[PS3] Killzone 2

I dunno ... The action is not good enough to make up for some of the annoyances yet. Right now, I'm going to say it's a pretty average single player.

I gave up on trying to acclimate to this game - and I really wanted to love it - but no matter how much I tried it just wasn't a match. I ended up trading it for RE5, and you're probably better off doing the same.

Ha, which level did you stop playing ?

EDIT:
What's with the invincible hands when the hellgast blind fire over barriers? Is it just me, or are their hands not hittable?

I remember seeing blood spurts when I hit them during blind fire. Don't know if I did any damage to their hands. Can't remember if I could flip the helmet of a blind firing Helghast too. That's usually one of the easiest things to hit when they are under cover.

Why do they mute the sound and turn the screen black when you're hurt? Why? They may as well just kill you right off. I can see distorting the vision, but why mute the sound? All it does is making dieing unexciting. You should always hear those guns roaring. On top of that, why are the corners of the screen always faded out?

Just some artistic effects I think. When the screen turns B&W, I usually back off to a corner and switch to knife just in case they charge me.

You mean the second floor balcony in the last fight ?

He was pretty useful to me on the first floor (first wave).
Indeed, he takes the left, you take the right, you are good as long as enemies are on the front.
On the balcony however, not only he doesn't really kill anyone, he keeps getting flanked ridiculously while behind cover. Doesn't even bother the shoot back. I would classify it as a bug.

Once we reached second floor, I would abandon him to look for another spot. If I stay near him, it's because I need him to warn me about a nearby enemy... in case one managed to flank me.

That level would have been much more easier (and realistic) if he had covered the attacks coming from the left side of the balcony.
Still, the palace level, particularly the assault on the palace before it, was truly great and one of the more memorable moments of any FPS. The assault part was especially the best of anything comparable, by a long shot.

Anyway, I'm planning to replay the game on Elite sometime but I'm done with MP, now that I got secondary badges for both Saboteur and Scout. Surprisingly they were way easier than I expected, but not very useful, which may me a testament to suitability of default secondary abilities as well as a neg on customization of the game.

Now that I think about it, MP could use a lot more customization besides secondary abilities.

Indeed, he takes the left, you take the right, you are good as long as enemies are on the front.
On the balcony however, not only he doesn't really kill anyone, he keeps getting flanked ridiculously while behind cover. Doesn't even bother the shoot back. I would classify it as a bug.
That level would have been much more easier (and realistic) if he had covered the attacks coming from the left side of the balcony.

I died about 8-10 times in the last fight. I remember Rico fired at 2 Helghasts on the left side of the balcony (facing
Radec
).

Once the balcony is cleared, I'd lure the enemies to one of the stairs to pick them off. At which point, Rico is mostly useless. He'd shoot at the guys on the first floor. I killed a few guys distracted by him by showering them with flamethrower. This is in Trooper. I supposed you'll need different plans for the higher difficulties.

Anyway, I'm planning to replay the game on Elite sometime but I'm done with MP, now that I got secondary badges for both Saboteur and Scout. Surprisingly they were way easier than I expected, but not very useful, which may me a testament to suitability of default secondary abilities as well as a neg on customization of the game.

Now that I think about it, MP could use a lot more customization besides secondary abilities.

Hmm... I'm way way behind my gaming schedule. :(

My idiot teammate cannot stay alive for more than 20 seconds in a gun fight because he lacks AI anywhere near the level of the enemy, which is basically to take cover and pop some shots out or throw grenades. He can't even do that. He's completely useless. He's so insanely annoying with his constant whining. And if you get too far away, he'll even whine over the intercom at you. What a dick. Maybe it's because I'm playing on the hard setting on my first play, but he shouldn't even be in the game. He does absolutely nothing, and adds absolutely nothing to the game.

I started playing it on hard (Veteran, I think) first, then decided to do a quick complete on the Standard difficulty. I think the standard difficulty is perfect for new commers to the game. It's challenging in parts, but not too fustrating and gives plenty of options on how to tackle enemies while getting to grips with the controls and pace of the game. What I did encounter though, is that your side-kick is very dependant on how you play the game. If you leave him alone and let him tackle the forces alone, he will die and become an annoyance. If you however help him out with fire and do a good job at clearing the path ahead, he has absolutely no problems staying alive, taking care of more than enough Helghasts and holding is position. He even becomes quite a helpful asset too.

On the more difficult setting, it's a bit more difficult to keep up, so naturally, if you don't take care of the Helghasts storming your path quick enough, he'll die quick. Why wouldn't he? You're usually hopelessly outnumbered by the enemy anyway, so staying alive and progressing with the mission should be challenging. The sidekick also isn't there to do the job for you. He's there to help and at that, I think they really pulled of the perfect mix of assisting, while not taking away too much of the action for yourself. Most of the time, playing it as a team (even though he's just AI) gives the best results.

Cheers Phil

Your sidekick is 100% shit. He's absolutely crap. He dies 20 times more than me. I started leaving him dead, and I actually started killing him intentionally because he sucks so much.

I don't want an AI dictating how I'm supposed to play. On hard settings like this, I play conservatively. I like the challenge of being killed quickly, so I can't run and gun. Sidekick is just a moron. Instead of sticking with me behind cover, he takes the stand in the open and absorb bullets approach. The only thing he does for me is absorb bullets, but he can't take enough to be very helpful.

So far, the game is not too hard. I picked the hardest setting I had unlocked to start, and I think the difficulty is reasonable. I don't die too much. Each level seems to build to a big final fight, and those are usually the only places I die, unless I do something dumb.

Havent you noticed that alot of the PS3 owners that post on this forum are very very very very touchy about their games?

Honestly, I think KZ2 is overrated (to be fair, I think all games are overrated, I have a hard time thinking of games that would score over an 8 by my personal ranking). The reason, as I see it, for this overreaction, is the double-standard. Certain overhyped games (exclusive and non) get perfect 10s from all reviewers, they get unanimous praise for altogether average campaigns. Both 2007 and 2008's insanely-hyped, perfectly-scored games were among the worst games I played in their respective years. People see other games' scores, compare it to their game, and then hear BS press 'we can't have no accountability' excuses involving 'reviewer slant' and they flip out. It's stupid, sure, but this is gaming, what isn't stupid?

We'd see a lot less madness if:
a) Sony learned how to properly overhype their franchises to the press.
b) The press stopped being such goddamned fanboy morons.

Neither is particularly likely.

Whats even more ridiculous, is that the same people who claim that these games are perfect and the controls are great (and that where rude\flamed people for bringing up their griefs with the controls) now suddenly all think the patch did wonders for the controls.

Other than Kittonwy, who was saying that KZ2 is perfect? And the people complaining about controls were trying to convince people to have a problem with them. When people said 'no, the controls are not the worst thing in gaming', they were generally accused of being newbie FPSers, and hence incapable of having a valid opinion on the subject.

If i didn't think MGS4 was the greatest game ever, i apparently am playing the game wrong. I have endless examples.

It's not that you didn't think MGS4 was the greatest game ever, you thought it was a really bad game. A lot of us vehemently disagree with that. Do you seriously think, Ostepop, that when you offer your opinion you do it in a calm and measured way? Your initial response to anything you don't like is 'this sucks you're just too stupid/noobish to understand that'. Can't you see how your attitude throws people off? Can you understand that when you yell at people for suggesting you play the game in a way that may maximize your enjoyment you're not exactly fostering measured discourse?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that you didn't think MGS4 was the greatest game ever, you thought it was a really bad game. A lot of us vehemently disagree with that. Do you seriously think, Ostepop, that when you offer your opinion you do it in a calm and measured way? Your initial response to anything you don't like is 'this sucks you're just too stupid/noobish to understand that'. Can't you see how your attitude throws people off? Can you understand that when you yell at people for suggesting you play the game in a way that may maximize your enjoyment you're not exactly fostering measured discourse?

I just wanted to emphasize that point. It seems to me that what causes these kinds of outbursts is the inability of certain people to post about games without exaggerating the point and debating in a cool-headed manner. For instance :

He can't even do that. He's completely useless. He's so insanely annoying with his constant whining. And if you get too far away, he'll even whine over the intercom at you. What a dick.

Expletives much? If you use expletives, you shouldn't then tell someone to 'take it easy'.

Take it easy. It's a decent game, but not amazing. I bought it just like every one else, and I don't see why I can't point out the things I don't like about it. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

It's not unreasonable, of course. Afterall, you enjoyed GTA4 and haven't really complained about my rampant negativity regarding that title. Though if you're not having fun, I would suggest you sell the game. Why waste your time doing something you're not really enjoying?

Though your talk of invisible walls popping in makes me think that you may have a dying console or something, though. I didn't run into that sort of problem at all. As to why drain out color and sound, I imagine it's supposed to simulate low-blood pressure/passing out. Not an expert on passing out, but the one time I did, it was very much like the game -- sound muted out and the lights dimmed. Yeah, you might find it annoying, but if you were asking why, that's why.

Well, the argument is entering the realm of review scores. All I can say is, I believe that for some this game really is a 10/10, but it certainly isn't for me. I've played a number of other flawed games (I agree that no games are perfect) that I enjoyed a lot more. I just think my complaints are valid

Other than Kittonwy, who was saying that KZ2 is perfect? And the people complaining about controls were trying to convince people to have a problem with them. When people said 'no, the controls are not the worse thing in gaming', they were generally accused of being newbie FPSers, and hence incapable of having a valid opinion on the subject.

That isn't fair. I don't think the controls are good at all. They work. You can play the game. But on my list of good fps controls, killzone2 is pretty low. For the pace of the game, it still works, but that doesn't mean they're good. Some people here seem to like it, and I'm not sure why. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's not because they're a "newb." They just have different inexplicable tastes ;)

Havent you noticed that alot of the PS3 owners that post on this forum are very very very very touchy about their games?

If you dont think [insert hyped PS3 exclusive] is absolutely perfect your going to get some ******* comment like that.

Whats even more ridiculous, is that the same people who claim that these games are perfect and the controls are great (and that where rude\flamed people for bringing up their griefs with the controls) now suddenly all think the patch did wonders for the controls.

If i didn't think MGS4 was the greatest game ever, i apparently am playing the game wrong. I have endless examples.

I dunno whats up, im to old to understand why some people are so touchy about their console and exclusive games. Do all of them work for Sony or something? Do they own seriously large amounts of Sony stock?

B3D has turned into some hybrid neoGaf with slightly more intelligence on average.

I don´t have a 360 or a Nintendo, and rarely venture in to those game threads, apparently many obvious fans of the other consoles owns a PS3 because of Blu-Ray (ohh the irony) and once in a while they will buy a game for that console and use alot of energy to bitch about it. Don´t be surprised that they aren´t well received:)

In any case, the post your responding to is a bad example, in a thread of people that enjoy the game he points out negative stuff that have been generally considered positive, but doesn´t bring anything new or objective to the discussion

I just wanted to emphasize that point. It seems to me that what causes these kinds of outbursts is the inability of certain people to post about games without exaggerating the point and debating in a cool-headed manner. For instance :

He can't even do that. He's completely useless. He's so insanely annoying with his constant whining. And if you get too far away, he'll even whine over the intercom at you. What a dick.

Expletives much? If you use expletives, you shouldn't then tell someone to 'take it easy'.

My expletives were directed at an AI in a video game. When I go home I'll apologize for hurting his feelings.

I fully stand by how intensely annoying that guy is. There really isn't any reason for him to be in the game, at all.

He helps me climb over walls sometimes. I forgot about that.

That isn't fair. I don't think the controls are good at all. They work. You can play the game. But on my list of good fps controls, killzone2 is pretty low. For the pace of the game, it still works, but that doesn't mean they're good. Some people here seem to like it, and I'm not sure why. It doesn't make any sense to me. It's not because they're a "newb." They just have different inexplicable tastes ;)

I'm not referring to you, actually, but to a couple of folks complaining about the controls before the patch was released. You don't like the game, but as far as I can see you're not trying to convince us that our opinions are wrong. Fine, you don't like KZ2.

As to review scores, review scores are essentially the cause of the madness. People don't really care about forum comments. They care when those comments are backed by 'expert opinion'. Calling KZ2 an 'average FPS' reflects what a few of the reviewers have given as a negative for the game. Which would be fine if other, equally 'average' games hadn't gotten a free pass. Again, someone save us from the fanboy morons.

It's not unreasonable, of course. Afterall, you enjoyed GTA4 and haven't really complained about my rampant negativity regarding that title. Though if you're not having fun, I would suggest you sell the game. Why waste your time doing something you're not really enjoying?

Though your talk of invisible walls popping in makes me think that you may have a dying console or something, though. I didn't run into that sort of problem at all. As to why drain out color and sound, I imagine it's supposed to simulate low-blood pressure/passing out. Not an expert on passing out, but the one time I did, it was very much like the game -- sound muted out and the lights dimmed. Yeah, you might find it annoying, but if you were asking why, that's why.

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm not enjoying KZ2. It's ok. I don't hate it. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. I'm hoping the later levels will be a lot more interesting, because that seems to be the general consensus.

I've encountered two types of invisible walls. The first are invisible boundaries near or around window ledges and other cover. Sometimes you'll see your bullet shells floating six inches off a ledge. Sometimes when it looks like you're aiming over a ledge to hit a target below you, you'll see bullet marks appear in the air. At another point when I first got the flamethrower, I smashed out a window and when I tried to fire through, I caught fire. I was standing pretty close and my gun should have been pretty much right through the window.

The other type of invisible wall is just a loading issue. I think the game engine is aggressively removing scenery behind you. Sometimes if you turn really fast, the stuff that was behind you won't pop in quick enough. I've had it a few times. Usually because I'll try to sprint like a coward to get into a better position, only to run into some big rooftop air conditioner that wasn't there a second ago. They almost fade in, instead of popping. I'm not sure if they did it that way so that it won't be so obvious like the objects that pop in playing GTA4.

My expletives were directed at an AI in a video game. When I go home I'll apologize for hurting his feelings.

I fully stand by how intensely annoying that guy is. There really isn't any reason for him to be in the game, at all.

He helps me climb over walls sometimes. I forgot about that.

When you go home, maybe you should use the same language in the same manner? Do you do that at work and expect respect in return? Maybe in your circle, in your life, but thats certainly not international. If you talk like a child, you should probably expect to be talked to like one.

That said, apologizing for yourself is the right step.

I'm not referring to you, actually, but to a couple of folks complaining about the controls before the patch was released.

I'm pretty sure I was one of those people ;)

You don't like the game, but as far as I can see you're not trying to convince us that our opinions are wrong. Fine, you don't like KZ2.

As to review scores, review scores are essentially the cause of the madness. People don't really care about forum comments. They care when those comments are backed by 'expert opinion'. Calling KZ2 an 'average FPS' reflects what a few of the reviewers have given as a negative for the game. Which would be fine if other, equally 'average' games hadn't gotten a free pass. Again, someone save us from the fanboy morons.

I guess. I mean, I fully recognize that some of the games I love have serious problems. To me, they succeed despite them. So I can understand that for some people KZ2 will be the greatest game ever. A ways back I worked in a video store and I had a customer swear to me that Battlefield Earth was a fantastic movie. Anything is possible.

Well, I wouldn't say that I'm not enjoying KZ2. It's ok. I don't hate it. I don't feel like I'm wasting my time. I'm hoping the later levels will be a lot more interesting, because that seems to be the general consensus.

It does get better, but again, you may disagree.

I've encountered two types of invisible walls. The first are invisible boundaries near or around window ledges and other cover. Sometimes you'll see your bullet shells floating six inches off a ledge. Sometimes when it looks like you're aiming over a ledge to hit a target below you, you'll see bullet marks appear in the air. At another point when I first got the flamethrower, I smashed out a window and when I tried to fire through, I caught fire. I was standing pretty close and my gun should have been pretty much right through the window.

The flamethrower has some problems (I think I killed myself firing through a railing), but I haven't really run into that. I don't know if you'd call it 'invisible walls'. 'Invisible walls' generally suggests the designers walling off content from you for no good reason. This just seems like a bug with map design. I haven't run into that, though, or maybe I just didn't notice it.

The other type of invisible wall is just a loading issue. I think the game engine is aggressively removing scenery behind you. Sometimes if you turn really fast, the stuff that was behind you won't pop in quick enough. I've had it a few times. Usually because I'll try to sprint like a coward to get into a better position, only to run into some big rooftop air conditioner that wasn't there a second ago. They almost fade in, instead of popping. I'm not sure if they did it that way so that it won't be so obvious like the objects that pop in playing GTA4.

I haven't seen that at all, and I'm pretty cowardly myself.

When you go home, maybe you should use the same language in the same manner? Do you do that at work and expect respect in return? Maybe in your circle, in your life, but thats certainly not international. If you talk like a child, you should probably expect to be talked to like one.

That said, apologizing for yourself is the right step.

Ha ha ha, what? I knew you and Sidekick were pretty tight, but I wasn't expecting the backlash. Next time you're hanging out, you can let him know that I feel bad about what I said.

I haven't seen that at all, and I'm pretty cowardly myself.

The first place I saw it was
on the rooftop where you destroy that weird AA cannon thingy
It was some massive AC looking unit thing. I ran into it as it faded in. I've only seen it once or twice since then. Unfortunately, it killed me two of those times.

Back