X-Files Blu-ray won't play on PS3 - DRM?

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
The X Files: I Want to Believe Blu-ray won't play on my PS3. Tried two different copies rented from Blockbuster, both pristine and both gave just an eternal black screen. No other movies do this. The setup is as follows:
PS3 -> Onkyo TX-SR705 -> 47" LG LC7D

Tried all combinations of output settings on the PS3 - no change. All components are HDMI 1.3 capable and connected with HDMI 1.3a cables. So what gives?

I've heard that some receivers have trouble with HDCP handshaking, but nothing specifically about this one. Perhaps if I took it out of the loop it'd work, but that would be a huge PITA. If this is DRM related I am not a happy bunny.

Did you apply all the updates to your PS3? That title, X Files: I want to Believe, is part of the newest BD+ protection scheme. I know on the PC, AnyDVD HD, has that protection broken, but many stand-alone devices are still without the needed updates to be able to play it. The PS3 is usually the first player updated for the new protection mechanisms.

Yes, forgot to mention that. Latest firmware is installed.

Do you know of any other movies that have BD+?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Mr. Brooks and Sunshine both work so that must not be the problem.

Tons of different settings on both the PS3 and the receiver, but I don't have another player to try.

FWIW the Blockbuster people told me to make sure I had the latest firmware when I rented it. They've never said that before.

Thanks. Mr. Brooks and Sunshine both work so that must not be the problem.

Those two are not part of the latest wave of BD+ titles, as that thread is from March 2008. The newest round of BD+ protection hit around the end of 2008 (November/December) . Here's a list of BluRays which use the newest BD+ DRM referred from Slysoft's Announcement.

Futurama: Bender's Game (U.S.)
Firefly, The Complete Series (U.S.)
Planet of the Apes (1968 ) (U.S.)
Predator 2 (1990)
Shine a Light (U.K)
Planet of the Apes (the series), U.S.
Space Chimps, USA
Meet Dave, USA
X-Files 2
X-Files 1
Home Alone
The Day The Earth Stood Still: Special Edition
Jingle All The Way
Super Troopers
Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story
Horton hears a Who
French Connection I & II (UK)
In the Name of the King (US)
Vanishing Point (Germany)
Babylon A.D.

Ah, I haven't tried any of those. My roommate just got Firefly in so I'll try that tomorrow.

Nevermind he already sent it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update - the Firefly Blu-rays work! Unfortunately I never tried it on the old 2.60 firmware so I don't know if 2.70 fixed anything. If I ever get another copy of the X-files I'll see if it works now.

But what's really puzzling is why I'm typing this instead of watching the best show evar! :D

We just got through spending about 10 minutes futzing around at a friends house to get the day the earth stood still to play.

It devolved into a nice conversation about the annoyance of DRM. The owner of the setup was a bit annoyed, the rest of the guests besides me were quite happy they had not purchased a blu ray device and did not plan to after wasting that time. I on the other hand already splurged and got a drive for my HTPC so I of course suggested that advocacy might solve the issue (since I already paid and could not very well turn around and un buy it).

It was funny to me though to see the idiotic companies shooting themselves in the foot with their craptastic DRM that no pirates have to deal with...

An update to his PS3 fixed the issue btw/

Back