular are still some of the best I've seen on consoles, to this day. Really incredible what Rare managed to pull off with that title given the time constraints they must have been under.

What, in Kameo? Was that really parallax occlusion mapping, or just plain vanilla parallax mapping?

POM from what I remember.

Other examples PDZ, KZ2, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Uncharted etc.

I've not played every game there is mind you but POM has been seen in the wild before on consoles.

It not like this takes anything away from CryEngine 3...

With Crytek's current implementation of POM, its impossible to use AF in conjunction with it. Is this a limitation of the engine or the actual technique itself? The effect it creates in Crysis is wonderful, but I hate having to give up AF for it, it would be wonderful if Cryengine 3 gota round this (on PCs at least).

With Crytek's current implementation of POM, its impossible to use AF in conjunction with it. Is this a limitation of the engine or the actual technique itself? The effect it creates in Crysis is wonderful, but I hate having to give up AF for it, it would be wonderful if Cryengine 3 gota round this (on PCs at least).

Agreed, thats one of, if not THE biggest flaw in of CE2 IMO.

Agreed, thats one of, if not THE biggest flaw in of CE2 IMO.

Lack of AF is one of the major reasons I gave up on the current consoles and decided to dedicate most of my time and money to the PC platform. It boggles my mind how developers can spend an eternity painstakingly creating beautifully intricate textures, only for them to turn to mush a few feet in front of the player because no resources were dedicated to decent filtering. I know that the harsher LODs required on consoles are a factor creating this ugly phenomenon but there's no doubt better AF would help an awful lot. I guess the artist painting the textures don't get to make the call though.

I force 8xAF in all my games and the difference it makes to overall IQ is tremendous given the very small hit on performance that comes with it. Hopefully its something that becomes a standard next generation, but I have my doubts as its something that can easily be pushed aside if there's performance issues. Given the prevalence of "bullshots" released its easy enough to fool the consumer into thinking its there anyway.

Is it just me (or the crappy videos floating around the intertubes) or are the shadows calculated only every other frame? I noticed this specifically in that scene when the player guns down a palm tree.

Is it just me (or the crappy videos floating around the intertubes) or are the shadows calculated only every other frame? I noticed this specifically in that scene when the player guns down a palm tree.

Yup, happens throughout if you're looking for it. ;) The palm tree happens to be the most glaring of the instances.

Lack of AF is one of the major reasons I gave up on the current consoles and decided to dedicate most of my time and money to the PC platform

I don't remember playing a console game without AF.Artitsts on our engine can enable whatever filtering the want on each every texture they use.From aniso to AA16x .Most will be 4x.That's not a big deal.Consoles have no real trouble handling that.Except the first year of the 360.

I don't remember playing a console game without AF.Artitsts on our engine can enable whatever filtering the want on each every texture they use.From aniso to AA16x .Most will be 4x.That's not a big deal.Consoles have no real trouble handling that.Except the first year of the 360.

Well, Halo 3 doesn't and I'm sure there are other AAA titles that don't (people always whine about it).

BTW doesn't having AA enabled give you some for of texture filtering?

Back