Best Heavy/Rock group ever ?

That's a bit of an odd stance. I'd say album sales are the perfect measure of lasting impact of mainstream tastes.

Why? The Backstreetboys are in there, but do all the 16 year olds that used to love them 10 years or so ago still love them? Its a bit different today I think. Marketing is far more important these days. You just have to turn on the radio or mtv to see that. Only commercial crap. Most bands in the list are pre mtv days and bands like Metallica are still from the decent mtv era. So bands that are in there are alot more likely to be there because they made good music. The fact that bands like Metallica, the Stones and people like david gilmore can still do world tours in big stadiums. Thats because they make proper good music. For that same reason the backstreetboys couldnt even fill up a small venue even more (well, atleast not around the world) because they make shit (you cant even call it music).

And yes maybe better bands dont make it over the shittier bands and get forgotten. But that doesnt mean their music is worse. They might not end up on a list but you could still tell people about them so they get to know it.

Why? The Backstreetboys are in there, but do all the 16 year olds that used to love them 10 years or so ago still love them? Its a bit different today I think. Marketing is far more important these days. You just have to turn on the radio or mtv to see that. Only commercial crap. Most bands in the list are pre mtv days and bands like Metallica are still from the decent mtv era. So bands that are in there are alot more likely to be there because they made good music. The fact that bands like Metallica, the Stones and people like david gilmore can still do world tours in big stadiums. Thats because they make proper good music. For that same reason the backstreetboys couldnt even fill up a small venue even more (well, atleast not around the world) because they make shit (you cant even call it music).

And yes maybe better bands dont make it over the shittier bands and get forgotten. But that doesnt mean their music is worse. They might not end up on a list but you could still tell people about them so they get to know it.

The Backstreet Boys would have a sell out tour in hours if they announced a full line up one. Is it the same type of liking of the music? No, but most people who bought Beatles albums or Rolling Stones albums didn't buy them for deeper reasons either. In general few people really identify with an artist. So the task of naming the best of something is simply a popularity contest. I'm always shocked at the small number of people who really love music, most just listen to it as entertainment, similar to why people like action movies.

Ink, I really love Opeth and they have a lot of really good stuff and great composition within their songs as well.

I'm hoping another community photo thread shows up one day so I can parade around with my picture of Mikael Akerfeldt and I.

:runaway:

Trivium is becoming new Metallica for me.

Compared to Crusade* Shogun is so different, so "Un-Heavy", "Un-Thrashy" etc. And it's great.

Iron Maiden is great, but my current favourite albums are their Progressive albums like Somewhere out of Time or Seventh Son of the Seventh Son (ando also the last three albums) and not "normal" Heavy Metal albums.

*Crusade sounds like Threash Metal of the 80s.

Back