DX10 error.

BoardBonobo

My hat is white(ish)!
Veteran
I've got a Vista box and just recently when I have tried to run anything that needs DX10 to work I've been getting an Error message.

C:\Windows\system32\d3d10.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error.

Any ideas?

Tried all that. Still the same error. DX9 is fine but anything that tries to use the DX10 path brings up that error. It's very perplexing.

edit

Just checked the SDK, all the DX9 samples run fine, DX10 DX11 all fail. DxDiag reports no errors.

edit 2

Thinking it might actually be an error in the GeForce drivers. Installing a fresh set now.

edit 3

No difference. Bugger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like your d3d10.dll file got corrupted. My file is 1,268,224 bytes large, see if your file matches that.

Sounds like a possible virus... Or just corruption on an epic scale since Windows by default backs that up and replaces it if it is corrupted.

Regards,
SB

Well I had a look with Safer Networkings File Analyser and everything seems to check out. No virus or anything like that. Just a knackered file, maybe it's time for a chkdsk...

Open an adminstrator cmd.exe and run this:

sfc /verifyfile=C:\windows\system32\d3d10.dll

And see if it detects any corruption.

Also is this 32-bit or 64-bit?

I think it's against the EULA to distribute the DLLs by themselves. You should download and install the latest redistributable package to see if it fixes the problem.

Tried that three or four times to no avail. I also tried the redist in the sdk but that seems to have no effect. Maybe if I delete d3d10.dll and try a re-install?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936710

OK according to that you have the correct sized d3d10.dll for 32 bit Vista.

Have you already tried completely uninstalling and re-installing your Video Card drivers? I know you mentioned installing new drivers, but not sure if you completely uninstalled the old ones.

Although I'm not sure this would explain the hash errors when trying to verify the file. When you ran the command that aaaaa00 gave you, did you make sure you did it in a cmd prompt with admin access? IE - right click on cmd.exe and run as admin? Otherwise the cmd prompt will only have limited user access.

There's also a possibility that the file being used is sitting on a bad block on the HD, and thus while appearing to be the correct size, Windows cannot fully read it when it goes to load the file since it can't access the data in the bad block.

Regards,
SB

I've pruned drivers, re-installed drivers, re-installed DX. Short of casting bones and reading tea leaves I've done just about everything and still no joy.

I am beginning to think it could be a bad sector on the HD but chkdsk came up with nothing.

I'm going to restart in safe mode and run defraggler and see if that manages a complete defrag.

Have you made sure you were running cmd.exe as an admin and not the default user level? And then trying the sfc command again?

Regards,
SB

Bonobo I can send you d3d10.dll I have have a friends vista laptop here and since I havnt installed anything on it im not bound by any eula
pm me you email addy

Back