[PS3] Killzone 2

The enemy's incredibly generous with grenades at that point, and that's where grenade launchers are introduced, so in my case the sandbag cover didn't last long.

Grenade launcher ? I hated it. Don't know how to aim. Didn't bother to learn too :p

I fought using the pistol until I got really close to the machine gun hut, and switched to SMG/LMG. The developers will be mad at me if they find out I skimmed through their beloved game.

I'm probably gonna play through on Easy mode and look more for technical stuff.

I'm more impressed by the multiplayer levels. The train level, the mecha level and the Palace rush are probably my favorites. The desert is nice too, right after these 3.

Ah, I remember the scene now. Ha ha, I played it as if all the sandbags were indestructible (But I hid behind the trucks and metal covers). That's why I never saw destructible sandbags throughout the entire game.

Yup sand bags on the bridge - you can destroy them with the grenade launcher...they can do the same...there's quite a lot of destructible cover. Obviously - would you expect to destroy whole buildings with an assault rifle ;)

The official release notes for patch 1.20: http://kotaku.com/5166660/killzone-2-patched

* Stability issue regarding randomly named games has been resolved.
* Stability issue where rapidly tapping (X) causes a crash on spawn-select has been resolved.
* Stability issue regarding the Saboteur's disguise ability has been resolved.
* Stability issue regarding game creation with a blank name has been resolved.
* Stability issue with repeatedly entering/exiting game has been resolved.
* Ignore list functionality has been corrected.
* Unlocking of the "Front Runner" Medal has been fixed.
* Incorrectly awarding victory to clans who don't show has been fixed.
* Battle Replay for Corinth Crossing not appearing correctly on Killzone.com has been fixed.
* Issue with not being able to defuse the Search and Destroy objective has been resolved.
* HUD issue when playing as a Medic during Assassination mode has been corrected.
* Controller input has been slightly tweaked and modified.
* Exploit of shotgun auto-lock on has been fixed.
* Issue with D-charges in Campaign mode has been fixed.

Not really. No one confirmed the changes officially. There was a work-in-progress list from a GG employee though.

Ok, I'm trying to play with my brother and there is no way to stay on the same team unless you play on servers without auto-balancing. That's pretty crap.

Edit: There are some pretty good maps, and I really like the way the game mode switches without interrupting play. Some of the maps can seem too big for even 32 players, but overall the multiplayer is growing on me. I just unlocked the shotgun, smg, but haven't tried them online yet. The lack of friend functions really sucks though ... like REALLY sucks. Can you invite someone to a game? I haven't been able to figure that out. I know you can join a friend (even though not necessarily on the same team), but I didn't see how to invite one.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's doesn't have the most polished matchmaking but the sheer fun of this game makes up for it! I like Killzone online way more than I thought I would.

Great to see a company patch a game so quickly also, twice now. The tweaked controls are significantly better!

Ok, I'm trying to play with my brother and there is no way to stay on the same team unless you play on servers without auto-balancing. That's pretty crap.

Edit: There are some pretty good maps, and I really like the way the game mode switches without interrupting play. Some of the maps can seem too big for even 32 players, but overall the multiplayer is growing on me. I just unlocked the shotgun, smg, but haven't tried them online yet. The lack of friend functions really sucks though ... like REALLY sucks.

I think they want people to join a clan instead.

Can you invite someone to a game? I haven't been able to figure that out.

Not that I know of. The game may be full by the time the friend arrives.

I know you can join a friend (even though not necessarily on the same team), but I didn't see how to invite one.

Send a XMB message.

I posted a short note on killzone.com asking for the status of party management in KZ2 this afternoon.

If they want to fix this in the mean time, they can just allow the host to remove the game password once all his friends has signed in. This should not require any external party management system like Home.

EDIT:
It's doesn't have the most polished matchmaking but the sheer fun of this game makes up for it! I like Killzone online way more than I thought I would.

Great to see a company patch a game so quickly also, twice now. The tweaked controls are significantly better!

Yeah, the core MP gameplay is additive and fun. Very close to RFOM kind of fun, which is super ^_^ However I can see the soldier classes introduce imbalance to the gameplay. Further tweaking is probably in order.

I think they want people to join a clan instead.

I made a clan .... Blink183. It consists of me and my brother, and it doesn't seem to make it easier for us to play together without doing clan events, which is not something we're interested in. I'm not big on playing on a schedule.

Send a XMB message.

I posted a short note on killzone.com asking for the status of party management in KZ2 this afternoon.

If they want to fix this in the mean time, they can just allow the host to remove the game password once all his friends has signed in. This should not require any external party management system like Home.

I better not be forced into using home to get the matchmaking features I want. I'm an extreme minimalist when it comes to interfaces.

Yeah, the core MP gameplay is additive and fun. Very close to RFOM kind of fun, which is super ^_^ However I can see the soldier classes introduce imbalance to the gameplay. Further tweaking is probably in order.

Is that the class that can soak up a ton of damage and run super fast?

I made a clan .... Blink183. It consists of me and my brother, and it doesn't seem to make it easier for us to play together without doing clan events, which is not something we're interested in. I'm not big on playing on a schedule.

I better not be forced into using home to get the matchmaking features I want. I'm an extreme minimalist when it comes to interfaces.

It's more or less confirmed: http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-290674.aspx :devilish:
I have no clue whether there'd be a 2D interface in the future. Ngai Croal claimed that one exists.

At the moment Guerrilla Games is hard at work with additional content for Killzone 2. There not just working on patches and the upcoming DLC, but also on full Home integration.

They are going to add everything that Home supports. This includes at least a KZ2 Home Space and gamelaunching. The rest of the information is still classified, but there is some more information in the news item on the site.

Someday when I get to join your party, we'd be able to take a group photo :p

Is that the class that can soak up a ton of damage and run super fast?

That's the Assault class after boosting ? May be but I have not played it yet. Can't tell for sure.

People also complained about weak drones, but that may depend on where the players place their bots.

betan's post above has more hands on details.

EDIT:

Whoops, I missed that.

I got it yesterday too

I love it!

I still havent tried the online mode but the graphics were incredible after the first level. I wasnt expecting it to look that good after I played the demo.

This is certainly not on the level of the CGI video as some tend to claim. There is a long way until a game reaches such level of immersion.

Yet the visuals are outstanding.

The controls are much different than any other shooter I have played. I believe they have tried to simulate the weight and recoil of a gun since something similar I have noticed in Killzone 1 as well. It is less arcady than Call of Duty. The recoil in other shoot em ups tend to move the gun upwards on a vertical line whereas in Killzone it moves it towards various directions. Also getting hit seem to affect the aiming a lot.

The AI is probably one the best I ve ever played against too

I got it yesterday too

I love it!

I still havent tried the online mode but the graphics were incredible after the first level. I wasnt expecting it to look that good after I played the demo.

This is certainly not on the level of the CGI video as some tend to claim. There is a long way until a game reaches such level of immersion.

Yet the visuals are outstanding.

The controls are much different than any other shooter I have played. I believe they have tried to simulate the weight and recoil of a gun since something similar I have noticed in Killzone 1 as well. It is less arcady than Call of Duty. The recoil in other shoot em ups tend to move the gun upwards on a vertical line whereas in Killzone it moves it towards various directions. Also getting hit seem to affect the aiming a lot.

The AI is probably one the best I ve ever played against too

"CGI' quality is relative. KZ2 certainly looks better than a lot of CG video from last generation, and that is enough for me, visually.

Received it today! 8) Finally!

It's a very good and consistent game (I've played only 1 hour) - visually impressive for a console game, fluid where it needs to be (forgetting the loading) and an oustanding sound.
I have no problems with controls - demo and final version seemed the same.
AI very good - playing on veteran - the best from any fps game.

Later I'll try the online. Hope to "kill" some of you guys 8) - You already have 2 weeks in advance 8(

Back