[PS3] Killzone 2

Well, I'm an experienced console FPS player, and I can't get the controls to do (easily) what I wan't them to do most of the time either. Close combat is hilarious in this game, you often go to melee and enemy and aren't sure whether you've hit them and they're dead or if you've missed them (or they need another hit to kill) and their out of your FOV.

I'm not sure how it differs from any other FPS, if a guy slips past your FOV during melee then you have to listen for an audio cue or look for him.

The fact that an early tactic in MP, is to sprint next to someone who is shooting at you, so they have a harder time killing you, highlights the issues with the controls.

It's a fact, yet you have not played MP? Yes, running out of my view does make it hard to hit someone, running towards me does not.

I would say that about 50% of the game's difficulty stems from the controls, it would be significantly easier had it controlled like any other console FPS, eg. I could shoot the Helghast heads behind cover easily, rather than having to constantly readjust my aim to get their heads in my sights, only to have them stand up or move somewhere else.

Welcome to page 14, everyone was telling me that a change to the controls would not mess with the difficulty or balance in the campaign. So we agree.

I'm not sure what all this melee talk has to do with Shifty's ability to hit a distant target though.

I'm not sure how it differs from any other FPS, if a guy slips past your FOV during melee then you have to listen for an audio cue or look for him.

It's a fact, yet you have not played MP? Yes, running out of my view does make it hard to hit someone, running towards me does not.

Welcome to page 14, everyone was telling me that a change to the controls would not mess with the difficulty or balance in the campaign. So we agree.

I'm not sure what all this melee talk has to do with Shifty's ability to hit a distant target though.

Exactly, It means I'm not making it up, I think patsu or someone else was saying it was happening online, check back in the thread. You run close to them so they have a harder time tracking you, and may 'lose' you.

Obviously having good controls will make the campaign easier. I dislike games which impose obvious artificial limitations or constructs, for the sake of stretching out gameplay.

And it's hard to hit a distant target because you have to readjust your aim to get your reticule on the enemy, before they move again.

Is this the new patch?

Patch 1.20 was released today, allegedly with some tweaks to the controls.

Are there any actual changes to the controls, GG sounded pretty firm on their position (saying any improvements would alienate the people who've gotten used to the current controls).

Yes, but "control feel" is not discrete. They may be able to tweak it a little without affecting existing users too much. Some Gaffers highlighted that the controls feel a little different but they can't pinpoint what.

Obviously having good controls will make the campaign easier. I dislike games which impose obvious artificial limitations or constructs, for the sake of stretching out gameplay.

In this case, GG tweaked the controls. Whatever's left should be the game's experience.

If they want to stretch out gameplay, there're other ways to do so without using a different control scheme.

Im infinitely better now with the controls after going through the SP in nine hours. My second playthrough has been more enjoyable then the first because of the lack of frustration.

If controls were more second nature the first time through the experience would have been better then either of the two. I would have played KZ2 without the initially frustration and through virgin eyes.

At most, trooper would have been too easy and forced me to start my initial playthrough on veteran. The only thing that influenced me to start out with trooper is the fact the my demo experience convinced me that those frustrating controls combined with too high of a level of difficulty would of been an experience killer.

Exactly, It means I'm not making it up, I think patsu or someone else was saying it was happening online, check back in the thread. You run close to them so they have a harder time tracking you, and may 'lose' you.

And it's hard to hit a distant target because you have to readjust your aim to get your reticule on the enemy, before they move again.

Was anyone saying you were making it up? I know my objections was to your saying that we're all noobs because we don't agree with you that the controls were terrible.

Was anyone saying you were making it up?

I meant the MP tactic (of sprinting next to someone), not the controls.
I know my objections was to your saying that we're all noobs because we don't agree with you that the controls were terrible.

Funnily enough, someone was doing the opposite and saying Shifty was finding the controls hard because he was an FPS noob. ;)

It is okay to dislike a game. Not sure why you must be a noob to not like a game.

In the same vein, the game is not necessarily wrong if it has a different control scheme from your favorite ones or the popular ones. It may alienate many users but that's the developers' problem.

[size=-2]Weekend's finally here. I can play KZ2 again.[/size]

It was BacKSpacE's tactic. Would be interesting to see how other users counter it once they gain enough experiences.

EDIT: I just found out patch 1.20 is not available in US yet.

What actually happens at the end? I'm just collecting trophies now.
I really can't be bothered with another lame boss battle to finish an FPS. The end of Gears of War was enough of a disappointment. Bullet sponge bosses and endless waves of grunts. meh it's so 80's!

What actually happens at the end? I'm just collecting trophies now.
I really can't be bothered with another lame boss battle to finish an FPS. The end of Gears of War was enough of a disappointment. Bullet sponge bosses and endless waves of grunts. meh it's so 80's!

You get inside the palace, fight waves of enemies, kill Radec. Or rather, disable him, he shoots himself.
You step inside, meet Visari, he gets indignant that Sev, a mere Sergeant is bringing him in. Then goes on a whole tirade about how the whole campaign was pointless, about how the ISA needs him to run Helghan, otherwise the war will never end. Rico gets pissed off and shoots Visari... Sev's unhappy, walks outside only to see the the last Helghan fleet flying overhead, and ISA troopers go on about how screwed they are.

Is it just me, or does Killzone 2 feel like it has a very narrow FOV? I know console FPS' typically have pretty narrow FOV's, but it has never seemed as bad like it does in Killzone 2.

Yeah, it does have a pretty narrow FOV. Not bad enough to make me sick when playing, but still pretty narrow. Reminds me a lot of Halo 3 in that respect. I wish they gave FOV options in console games since it can't be modified as easily as on the PC.

Wow, the new patch really made a difference!! :D The input lag and huge deadzone are finally gone. Now the game is really enjoyable now. Thanks, Guerrilla!!!

I played a bot match and it felt pretty good, it's noticeable (I played a bot match earlier before the patch). The bots are great for learning the maps, they are quite good too, they use all the tricks.

Feels great after teh patch.
Indifferent2.gif

I played a bot match and it felt pretty good, it's noticeable (I played a bot match earlier before the patch). The bots are great for learning the maps, they are quite good too, they use all the tricks.

But you can't change the match options, which sucks.
Why don't they allow you to do this like other shooters with bots?

A question about assassination. I've never been picked as a target, so I don't know. Is there any reason why assassination targets feel compelled to run into combat? I'm not being sarcastic here, is there some rule that they can't stay still for too long, or have to get somewhere?

A question about assassination. I've never been picked as a target, so I don't know. Is there any reason why assassination targets feel compelled to run into combat? I'm not being sarcastic here, is there some rule that they can't stay still for too long, or have to get somewhere?

I think they just have to stay in the green area (on the mini-map), but I don't know for sure as I haven't been the VIP either.

That's probably because of inexperience, or simply bad players. As the assassination target you do need to stay within the green part of the maps. But those cover nearly all of the map except for your own and your enemies base. So the best thing to do is to move to a place that's easily defendable, and meet up with the rest of your team. If your the assassination target or he's on your team, you'll get to know who it is 30 sec. before the enemy does. That should give enough time to get in position.

Also, when you have to assassinate the enemy target, make sure you kill him completely. As long as he can still be revived by a medic, it won't count as a kill.

Back