Gamespy's Xbox 360 Top 25 games

no list and I didn't want to make one so as not to take from the web clicks but, since it's been a few days...

:)

Braid would most certainly have made the top 10 had they included Arcade titles here. IMO

links take you to Gamespy's review

.. The 360 hasn't hit its peak by any means, but we want to recognize 25 of the best games to hit the platform to date.

Note that "best" doesn't mean "categorized by numerical score." By "best" we mean the games that we've personally sacrificed countless hours of sleep and numerous Saturday nights to, regardless of the scores some staffer or other might have assigned in their reviews. And in the case of certain franchises, we've picked the title that we believe to be the best in the series. Our Gamerscores are much larger thanks to these great games.

And for the sake of clarification, we've decided to exclude Xbox Live Arcade titles from the list. We recognize that many of you look at downloadable games as Xbox 360 titles just as much as any disc-based games, and we fought over this internally. But ultimately we decided to focus on great Xbox 360 games that you can pick up at the store, saving the DLC stuff for a possible future piece.
25. FIFA Soccer 08
24. Forza Motorsport 2
23. Earth Defense Force 2017

22. Burnout Paradise
21. Soulcalibur I
20. Dead Rising
19. Prince of Persia
18. Guitar Hero II
17. Street Fighter IV
16. Fable II
[font=&quot]15. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas[/font][font=&quot]
14. Halo 3
13. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
12. Fight Night Round 3
11. Dead Space

10. Left 4 Dead
9. Rock Band 2
8. The Orange Box
7. Gears of War 2
6. Crackdown

5. Grand Theft Auto IV
4. Mass Effect
3. BioShock
2. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

1. Fallout 3

[/font]

Last edited by a moderator:
It's funny how Crackdown was lampooned a lot before it's release (on Neogaf for example) as being trash that MS made you buy to get the Halo 3 Beta. And now it's turned into some sort of veritable classic.

It's a great game. Very barebones, lacking much variety in missions, but the fun's not in capturing the criminals, rather in abusing your super powers to explore the city.

I get it, it's GTA where you have superpowers and jump real high and blow stuff up. Of course several games are doing that now, but it was the first AFAIK (waits for ten people to inform no, it wasn't even close to the first! sigh).

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction came before, though no idea if it was the first. If we're talking about crazy superpowered combat, I still think it did it better than Crackdown. Agility and exploration was never such a big deal, because the Hulk could leap over most buildings from the very start, and could climb those he couldn't jump over entirely. It's why I'm really looking forward to Prototype.

Yeah, it's just a list of a few peoples' opinions, not some landmark piece of journalism. My top 25 would look completely different, as would any of yours.

Agreed. No reason to comment as their list isn't even remotely like mine. The digs from some a missing the point that this is an opinion piece and from a perspective of journalistic rating, pure sales data, user activity perspective, etc the list isn't anything more than opinion. What you like I don't like. And what a lot of Xbox gamers like I don't like, and vice versa. Comments like "looks like ps3 owners are not missing out that much" make me :LOL:

As for journalist, they do play a lot of games. But they also have biases and preferences. They also get desensatised a bit and trend toward more unique material of refined games.

Agreed. No reason to comment as their list isn't even remotely like mine. The digs from some a missing the point that this is an opinion piece and from a perspective of journalistic rating, pure sales data, user activity perspective, etc the list isn't anything more than opinion. What you like I don't like. And what a lot of Xbox gamers like I don't like, and vice versa. Comments like "looks like ps3 owners are not missing out that much" make me :LOL:

Sure, it's a question of opinion, but you're missing the point that the crappy list is a crappy list. Sure, I get that the purpose of the list is 'we here at gamespy put our squirrel brains together and chose the same damned game everyone in the world would choose, because we'll just embrace the fact that we have no more insight than your typical wordpress blog'. The only really questionable entry there is Earth Defense Force 2017. The rest is a list that you could have Metacritic build for you.

As for journalist, they do play a lot of games. But they also have biases and preferences. They also get desensatised a bit and trend toward more unique material of refined games.

Not really. They're not showing any more ability to discern than your typical fan. Sure, that just highlights what Tycho from PA usually brings up when review controversies emerge: that a game journalist really isn't more than a game fan with a writing gig. I mean, they put two plastic guitar games on the list.

As far as I can tell, the purpose of these lists is like the 'best x albums of the decade', which are also opinion pieces. To complete your experience of the platform. 'So you have a 360? These are the 25 games you should have if you want to say you know the system'.

yes guys all true... so let's see YOUR lists :)

I'm working on mine. I do like some of the games they rated here sine they brought up some less popular games and down rated others. it is not a metacritic list IMO as game scores are hardly indicative of placement here AFAICT

Ok here is my top 15

1. Mass Effect/Dead Space
perfect story with good enough gameplay vs perfect gameplay with good story... Too close to call.

3. Gears of War
The first one made a bigger impact on me and I truly loved it on solo and co-op. After a slight learning curve, the controls were tight and I liked the bad ass "if your bicep is less than 20 inches your nothing" macho bullshit attitude :)

4. Fifa 09
Basically the only game I have spent significant time online in addition to offline gaming. EA has really improved this series to a level where PES means nothing to me these days. Few years back that felt impossible. This game is pure greatness. Glory glory Man United!

5. Condemned
A surprise early hit in the life of X360. Well implemented brutal close range combat with very disturbing environments and scary athmosphere has still after these three years me calling for Mommy!!

6. Bioshock
Marvellous portray of a decayed underground world with stunning amount of minor clever details and relatively long, but still interesting story.

7. Ninja Gaiden 2
I still think that as far as pure action games go, you don't get more tighter and responsive controls anywhere else, that added with the brutal ninja action with varied environments and great boss fights and I'm set.

8. Crackdown
Hunting down the agility orbs and leaping from building to building while causing gigantic explosions is just as fun as it sounds :) Superb controls and upgrading your character made this game way more important than the Halo 3 beta for me.

9. Halo 3
I've only played single player and some co-op, so this might be higher if the multiplayer meant something to me. Still the battles and the controls to this day are imo the reference of all console shooters, it maybe hasn't evolved much from the first game, but luckily the starting bar was high enough.

10. Lost Odyssey
Top guality old school JRPG, which imo did a good job of portraying the concepts of immortality and longer lifespans with interesting and varied dream sequences. Soundtrack was great too!

11. Oblivion
I put over 100h on this, so I must have liked it and despite it's flaws I really did! Lots to do and some very interesting and weird side quests with a large gameworld.

12. Fallout 3
Interesting setting and lot's of sidequests and overall freedom of doing things in multiple ways is always nice. I wish I had put more than those 40h into this, as I'm sure there was still plenty to see. The battle system was a nice innovation.

13. C&C 3
I like the genre and I like playing these with a gamepad also. Very fun game that also offered some challenge and it's always nice to build a massive army and crush things. Everything in this game worked well imo.

14. Gears of War 2
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first one, mainly due to the onrail sections and the crappy quality of video sequences was a bit annoying too, but let's not kid ourselves. The game is still a great one with many improvements over its' predecessor.

15. Fable 2
I liked the first one and this was on overall better. I wasn't personally a huge fan of the one button combat system, but it worked adequately. The gameworld was a nice place to spend time in and I'm certainly happy I played this through.

Ok here is my top 15

7. Ninja Gaiden 2
I still think that as far as pure action games go, you don't get more tighter and responsive controls anywhere else, that added with the brutal ninja action with varied environments and great boss fights and I'm set.

I agree that Ninja Gaiden 2 should have been on that list (though probably too hardcore), it's not funny how far ahead of other action games it is in terms of gameplay and controls/responsiveness.

That reminds me, where the hell is Geometry Wars 1/2? Best bang for buck ratio of any game I ever bought.

Ok here is my top 15

Great list!

Top guality old school JRPG, which imo did a good job of portraying the concepts of immortality and longer lifespans with interesting and varied dream sequences. Soundtrack was great too!
qft.

They should make a sequel, like they do final fantasy: ie new story but same 'feel'

1. Crackdown
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Orange Box
  4. Gears of War 1
  5. Burnout Paradise
  6. Street Fighter 4
  7. Bioshock
  8. Call of Duty 2
  9. UT3
  10. Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
  11. Mass Effect
  12. Gears of War 2
  13. Grand Theft auto 4
  14. Battlefiled:BC
  15. Oblivion
  16. GRAW 1+2
  17. Army of Two

I have not played any of the JRPGs. I just started BK:N&B, so the jury is out.

The only list that matters: (mine)

Mass Effect
Fable 2
Halo 3
Forza 2
Gears 2
Rock Band 1
PGR 3
Crackdown
Gears
Rock Band 2
Call of Duty 4
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Ninja Gaiden 2
Bioshock
Street Fighter 4

Good lists guys!

mine is different form most as i much prefer MP over SP campaigns. :cool:

1. Crackdown
2. GTA IV
3. Bioshock
4. Halo 3 (multiplayer)
5. CoD 4 (multiplayer)
6. Battlefiled:BC (multiplayer)
7. Burnout Paradise
8. Fable 2
9. Fallout 3
10. Civ Rev
11. Midnight club LA
12. Far Cry 2
13. Lost Planet
14. CoD WaW (multiplayer)
15. CoD2 (Multiplyer)

forgot how much time I sank into CoD2 at release... what a ride! :)

If I were to make a list I'd have to make two, one for SP and one for MP. If I'm with friends Halo is loads of fun, but by myself I'd much rather slash through a well crafted SP RPG like The Witcher. Both fun but totally different experiences.

I would have thought NHL 09 would have cracked the list thanks to its cool Be a Pro mode (as well as the on-line version of that). I guess Hockey was not that much fun?

Ok here is my top 15

1. Mass Effect/Dead Space
perfect story with good enough gameplay vs perfect gameplay with good story... Too close to call.

3. Gears of War
The first one made a bigger impact on me and I truly loved it on solo and co-op. After a slight learning curve, the controls were tight and I liked the bad ass "if your bicep is less than 20 inches your nothing" macho bullshit attitude :)

4. Fifa 09
Basically the only game I have spent significant time online in addition to offline gaming. EA has really improved this series to a level where PES means nothing to me these days. Few years back that felt impossible. This game is pure greatness. Glory glory Man United!

5. Condemned
A surprise early hit in the life of X360. Well implemented brutal close range combat with very disturbing environments and scary athmosphere has still after these three years me calling for Mommy!!

6. Bioshock
Marvellous portray of a decayed underground world with stunning amount of minor clever details and relatively long, but still interesting story.

7. Ninja Gaiden 2

8. Crackdown
Hunting down the agility orbs and leaping from building to building while causing gigantic explosions is just as fun as it sounds :) Superb controls and upgrading your character made this game way more important than the Halo 3 beta for me.

9. Halo 3
I've only played single player and some co-op, so this might be higher if the multiplayer meant something to me. Still the battles and the controls to this day are imo the reference of all console shooters, it maybe hasn't evolved much from the first game, but luckily the starting bar was high enough.

10. Lost Odyssey

11. Oblivion
I put over 100h on this, so I must have liked it and despite it's flaws I really did! Lots to do and some very interesting and weird side quests with a large gameworld.

12. Fallout 3
Interesting setting and lot's of sidequests and overall freedom of doing things in multiple ways is always nice. I wish I had put more than those 40h into this, as I'm sure there was still plenty to see. The battle system was a nice innovation.

13. C&C 3
I like the genre and I like playing these with a gamepad also. Very fun game that also offered some challenge and it's always nice to build a massive army and crush things. Everything in this game worked well imo.

14. Gears of War 2
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first one, mainly due to the onrail sections and the crappy quality of video sequences was a bit annoying too, but let's not kid ourselves. The game is still a great one with many improvements over its' predecessor.

15. Fable 2
I liked the first one and this was on overall better. I wasn't personally a huge fan of the one button combat system, but it worked adequately. The gameworld was a nice place to spend time in and I'm certainly happy I played this through.

well done... with explanations as well!

thanks

Back