[PS3] Killzone 2

The controls are much different than any other shooter I have played. I believe they have tried to simulate the weight and recoil of a gun since something similar I have noticed in Killzone 1 as well. It is less arcady than Call of Duty. The recoil in other shoot em ups tend to move the gun upwards on a vertical line whereas in Killzone it moves it towards various directions. Also getting hit seem to affect the aiming a lot.

IRL, assuming you hold the firearm properly, they tend to recoil up and not so much in various directions

What difficulty level are you playing at ? :)

If it's Trooper, you can be more bold in your approach. I regreted rushing through the game because I seem to have missed quite a few things. Would have liked to play with destructible covers and the enemy AI more. I should have kicked up more dirt and rammed the HGH troops with the mecha too. :(

The most memorable thing for me is the Helghast fall back in big battles. When I finally managed to approach them, I could see the soldiers pull back realistically as if the tide of war has turned. But it's not all uniform. Some stayed to fight while some would back off (retreat and shoot at the same time). When I looked behind, I saw my own guys pouring through the gates/openings. For a brief moment, I felt like I am a war hero leading my people to victory. :cool:

KZ2 single player campaign remembers me a lot like a first-person GeoW2 with that cover system and heavy feeling. The Helghast uses cover extensively just like the Locust does.

KZ2 single player campaign remembers me a lot like a first-person GeoW2 with that cover system and heavy feeling. The Helghast uses cover extensively just like the Locust does.

It does indeed feel like this. The game is heavy on standing one's ground and taking out hordes of enemies.

It's an invasion. So it's about moving forward against hordes of enemies, or dug in enemies :)
[size=-2]That's where the infinite spawning comes in[/size]

I "hate" defending a spot. Moving quickly from point to point against enemy flow is it (in Trooper difficulty only).

Well, I've played online, and, guess what?

I hate the controls 8( - the movement is linear (or almost) - I prefer the movements/feel of controls from SP.
Playing with a lot of people is simply fun.

IRL, assuming you hold the firearm properly, they tend to recoil up and not so much in various directions

From my personal experience they tend to recoil upwards but not on a strictly vertical line when they are on human hands since human hands arent the most steady thing to hold them. Holding a gun steadily for prolonged periods while standing or moving is very hard.

Well, I've played online, and, guess what?

I hate the controls 8( - the movement is linear (or almost) - I prefer the movements/feel of controls from SP.
Playing with a lot of people is simply fun.

The controls in MP are much more accessible than the SP ones.
They are suited to the fast paced, competitive, multiplayer environment (and work well in it) while still retaining the distinct KZ2 feel.

I have no idea why anyone would want the SP controls instead.

From my personal experience they tend to recoil upwards but not on a strictly vertical line when they are on human hands since human hands arent the most steady thing to hold them. Holding a gun steadily for prolonged periods while standing or moving is very hard.

i'll agree with you there, i thought you meant various directions in a more chaotic sense

honestly, i don't pay much attention to recoil, i subconsciously adjust for it in every shooter

a bit OT, if you like realistic type shooters you should try sniper elite on the ps2, graphics arent great by todays standards but a great game nonetheless

now back to KZ2 AI, the bridge level, there are some helghast that just run single handedly in to the firefight, while in the shuttle, there were some that always tried to avoid my line of sight (i would sprint across and they take the other side of the cover)...IMO, its good in some areas not so good in others

control wise, it took about 2 levels for me to get used to it

also the weapon variety was not bad but the knife is a bit pointless since a good firearm butting will take the enemy out in the same number of hits (mostly 2) and you have the firearm at your ready

it's still a good game, just i was hoping for more red faction type of environmental destruction (or i may have imagined it to be much more than what they put in KZ2)

Last edited by a moderator:
after playing this game for a while, i am postive the FOV is not correct!

the game is not the correct 16:9 widescreen aspect ratio.

the developers messed up like the bioshock developers..

Seriously, this is a problem people... we need to start an outcry like with bioshock!

sooo...how do we go about informing guerrilla?

Finally started the game yesterday, decided I couldn't wait any longer for play.com (the usual, it's been two weeks today since they 'shipped' ... I think these orders just get stolen or something ) especially since my colleague also bought it on Monday and was going to start playing yesterday. So now I have someone I play through the game with, sort of, which is cool.

I must say that the game is very impressive, really overwhelming visually and even more so in the audio department. I played the first two missions, and I think I went through everything that was spoilt in online previews ... So look forward to the next session. ;)

The game is pretty amazing, it has to be said. The shooting really clicks with me - especially a bit more old style rifle, which gives really good one-kill headshots (at least on Trooper, which is what we are both playing on for our first playthrough). I've also enjoyed some of the physics already.

I do see what you mean about the aspect ratio - it is a bit narrow. Good enough for me, and I don't think it's really 4:3 but it could be something in between that is meant to cater for both display formats. But I am not sure - to me it felt more like that the camera was a bit too much zoomed in rather than that the dimensions didn't fit properly, but this can be hard to tell - it wasn't that clear in Bioshock either, initially.

My colleague also tried the online for a bit and was impressed with it, liked it a lot (he's played a lot of shooters, especially on PC). I think I might wait until I've finished the single player campaign.

Oh and small detail but when I had to update the game to 1.20 the first time I booted it up, I was very happy that it was only a 16mb download. ;)

EDIT:
Yeah, the core MP gameplay is additive and fun. Very close to RFOM kind of fun, which is super ^_^ However I can see the soldier classes introduce imbalance to the gameplay. Further tweaking is probably in order.

You mean the Heavy Armor Assault class thingy?

That class is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay overpowered, shame they only have rocket launchers and grenade launchers as weapons thought. (to cheap weapons for my taste). They can take a ton of damage, and the boost pills are insane. Very overpowered class. You can boost, run into enemy spawn, blow up 2-3 people in one shot, and run back, if you keep moving chances are fairly slim that somebody will hit you in the head, and unless they do, you will not die w boosting and heavy armor.

The controls in MP are much more accessible than the SP ones.
They are suited to the fast paced, competitive, multiplayer environment (and work well in it) while still retaining the distinct KZ2 feel.

I have no idea why anyone would want the SP controls instead.

Once you get used to one setup, it really does not matter. The new controlls after patch does require you to relearn aiming again (if you got used to the old scheme).

I have also noticed that with the change in controls, there is also a big change in how the game plays. With the crappy controls, people stayed together as a team, and worked their way slowly through the map. Now everybody is more sure about their aim so its all just run and gun now.

I like the new controls, much better than the old ones, even in SP.

I was playing Tharsis Refinery and to make things interesting I was shooting down the flying sentry bots with my pistol instead of using the electricity gun (cause it's ridiculously overpowered).

Knowing that the bots dodge continuously, and rarely stay still. It would be nigh impossible to do this with the old controls (especially seeing as I used the sights, rather than relying on the autoaim when firing from the hip) As with the cumbersome old controls, you had to constantly readjust your aim, and do so before the enemy moved. The new controls are much more fluid and natural and allow you to readjust your aim much quicker.

However I am quite disappointed by the fact that most of the lights in the game aren't dynamic. I was shooting those lightbulbs hung by a cord (that spin about when you shoot them) and they did not change the shadows or lighting cast around their immediate environment at all (seemed like the shadows were part of the wall texture)

Doesn't deferred rendering allow you to have large numbers of dynamic lights in scenes, or just static ones?

What you shot was some dynamic geometry. You didn't shoot the light source. The lighting is still dynamic. The lightsource simply isn't attached to that piece of geometry. The hanging light asset is just some pretty window dressing.

The game is capable of attaching a light source to that visual asset as can be seen as you enter the the section of the Saluman Bridge where you have to battle through some Helghast to cross beneath the bridge to find a way for the convoy to pass. As you enter the area there is dangling light asset in the area. Shoot that light and it tumbles all over the place because the actual light is attached to the logical light.

Also every Helghast and ISA soldier has a set of dynamic lights attached to them. In a lot of scenes it makes for quite a few active dynamic lights.

GG simply elected to not allow players to destroy or affect environment lights in the scene as the general case. There is a lot of effort placed into the lighting so they probably want people to see it as intended.

The game is capable of attaching a light source to that visual asset as can be seen as you enter the the section of the Saluman Bridge where you have to battle through some Helghast to cross beneath the bridge to find a way for the convoy to pass. As you enter the area there is dangling light asset in the area. Shoot that light and the tumbles all over the place because the actual light is attached to the logical light.

Also every Helghast and ISA soldier has a set of dynamic lights attached to them. In a lot of scenes it makes for quite a few active dynamic lights.

I noticed those lights in Salamun Bridge, hence the reason I was trying to shoot the other lights on strings.

Guerilla was talking of having 100+ lights in scenes, so am assuming these are just static lights, and the cost of dynamic lights are much higher.

BTW are the blue lights on the characters in GoW2 also dynamic?

And if the light source is static and can't be moved or shot out, why not just use 'shadow cheating' instead, and have the shadows/lighting imbued into the environment textures?

Once you get used to one setup, it really does not matter. The new controlls after patch does require you to relearn aiming again (if you got used to the old scheme).

I have also noticed that with the change in controls, there is also a big change in how the game plays. With the crappy controls, people stayed together as a team, and worked their way slowly through the map. Now everybody is more sure about their aim so its all just run and gun now.

I cannot agree more with you. If you are good at MP you cannot be at SP or vice-versa.

@Vanquish - It is just a matter of get used to. I'm confident in SP due to the demo (played the demo a lot of times) and I have no problems at all. But playing in MP is a pita (pain in....) at least for now.

I noticed those lights in Salamun Bridge, hence the reason I was trying to shoot the other lights on strings.

Guerilla was talking of having 100+ lights in scenes, so am assuming these are just static lights, and the cost of dynamic lights are much higher.

BTW are the blue lights on the characters in GoW2 also dynamic?

And if the light source is static and can't be moved or shot out, why not just use 'shadow cheating' instead, and have the shadows/lighting imbued into the environment textures?
I've seen a developer interview where one of the programmers quickly accessed there were 230 lights in that view he pulled up. Well, apparently, there were even more lights from a different angle...350 light sources!

I don't know whether ALL those light sources are dynamic or not, but I know it hasn't been done before. Until I see that in a few other games, I won't try to make that look like less of a feat.

EDIT: The blue lights on the characters in GeoW2 are not dynamic, according to the pics I've seen.

Are any of you making the distinction between shadow-casting lights and lights that affect dynamic objects :?:

Back