HardOCP refuses to review GTS 250

Apparently NVIDIA was mad at Kyle for not reviewing their cards They Way It's Meant To Be Reviewed, so they told their AIB partners not to supply [H] with review samples of the GTS250. So now Kyle is telling NVIDIA to fuck itself.

Personally I think it a bit churlish. Why not just link to the previous review and say this is the performance you will get scaled bya 15% clock increase or whatever it is. I do find it humorous just from the POV that everyone rags on [H] saying they are in the bed for Nvidia.

Gotta love it coming on the heals of Kyle's quad-sli-slamming review. Personally I'm on Kyle's side on this one - he calls it like it is and they want him to spin. He's being a journalist and they want to force him to be a spinster. Good for the Frgmstr.

I don't think the content was inaccurate or bad, just that he came off all grumpy.

Still given the likely pressure then I can understand why he might have been grumpy.

He did review them, years ago when they first came out :D

Thats my thought aswell. I'm a big Nvidia fan, but this rebranding will only fool those who dont follow the industry/market. I say good for Kyle for not wanting to try to fool those who might visit his site.

On a side thought, he could have agreed but started his whole review with something to the likes of "We reviewed these exact same cards before here, here and here only now they have a different name but still taste the same." in like 24pt font to include the links.

I don't think the content was inaccurate or bad, just that he came off all grumpy.

Still given the likely pressure then I can understand why he might have been grumpy.

My only thought is I wouldn't take my relationship bickerings with a company that provides review samples public unless absolutely necessary. And then only if you have the scope of readership Kyle has standing in front of his bully pulpit to leverage a 'changed' attitude from your PR/marketing contacts from that company. Maybe that's the case here, but Kyle has in the past demonstrated a tendency to be a bit quick on the draw taking things public.

JR that is exactly what I was getting at. It seemed a tad too much, too soon, but perhaps it is an unusual show of restraint that I am not aware of. (But like you said history tends to indicate that is not the most likely scenario).

Dang. I wasn't even aware until just now the GTS 250 was going to be a rebranded (twice over) video card. I was assuming it was going to be a new card in the 200 series based on tech from the 200 series.

Ugh... Nvidia just sank another notch in my eyes. BTW - I haven't been keeping up on stuff like this (obviously). Is ATI doing the same thing with any of the 4000 series?

Regards,
SB

Back