New EA IP: Dante's Inferno

liolio

Aquoiboniste
Legend
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the trailer was pretty bad, though. 'Demons! Oh, wait, my magic crucifix turned them into smoke. Look, a giant demon! Wait, he dies with one swing of my Ninja Gaiden 2 scythe, and just puffs into smoke!' And then you see a bunch of demons that look like they're from Brütal Legend.

I thought the trailer was pretty bad, though. 'Demons! Oh, wait, my magic crucifix turned them into smoke. Look, a giant demon! Wait, he dies with one swing of my Ninja Gaiden 2 scythe, and just puffs into smoke!' And then you see a bunch of demons that look like they're from Brütal Legend.
I understand your concern the setting (demons, inferno ,etc.) may very well have already been covered quiet some times :LOL:
But Eurogamer makes it clear that the game is not about originality it's basically a clone of GoWII.
EA has put the dead space team on the job as well as some persons acknowledged for their previous works.
Speaking of which, in addition to the core team which made the excellent Dead Space, EA has hired Steve Desilet, one of the lead level designers on the Half-Life series and Oddword: Stranger's Wrath, and Mike Cheng, who worked on Metroid Prime and was lead level designed on God of War II (aha!). Meanwhile, Renowned fantasy artist Wayne Barlowe (stayed tuned for an interview with him later this week), is on character creation duties, and Knight teases that he's co-authoring the script with an "Oscar-nominated writer".
Basically it's a hack 'n slash and its becoming tough to push something original in this kind of setting. What I expect is not originality it's a solid gameplay back up by solid visual and and good story telling.
In regard to scythe if it's Dante only weapon I hope it will be able to take quiet some other shapes... :LOL:

I understand your concern the setting (demons, inferno ,etc.) may very well have already been covered quiet some times :LOL:
But Eurogamer makes it clear that the game is not about originality it's basically a clone of GoWII.
EA has put the dead space team on the job as well as some persons acknowledged for their previous works.

No, it's not about originality, it's about presenting the whole thing in a very ho-hum way. For a GoW-like, the bit with the giant demon was just a let-down. I expected, well, GoWisms, with 'Dante' chopping chunks off the demon, not hitting him once with a scythe and having him dissolve into dust. Maybe I just expected them to showcase some of the main character's personality -- DMC's Dante is very 'cool', Kratos is very angry, while I'm getting more of a NG's Ryu Hayabusa feel from him (the trailer feels similar to NG2's reveal trailer last year, too). Just a blank slate. Which, for NG, as a very technical, skill-based 'action game' is fine. If this game is following the GoW model, though, they really need to make us connect to the main character (we don't have to like him -- Kratos is very unlikeable).

As for the Dead Space team, I haven't played the game, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. They certainly seem like a very technically competent team -- most complaints about Dead Space I've seen were about the by-the-numbers, monster closet gameplay. And that might be a problem with following GoW's mold, which is already a very Michael Bay-blockbuster ninjas-vs-dinosaurs 'add everything that can be cool' game.

And the demons, again, it's not about originality, rather that they look a little wacky and silly when moving. Maybe they're based on actual demons from Doré's illustrations, but they do look like some of the things I've seen in the (much more wacky) screenshots for Brütal Legend.

It's the same studio, but not the same team as Dead Space.

Trailer looks nice. Initial screenshots were pretty abysmal by comparison. I'll keep it on my watch list.

already encouragingly locked at 60 frames-per-second
:!:

Gameplay Trailer
[gt]52343?type=flv[/gt]

Looks pretty awesome!

It would be nice for us 360 owners to get a competent GoW clone this gen, if that is what in fact this game turns out to be. The opening sequence of the that trailer with the bridge over the lava flow was pretty impressive and it had me thinking it was CG until it got closer and you could see the flames. I hope it turns out to be a good game!

So works like Inferno must be in the public domain, anyone can make use of that content?

Who would have ever thought Inferno could be made into an action game.

Looks pretty awesome!

It would be nice for us 360 owners to get a competent GoW clone this gen, if that is what in fact this game turns out to be. The opening sequence of the that trailer with the bridge over the lava flow was pretty impressive and it had me thinking it was CG until it got closer and you could see the flames. I hope it turns out to be a good game!

There's also Darksiders, which also seems to be GoW-like.

So works like Inferno must be in the public domain, anyone can make use of that content?

Who would have ever thought Inferno could be made into an action game.

Indeed. :LOL: If they get the opportunity, I'd be curious to see how they approach part 2 and 3 of the Divine Comedy. I'm actually more interested in their interpretation of the literature, so I don't mind if it's a gameplay clone.

Indeed. :LOL: If they get the opportunity, I'd be curious to see how they approach part 2 and 3 of the Divine Comedy. I'm actually more interested in their interpretation of the literature, so I don't mind if it's a gameplay clone.

I imagine that #3 will be a prequel and Dante will face his brother Virgil. #2 will be the one no one likes. And #4 will introduce a new main character, you'll play as Dante only half the time. :eek:

A hellish theme ride is always my cup of tea, just hope there's a decent story behind it. It's gonna be fun like HELL with this and GOWIII for the main course.

Gamersyde have a nice vid here
All this advertissement /teasinfg campaign has been successful so far or at least it worked with me but I'm getting turn on.
Another good game is Darksiders, I realized it doesn't have a dedicated thread which is plainly wrong.
The last things I've seen read are pretty exiting. It looks like it will have some nice RPG elements and it looks good (I like the character :) )

hm... According to the EA Conference, it'll be coming early February 2010. IIRC, Feb 9 for NA, Feb 12 for EU.

So they're narrowly-avoiding God of War 3... maybe they want to ride the hype building up for the genre? Or just for the 360-only users?

Back