ATI RV740 review/preview

The 4770 is starting to show up on newegg again. Two brands in stock at this moment. Funny thing is, with the recent price drop of the 4850, the 4770 (at the same price as it was at launch) is now more expensive.

Some local distributors have it in stock, it's more expensive than HD4850, too, but despite it, the cards are always sold out in a few hours/days.

I think ATi made a mistake - they shouldn't reduce prices of their products so massively - majority of people don't care about price as much (e.g. they have certain amout of money and they buy that model, which is available for the price). There is also large group, which buys nV models (GF9/GTS250) despite they are significantly slower and more expensive (at least at local market).

The 4770 is starting to show up on newegg again. Two brands in stock at this moment. Funny thing is, with the recent price drop of the 4850, the 4770 (at the same price as it was at launch) is now more expensive.

If the 4850 = 4770, we could count it on market replacement, but now it seems like they're really, really wanting to avoid the nVentory issue err... nV had.

Oh well, since the October RV8 launch is rumored to cover the whole product range at once, the 770s really need to GTFO in these 3 months.

And for GF Bulk, I think the first natural fit would be ATI chipsets and lowend GPUs. 2 sectors where silicon performance is no pressing concern.

There is also large group, which buys nV models (GF9/GTS250) despite they are significantly slower and more expensive (at least at local market).

Heh, same here. They're happy with physx on their 9500 I heard. :p

If the 4770 was delayed as much as it appears it was. It may see a short lifespan similar to the R520 and R600. Assuming, of course, that similar to R520 and R600 its successor is on track to be on time.

Regards,
SB

AMD's keeping their cards pretty close to their chest. Considering we expect DX11 in retail by mid October we haven't heard much news if any coming out of Taiwan.

AMD's keeping their cards pretty close to their chest. Considering we expect DX11 in retail by mid October we haven't heard much news if any coming out of Taiwan.

Well we are still ~3.5 months away from launch, I would expect we start hearing more info in a month or so.
You are right though, definitely much quieter than the last couple of releases, after RV770.

Hopefuly am in the right thread....

This post is nicely showing up my poor translation skills, from chiphell:
http://bbs.chiphell.com/viewthread.p...extra=page%3D1
1. 某代7的单芯产品第一次投产X00K片,X大于 3
(A 7-generation single-core products X00K first card production, X > 3)

2. 某代7的双芯产品第一次投产Y00K片,Y大于1
(A 7-generation dual-core products Y00K first card production, Y >1)

3. 两种产品的PCB都在香港某厂洗,阻抗控制要求非常严格,让香港厂的品控骂娘,报废率提升XX 个百分点。 别以为香港某厂实力差,人家可制造超过40层的PCB,以及GPU用PCB。
(Two products PCB in progress in Hong Kong factory to wash, impedance control unusually strict, to permit Hong Kong factory to charge abuse mother(???), yield need to upgrade, XX individual percentage point. difficult to believe Hong Kong factory strength uneven, they can manufacture greater than 40 layer PCB as well as GPU to use PCB.)

4。 4. 风扇别指望太多,单芯用的不超过20USD,大幅接近黄老板用风扇水准
(Do not expect too many fans, single core cost no more than US$20, significantly closer to the nvidia standard fan)
At first i thought above was about Junipers and Cypresses, but the "7 generation" suggests may be the RV740 chip. Item 3) may still be about Evergreen parts.

ie 300k 4770 and 100k 4770x2 boards being produced. "Hong Kong factory" would almost certainly be PC Partner. They are apparently having trouble producing the boards, also something about single fans similar to nvidia design, not sure if US$20 figure is for the core price(ie RV740) or the fan price.

Greater than "40 layer" PCB sounds ridiculous so maybe something is wrong with my translation. Also the proportion of single to dual cards would be way too low should be something like at least 6:1 or 10:1 rather than 3:1.

Further down in the thread it is mentioned Cypress has a Pro version TDP at 110W and XT TDP at 130W...this sounds fairly low for performance part suspect clocks are to be set fairly conservatively.

At first i thought above was about Junipers and Cypresses, but the "7 generation" suggests may be the RV740 chip. Item 3) may still be about Evergreen parts.

ie 300k 4770 and 100k 4770x2 boards being produced.
Oops wrong thread...

The above i think now is wrong, cant find any support for a 4770x2 board....There is some talk of a 4750 part based on RV740 slightly downclocked and without a power adapter but no dual card i can find.

Above must related to Juniper and Cypress. The "7 generation" stuff i guess is something to do with the final retail name of the parts.

So approx 300k Juniper boards and 100k Cypress boards in production.

Sorry Robert, was really busy and computerless for a while (and forgot about B3D while at public library terminals :D )

The passage above refers to RV870 actually.

It's not the seventh generation, instead it's the "7"th in its family (relative positioning) as 670 is the "7"th.

But obviously orders now are mainly for Evergreen and 740, and 770 is not a dual core, so 870 is a given. ;)

So the RV870 is a dual-chip/dual-core board. The Hong Kong factory is having problems making boards with "very tight control" over impedance variation. Normally this factory has no problem making boards with 40 layers.

The obvious question mark now is that impedances need to be tightly controlled on high-speed interconnects. Variations in impedance basically mean more noise and signals that will "arrive" at more greatly varying times - both things that will hinder absolute speed. Since high-speed is routine for GDDR5, the implication is that a separate high-speed interconnect is suffering with this problem.

So, Cypress is a dual-chip board with a high-speed connection. What's not clear to me is whether the Hong Kong factory is making substrates to mount the chips on, or entire graphics card boards. The former would make more sense if we're trying to justify this as "MCM".

Of course this is all just jumping to conclusions.

Jawed

The passage above refers to RV870 actually.

It's not the seventh generation, instead it's the "7"th in its family (relative positioning) as 670 is the "7"th.

But obviously orders now are mainly for Evergreen and 740, and 770 is not a dual core, so 870 is a given. ;)

Welcome back Tchock!.....thanks again for correcting my translation.

Agree they wouldn't be making large quantities of RV770 and particularly RV770x2 boards at the moment.

So therefore '7' within the family is the 870 part and they are currently making single and dual core boards for it.

ie: 300k 870(Cypress) and 100k 870x2(Hemlock)

Seems like a lot of Hemlock, wouldn't want to overdose....;)

Sigh, didn't realise that the earlier text was referring to both boards as variants of Cypress, in effect

Jawed

nice! I am very curious as to what RV740's performance in Xfire if it has 1GB framebuffer per card. I remember it faltering from the higher echelon of resolution and AA due to it not having enough framebuffer. It's what thereviewer hypothesized anyway :)
I don't consider it nice I consider it too late with juniper around the corner :).

Back