[PS3] Killzone 2

The infinite respawns in that section of the 6th level really pissed me off.
I also wish that the whole section was longer...should have been an entire level rather than a subsection of a level.

Yeah, it took me a lot of attempts to get past it.
Rico tells you to blow something up, but you won't carrying the correct weapon. So instead I try to throw a grenade, which obviously doesn't work. So I run back to the turret to have a better chance a killing all those helghasts. And when I get back they've respawned. Turns out you have to do the opposite of what you would expect you'd have to do. Run straight towards all those helghasts to find the rocketlauncher, and blow up the tank before you get over run.

Game design like that really breaks the immersion for me. You hear all this talk of realism in games, and how they improved on it yet again. And then they make you do something like this, which makes the absolutely no sense in the real world.

Final battle.
That switching weapons really becomes a pian here. You need to use 3 different weapons which are all standing in the same place. So you need to position yourself carefully to pick up the right one. All while being fired upon, and possibly some smoke blocking your view.

I finished the first two levels on veteran, took me just under an hour for each. Died about 10-12 times, but I was using the pistol mostly as it has infinite ammo (and I like 'saving' my main gun for special encounters, though ironically I often end up never using it at all, I've been playing like this ever since Half Life incidentally)

I find it fun and effective to rush any remaining Helghast in an area and shoot them once with the pistol before hitting them, I can take out two Helghast standing next to each other with this method (even on Veteran), it also works great for the SMG wielding enemies who like to rush you.

One thing I didn't like was the heavy machine gun wielding enemy, that you had to shoot in the face to make him turn around so you could shoot the gas tanks on his back. Seemed rather contrived, couldn't you just flank him and shoot him in the back? or shoot the tank over his shoulder? It also takes a LOT of hits to the tank to take it down, I had to go through the shoot him in the face rigmarole like 8 times before killing him. I hope they're arent a whole squad of those in later levels.

Great to see you guys enjoying it :D ! Mkes me wanna go and play that campaign again, .......er...........actually I jhave still not finished the last boss battle. The MP servers were switched on and I got hooked ;) !
I definitely need to kill that sucka soon !

And as for story, i would like to know how people feel about it
I think they went too brutal when they killed-off Garza :devilish: ! That was the only guy I liked in my squad and wanted him by my side in Killzone 3 too . Also, killing -off Templar was off to for me. I have played Killzone 1 and Templar was the hero of two games (1 and liberation) ! You just don't kill him. I mean, I was Templar for two whole games and you just killed me there .I understand the fight is more personal now, and I want to see to its end now, but I wanted some people to share that journey with me till the end :(

@russo121: The music in the whole game is amazing ! Loved it :cool: ! That seems to be a fan made trailer. THe music doesn't seem to be from the game ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Got as far as the square. This is a top game! Right up there with MGS4 for the experience, but way ahead with the graphics. Its as intense as COD4 but just feels more meaty. The soundtrack is pretty outstanding too though the voice acting is as dire as in Killzone 1, which is good in its own way!

And as for story, i would like to know how people feel about it
I think they went too brutal when they killed-off Garza :devilish: ! That was the only guy I liked in my squad and wanted him by my side in Killzone 3 too . Also, killing -off Templar was off to for me. I have played Killzone 1 and Templar was the hero of two games (1 and liberation) ! You just don't kill him. I mean, I was Templar for two whole games and you just killed me there .I understand the fight is more personal now, and I want to see to its end now, but I wanted some people to share that journey with me till the end :(

I can't believe they put Rico in charge of anything, that was a disaster waiting to happen. I liked Garza the most too, and that's probably the reason why he dies. You wouldn't care as much if it was 1 of the other 2, just like when they shot that guy before Garza. I also thought it was a bit odd seeing Templar die. You would think he could have put up more of fight.

I have yet to beat Killzone 2, but I'm right at the very end. I want play some of the campaign with a friend this evening, but I'm afraid I'll lose my progress if I use chapter select. Has anyone tried this, and if so, will I lose my progress?

I finished the first two levels on veteran, took me just under an hour for each. Died about 10-12 times, but I was using the pistol mostly as it has infinite ammo (and I like 'saving' my main gun for special encounters, though ironically I often end up never using it at all, I've been playing like this ever since Half Life incidentally)

I find it fun and effective to rush any remaining Helghast in an area and shoot them once with the pistol before hitting them, I can take out two Helghast standing next to each other with this method (even on Veteran), it also works great for the SMG wielding enemies who like to rush you.

Yeah once they are dispersed, I could go in and surgically remove people (If you use pistol, you could also try the dagger for close combat). But damn HGH team is tough when they work together in Veteran. Rushing in at the right time is definitely fun, but I took a rocket right in the face, smoke trail and all, twice >_<

I am guessing we won't be able to fight recklessly like this in strategic locations though. What scenes are worth revisiting time and time again just to have some quick fun ?

One thing I didn't like was the heavy machine gun wielding enemy, that you had to shoot in the face to make him turn around so you could shoot the gas tanks on his back. Seemed rather contrived, couldn't you just flank him and shoot him in the back? or shoot the tank over his shoulder? It also takes a LOT of hits to the tank to take it down, I had to go through the shoot him in the face rigmarole like 8 times before killing him. I hope they're arent a whole squad of those in later levels.

TTP from GAF said there are more, but they are not that common.

Quick fun?
Tharsis Refinery. You'll understand what I mean when you finish the level.

As for me, as soon as I beat the game, I'm replaying the 8th level. I think it's the best level in the game in terms of graphics and gameplay.

Looks like I'll be getting this in the week. Found more money in my PayPal account than I expected, and me mate just bought it, so I'll probably get invovled in a spot of friendly online coop warring.

I have nothing substantive to say at this point, but after playing through the first stage...wow. Bravo to the the Dev because it worked. It actually worked and they lived up to the initial propaganda.

I've barely dipped a single toe into this game, but even removing the graphics discussion, the atmosphere (thus far) is incredibly thick. I'd recommend that one has a solid surround system for this game. Gadzuks.

Bought the game on friday. Played like 2 hours online and ive also finished like 3 missions or so i think on the singleplayer.

Impressions so far:

Graphics are awesome! By far the most impressive graphical title ive played on any console. Animations are great, but what really is fantastic is the lighting effects. Sometimes it produces some truly breathtaking visuals. There is a lot of going on in each scene, and while the framerate sometimes drops, its never unplayable. Some textures looks like they could have been higher rez or have had some shader work, but thats a small complaint given how insanely good the game looks as a total package.

Still getting used to the controls, but its getting there. Found a sick spot on one of the multiplayer maps, was hidden in this tower thingy with just a tiny peak hole overlooking a bridge where 90% of all the helgast run by every time they spawn on that particular map. Managed to kill 64 with 15 deaths :)

Is there any way to start out with more ammo? 2 magazine clips dont last long in multiplayer games.

Speaking of multiplayer, the servers are not dedicated i think, i have only seen player made servers so far, most if not all games seem a bit laggy. I often shoot people and they die like 0,2-0,5 seconds later. There are some thing in place to hide this, like your weapon fires instantly (and shots land instantly on your screen), regardsless of how fast connection you have to the host.

Are the cutscenes realtime? Amazing production values in this game.

Found a sick spot on one of the multiplayer maps, was hidden in this tower thingy with just a tiny peak hole overlooking a bridge where 90% of all the helgast run by every time they spawn on that particular map. Managed to kill 64 with 15 deaths :)

Argh... and you played as the Scout ? I hate enemy snipers, but love to flush them out of their hiding places (in R1 anyway).

Are the cutscenes realtime? Amazing production values in this game.

Yap. Only part of the intro is CG according to some GG employee in playstation.com. In the mothership, I love to play with the sound stage, watching NPCs talk from different angle and position.

Well, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. Can't post at length since I've got a chance now to play it some more, but I'm going Veteran all out (needed that improved AI), and... I've certainly died a lot! :p

I'm just past Visari Square in the campaign, played some MP briefly last night... the game is definitely firing on all cylinders.

No, ive only played like 5 full games. I dont have any classes yet, i used the standart rifle and sniped :)

So do the victims' heads pop like in the demo ? :devilish:

Well, I'm enjoying the game quite a bit. Can't post at length since I've got a chance now to play it some more, but I'm going Veteran all out (needed that improved AI), and... I've certainly died a lot! :p

I'm just past Visari Square in the campaign, played some MP briefly last night... the game is definitely firing on all cylinders.

Heh, brave soul. I switched back to Normal because I wanted to relax. Don't want to stress myself in games when work is already stressful :)

Didn't die in Veteran at all ? What did your mom feed you when you're a kid ?

If you're madly skilled, I guess there's not much difference between stomping a baby and a 12 year old. They are...em.... just victims.

EDIT: Okay, you said didn't die a lot. Gave me a scare. Sorry for my (lack of) reading comprehension.

I'm playing Veteran, the only times I've died are from rogue RPG missiles and 'nades, lol. Oh, and one of the Helghan shot out a propane tank I was standing next to (dunno if it was on purpose, but I was impressed!).

Only at CH 2, been playing this and Sonic 3 :D

Didn't die in Veteran at all ? What did your mom feed you when you're a kid ?.

I have died, but not a lot. I die much more on CoD4 veteran (but that should equal the elite setting). So far this has not been particularly hard, the enemies move well and i feel that the AI is smart, in the sense that they move believeably. (but i see no difference from veteran to demo difficulty).

EDIT: Okay, you said didn't die a lot. Gave me a scare. Sorry for my (lack of) reading comprehension

Hehe. Did take until the raining missle thingy after youve opened the floodgates.

There are some points where i die a few times in a row, but they are not frequent. Cover system+regen means if you take your time you rarely die.

Played some more multiplayer, played that arc defense tower. Man some places on that map are truly breathtaking. A lot of the tunnelways where the humans spawn on that map look real. The inside environments just look crazy good on that map, i think its because of the lighting thats applied, everything just looks like it has real volume.

Back