Can Wii achieve the same level of Xbox's Doom3?

I was talking about Julian E, not Factor 5 per se. Julian E is known for overexaggarating things and cheering for a platform like there is no other comparable.
That's pretty much the point. It's just a statement made by a "professional developer" (in this case probably a "more professional developer") - that doesn't neccessarily mean it's true.

It's a tough call. I think Xbox is definitely more flexible than Cube. It has fewer limitations from the programming angle. But I think Cube and Wii are very efficient architectures, more efficient than Xbox's brute force GPU plus rather ugly memory subsystem. Some games work very well on Wii/Cube while others won't.

To compare, you can't just quote exclusives because you can't say that the other machine couldn't handle them just because they were exclusives (or something like that). Multiplatform games aren't good to compare with either because you don't know which platform got the most attention. And of course we can't really run benchmarks with all the variables under control like on PC.

Overall I think that both platforms are great and have games that prove their hardware was not broken in any significant way. Neither has a decisive advantage IMO. They feel like they are from the same generation. It's not like comparing say PS1 and 3DO. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For me Rebel Strike was the most impressive game last gen, the breakable vegetation and light scattering didn't go a miss' amongst all the other advanced effects displayed.

At the time Julian spoke about GC, it wasn't hard to believe what he was saying, but gradually it showed not to be the case. Not that GC was weak, but translating Xbox's implementations to GC was always going to take extra work to look close or as good and that's not taking into account that there was also a difference in raw power as well as flexibility.

Its a rather contradictory statement in hindsight, seeing as he spoke so vividly about how GC/Wii and the TEV excels when you connect all those fixed function texture operations in different and inventive ways. Porting may have been "easy", but it wasn't necessarily going to get the best returns visually.

But even without the OS, the Wii is far from the first Xbox.
Not only because of the in-game results, but also because Xbox firs GPU makes the difference, and Wii can't compensate that difference with any other component of its hardware.

Don't tell me... It's DX8!!!! Perhaps you can explain a little about the Xbox GPU internals to point out the differences?

@Iron, the Wii can do normal mapping on it's own.

I was wondering, would anyone have a rough idea if the programming evolution on GPUs and CPUs as we march towards more efficient computing in general would have done much to give an Xbox 1 game produced today any more juice to perform better? Isn't it not only a comparison of the hardware but also the software which produced the games as well, and the software technology for the Xbox 1 games was static since 2005 and for the Wii theres an extra 4 years of development thus far?

It would be interesting if someone could get some polygon counts for Super Mario Sunshine and compare them to Super Mario Galaxy. Sure they are not the same game in design exactly, but it would make an interesting comparison. Super Smash Brothers Melee compared to SSB:Brawl would be even better.

So while the Wii was more worth than the Gamecube when it came to its capabilities, having seen all the Wii games after 6 to 7 years, can we safely assume that the Wii couldn't run Doom 3 with the brilliance of the graphics featured in the Xbox version?

There were other games with sick graphics on the Xbox, like RSC2 -60 fps-, Halo 2 and so on.

Why are the fonts in your post so large?
I don't know why. I fixed it already. After publishing the message I didn't change them because I thought it was an issue on my end, something related to my internet browser, so people could read the post normally, but I see it isn't the case.

So while the Wii was more worth than the Gamecube when it came to its capabilities, having seen all the Wii games after 6 to 7 years, can we safely assume that the Wii couldn't run Doom 3 with the brilliance of the graphics featured in the Xbox version?

There were other games with sick graphics on the Xbox, like RSC2 -60 fps-, Halo 2 and so on.
Despite it not having normal mapping, I think Silent Hill: Shattered Memories looks better. The sharper textures, and higher polycounts more than make up the difference. If they'd done a Doom 3 on Wii a la Doom 64 (meaning assets remade with modern tech and design sensibilities), I believe it could have looked far better than the Xbox version.

I think RE: The Darkside Chronicles looks really good. Might not have Doom 3's lighting (although it's good in its own right), but in every other department it does blow Doom 3 out of the water. (and looks like something you probably wouldn't see on the old Xbox)

I cant believe this stuff.. in another thread people argue if Cube was better than PS2

Xbox basically had the best PC GPU from 2001 and decent CPU vs Wii. It wasnt a fair fight

Wii games benefit from improvements in game development in general. Most of the time it's the art direction that's getting judged in these threads and that's totally subjective.

3 years ago, when this thread was young ;), the discussion was more about whether Wii could even do the effects Doom3 uses.

3 years ago, when this thread was young ;), the discussion was more about whether Wii could even do the effects Doom3 uses.

Which is still up in the air when it comes to doing all those different things in substantial amounts at decent framerates.

No I don't think the Wii could match the Xbox port of Doom 3. I do think it could have it's own version that in some ways would look better (art, modeling), but there would of course be trade offs, and I have a feeling many of the trade offs wouldn't be worth it.

Back