The PirateBay Trial

I really hope TPB wins this case. It would be a sad day if they lost and we started seeing other companies getting sued with little basis in reality.

I do indeed think copyright law and intellectual property need to be overhauled. As in, it should be law for the original authors to retain rights to their work beyond any contract with a corporation that helped fund them. If a record company's sole purpose is to profit off of someone else's work then they should be able to make some money for helping said artists get an audience out there, but they should not be allowed at all to have ownership of the artist's work.

As for TPB I understand the argument that it allows easy searching for content that could be bought elsewhere but it will not solve the problem that people out there want content after content. It is ashame that our society has created this need (or extreme desire) for content in the way and now it has gone to a point where a large group of people will do whatever necessary to get that content for free. But theft will not stop if TPB goes away, and I'd like to guess it will increase if more and more people, companies, and other websites get sued for having "infringed" material on them. I know if it continues at this pace I will gladly "steal" content in the future.

If a record company's sole purpose is to profit off of someone else's work then they should be able to make some money for helping said artists get an audience out there, but they should not be allowed at all to have ownership of the artist's work.

And how would they make money if they didn't have rights to the artists work?

As far as the pirate bay goes, from being a swede, I have pretty much heard that the pirate bay wants to spread information that "wants to be free", in this regard they mean digitized copyrighted material, as this is what the discussion has been about all along. Browsing the torrents on the TPB site you can see that most of the categories actually refers to what in general is copyrighted material.

And how would they make money if they didn't have rights to the artists work?

As far as the pirate bay goes, from being a swede, I have pretty much heard that the pirate bay wants to spread information that "wants to be free", in this regard they mean digitized copyrighted material, as this is what the discussion has been about all along. Browsing the torrents on the TPB site you can see that most of the categories actually refers to what in general is copyrighted material.

They could make music the exact same way they do now. They don't have to have the rights to a song to do what they do. An artist could lease their services and a portion of the album sales would go to the label. Not difficult and an artist wouldn't have to give up control of the music they created.

Copyrights & patents should expired after three years. Public domain after that. Our society is putting too much value on these virtual properties.

Technical nitpick here. Some people are forgetting that material being Copyrighted has nothing to do with it being legal or illegal to distribute. Firefox and Linux are prime examples.

Uh, no Humus. The sole purpose of TPB is not to provide easy access to illegal content.

Why call it "The Pirate Bay" if it's not about pirating? They may not discriminate against legal content, and even as anti-copyright activitists there's no reason why they should, but they didn't just sit down to make this site to make it easy for people to share their Linux distributions and freeware.

You're kidding yourself if you don't think this could lead to big content suing other non-discriminating forms of "traffic" that comes in millions of forms. They will, they care about nothing except for money.

That's the "setback for society" I'm talking about. But that doesn't change what TBP is about.

Why call it "The Pirate Bay" if it's not about pirating? They may not discriminate against legal content, and even as anti-copyright activitists there's no reason why they should, but they didn't just sit down to make this site to make it easy for people to share their Linux distributions and freeware.

The name could be a play on the activity of pirating, or it could be because the majority use of the site is pirating. The name, however, doesn't limit what you can do with their services. I think they set down to make a easy to use torrent tracking site with easy to use methods of searching the available .torrent files. They were likely very aware that their users would use it for pirating, though.

That's the "setback for society" I'm talking about. But that doesn't change what TBP is about.

As soon as TPB is found guilty then you have a serious cascading effect that would damage the entire Internet and not to just illegal file sharing circles. One that would likely take years to over come. Do you really want that to happen? As dirty as TPB might be I can live with it if it means big content is not given more power.

The name could be a play on the activity of pirating, or it could be because the majority use of the site is pirating. The name, however, doesn't limit what you can do with their services. I think they set down to make a easy to use torrent tracking site with easy to use methods of searching the available .torrent files. They were likely very aware that their users would use it for pirating, though.

As soon as TPB is found guilty then you have a serious cascading effect that would damage the entire Internet and not to just illegal file sharing circles. One that would likely take years to over come. Do you really want that to happen? As dirty as TPB might be I can live with it if it means big content is not given more power.
How do you excuse this page:
http://thepiratebay.org/tv

I don't see anything wrong with distributing or downloading TV programmes. They are so easily viewable and / or recordable via legal means that whats the difference?

Torrent links can be damn useful if you happen to miss an episode of a show.

I dont think its legal to record/download tv shows. TV stations pay alot of money to show them and earn that back by commercials. Obviously you have none of those when recording/downloading. If that is the point than the makers would put it online for free themselves.

Anyway, I that sort of disuccion will be going nowhere and also should not be the point of the topic I think. The point is if what TPB is doing is illigal or not. They are not making it alot more easy that lets say google to find content to download.

If recording a TV show is illegal, then every TIVO and PVR and VCR is illegal.

I dont think its legal to record/download tv shows. TV stations pay alot of money to show them and earn that back by commercials. Obviously you have none of those when recording/downloading. If that is the point than the makers would put it online for free themselves.

Anyway, I that sort of disuccion will be going nowhere and also should not be the point of the topic I think. The point is if what TPB is doing is illigal or not. They are not making it alot more easy that lets say google to find content to download.

Many TV shows are online these days for free. Hulu is a very profitable and marketable service that I wish more people would use instead straight up pirating them. However, Hulu doesn't offer a HD quality stream of the shows (max is 480p).

I just don't see what is illegal about a non-discriminating service. What the users do is illegal, granted, but TPB lets you do anything with their service. That type of offering should be embraced and content providers should look at other avenues and ways of making revenue then hunting down the illegal actions of users.

That type of offering should be embraced and content providers should look at other avenues and ways of making revenue then hunting down the illegal actions of users.

But isnt that the heart of the problem in reality? They dont want a other way of providing content. They want to controll everything so that they can keep up their constant wallet rape.

Is it perfectly legal to record TV shows on Tivo and VCR's and the like? I would imagine it is. But the distribution of those TV shows might be what is illegal.

Still, many here download TV shows because we don't have access to them at the regular time they air or don't live in a country where the shows are readily accessible. Hulu is great and all (love the one commerical they air and get right back into the show) but they have such a limited selection and don't really offer a backlog of episodes to watch from.

Copyrights & patents should expired after three years. Public domain after that. Our society is putting too much value on these virtual properties.
You clearly have never worked on anything much more complex than a "hello world" program. :rolleyes:

I don't see anything wrong with distributing or downloading TV programmes. They are so easily viewable and / or recordable via legal means that whats the difference?

Torrent links can be damn useful if you happen to miss an episode of a show.

HULU and so forth have ad revenue to support TV shows still.

I know I DLed some in the past, but once they were available through legal means I always suffer through the commercials to watch them legally. I want to support the shows I like after all.

Back