UT2K3 Filtering AMDMB.com tell it like it is

Well I just talked to my editor and he's going to update the article once he gets back from work later this evening. :)

Dave, you're right. The more sites that cover this issue the better. Thanks for your hard work.

- Jonathan.

Just out of curiosity, do you know if the issue is only there on the 5600s or is it there in 5800/5900 too?

kihon,

As stated in my conclusions, I was only able to confirm the existance of the problem on the FX5600. The only other FX card I have is the FX5200 which I did not test.

From what I've been hearing, Brent Justice from [H]ardOCP is trying to conduct the same experiment but there seems to be a little confusion. I'm going to talk to him later tonight once I find the spare time.

I've conducted this experiment three times and each time having the same result. I've taken screen captures using HyperSnapDX and with the in-game F9 capture key. Both give the same texturing results.

Here's another view of the same screen capture used in my article.

UT-4403-5600-0x0a.jpg

UT-4403-5600-0x8a.jpg

You can see that some of the textures are being sharpened, but the floor remains unchanged. I think this is something I could have made clearer in my article, so here it is. :)

- Jerky.

Try turing the mip map colour on and also change the LOD's of the Default and Detail textures - that way you can see if the floor is using detail textures and the rest default (or vise versa). I suspect the difference will be coming from the difference in filtering between the default and detail textures.

I'm not sure how much that will help since on the 43.45 drivers, using the exact same configuration, you can see the floors are being sharpened (0xAF, 8xAF).

I will try turning on the mip map colors on, but I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for. Can you explain to me the procedure?

- Jonathan.

Great work, Jerky. I mean that in a non-Jerky Boys way. :)

Well, ATi fans have now officially found nVidia's "Quack." In the interest of symmetry, it was found using Quake's and OGL's main competitor--perfect!

Size doesn't matter :)

-- Dave had decided that B3D is "rather too small a fry" to break the news with this UT2003 NV filtering trickery and that it would be more interesting to see how things pan out if some "bigger" website breaks this (with the way they break this news) -- the results as seen from [H] and the other websites regarding this has been, well, interesting... we know more about websites now, don't we?

Please Rev/Dave tell me I've read this wrong. SIZE does not matter (lol, the ladies can say otherwise ;) ) but every single review site needs to put these findings out irrespective of size. If you're big enough to put out a review then surely you're big enough to post subsequent findings that may have an impact on the users understandings? I dont want this to turn into a witch hunt but without a united response we'll see the occasional drib and drab piece of information creep out. Nvidia or any other IHV can hop from one review to the next avoiding the issues for months.

Please reconsider posting a simple findings page, after all if you feel credit should be given for bringing this to the peoples attention then surely you're a creditable enough and big enough site to post your findings as opposed to relying on the forums?

In short, as more and more smaller sites start to publish their findings the larger sites will then no doubt have no choice but to join the party and run a story?

Here's hoping, BTW, if you are short staffed then why not start a user pole or something? The more involved the better.

:)

Lets put that another way - I didn't want to "break" this as some kind of editorial; these aren't B3D's style. My intention was to raise awareness of the issue on the forums and hope that one of the other sites would point it out and discuss it. dependant on the drivers we use and what they do, we will discuss this in the upcoming 5900 Ultra preview.

I just read, on the most discussed forum [T] of this forum ;) that spahire is going to announce 2 products the 25.
Let's wait and see and hope the card will be soon in europe, if it's a R9900. :mrgreen:

there is not the CTF-Anubis map in my UT2003 retail version+2225 patch's "\maps" folder(i found a map named as BR-Anubis, but seems not the one that used in amdmb.com's test".

GF FX 5600 44.67 Quality AF-off
post-1-1059127453.jpg

GF FX 5600 44.67 Quality AF-8x
post-1-1059127487.jpg

post-1-1059128080.jpg

the map for test is : CTF-Face3.ut2

cho. Thanks for attempting the experiment... but the map name I published in my article is wrong. (Go figure I find these mistakes AFTER it's been put live). The proper map is called CTF-HallOfAnubis. It's a custom map and you can find it here.

Please try the test again and see if the floor tiles sharpen for you or not. I've done 30 more tests using 15 other maps and it's beginning to look like a bug in the driver.

- Jonathan.

Oh. BTW, my editor updated my article. It now gives props to this site for the work done here. 8)

Thanks everyone!

- Jonathan.

8X AF seems to be working fine on the 5900u with 44.03 drivers

first shot here with no af

second shot here with 8x af

haven't tried the 5600u yet, but gonna

Back