OMAP4 & SGX540

There's no "minspec" in the general sense, although Android does require GPU acceleration now for some things, and there's no software fallback that would give acceptable performance.

There's no "minspec" in the general sense, although Android does require GPU acceleration now for some things, and there's no software fallback that would give acceptable performance.

So it would make sense to ditch driver support for chips that don't support GPU acceleration completely, no? Kind of narrow down chipset support as does Microsoft with WP7 to make a slimmer backend.

I'm not sure what you'd ditch exactly. The natural evolution of the OS will take care of obsoleting hardware when it's not good enough, and narrowing official chipset support doesn't help anyone innovate. If you're talking about it enabling the removal of software fallbacks or ditching old CPU ISAs, that'll just happen naturally as time goes by.

I'm not sure what you'd ditch exactly. The natural evolution of the OS will take care of obsoleting hardware when it's not good enough, and narrowing official chipset support doesn't help anyone innovate. If you're talking about it enabling the removal of software fallbacks or ditching old CPU ISAs, that'll just happen naturally as time goes by.

That's was I was asking for, good to know :smile:

No, the archos 7 has a weak arm 11 Rockwell chip... so it s a generation before cortex a8 Gen.... it is really not suited to surf. I must admit that my iconia tab has become a lot more pleasant since honeycomb 3.1 update. I would say a dual a9 is the bare minimum to surf properly.

No, the archos 7 has a weak arm 11 Rockwell chip... so it s a generation before cortex a8 Gen.... it is really not suited to surf. I must admit that my iconia tab has become a lot more pleasant since honeycomb 3.1 update. I would say a dual a9 is the bare minimum to surf properly.

$99 worth of occassional web browsing and/or reading then. I thought it was the Archos 70 and I missed the Rockwell chip in the link I posted. If the 8" A9 G80 goes for $279 with an OMAP4460 I would expect their 70 to be a lot cheaper than 279 too unless it went EOL.

Anyway I'm with Anand's articles for tablets; if you're up to reading a few pages while browsing, tablets are more than fine. But when it comes down to typing they're still too impractical for my taste (unless someone is a fanatical "thumb typer"). All tablet manufacturers should include free yoga lessons for typing on those things. It sounds easier to put both my feet behind my neck than to type on a tablet on my lap :p

You re quite right about this last point tablets are quite impractical to type although a 10.1 screen makes it bearable. Thanksfuly honeycomb 3.1 supports bt keyboards and this makes it quite usable. Typing ont b3d forum from the tablet is quite sluggish for some reason...it litterally crawls.

Has LG's Optimus 3D with OMAP 4430 been delayed? Afaik it was supposed to launch in Q2. We're almost to the end of Q2 and no sign of it so far. Meanwhile HTC's Evo 3D based on MSM 8660 is launching today

Yep they've just said it'll be out later in the summer. So there's no smartphone out with OMAP4 yet. Droid 3 for Verizon has been spotted with OMAP4 while the international Milestone 3 has Tegra 2.

Could RIM switch further into the TI OMAP 4 camp?

http://m.techeye.net/chips/texas-instruments-usurps-marvell-in-rim-contract-snatch

Would have assumed Marvell/Vivante would be competitive, RIM maybe be transitioning to PowerVR beyond QNX, if so an interesting development.
Sylvie Barak has some decent sources, but that sounds like bullshit to me. The Bold 9900 doesn't look like an OMAP at all - 1.2GHz and 720p video? RIMM has been using both Marvell and Qualcomm as suppliers in the past, and this looks much more like a Qualcomm MSM8x55 to me. It could be something from Marvell as well as they've confirmed they would still be used in some BB 7.0 models: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20110617-713068.html

I'd be very surprised if RIMM PR did confirm that even if it was true - must have been a misunderstanding. However, I think TI has a very good shot at RIMM for QNX phones in 2012.

It's highly unlikely to be OMAP, unless they're running a special OMAP3 bin exclusive to them.

Dunno if this is exactly the right thread, but its close enough.

I see an Omap4 samsung has hit Glbenchmark, GT-I9108
gets a decent 4246 score for egypt standard, and about 50% improvment in the egypt of-screen score compared to the SGX540 in the galaxy S.

I'm not aware of an announced 840x480 sammy using omap4 ?

Back