Best Heavy/Rock group ever ?

There is only rock, there is no classic rock.

Like metal, there is no classic metal.

There are different types of rock and there are different types of metal, but there is no classic version of either. What happens is that a rock or metal group who is at the pinnacle becomes classic. There is a subtle difference.

Or maybe I'm talking bollox again :D

Cant everything become classic? I mean, all cars can become classics right? For example if a car is over 25 years or so you dont have to pay road taxes anymore in Holland because its considerd a classic even though it might be a total shitbox. Doesnt it work the same with music? Ofcourse in general when you talk about classics people wont be remembering the bad stuff but only the good ones.

As for the greatest band? I wouldnt know. Queen and Led would defenitly be good contenders. I'd scrap AC/DC and Maiden. Their best songs dont come close to what Queen produced. Besides, AC/DC just plain sucks in my opinion. If you ever heard them live, they might as well not have a singer. You cant hear the guy, he's just making weird noises. Maiden isnt that special I think, not to mention they never even really tried to do something different. Listening to one of their early cd's is almost the same as listening to the last one. If you want that kind of music in there too I think Black Sabbath would be alot better choice instead of the Maiden's and Metallica's.

Can we add Pink Floyd too? I think they've made some awsome music too though maybe it doesnt fit the heavy/rock? It sure is rock for the most part but not heavy. Than again, alot of things Queen did wernt heavy or even rock either. Rolling Stones should be there too. Old but they defenitly made some kick ass songs. I mean, can you even watch anything Vietnam war related without even thinking of paint it black or gimme shelter?

And last but not least having to promote my own little country a bit can we add the golden earing? Ofcourse not the greatest rock band ever (but than again, if you'd add AC/DC they could be there easily as well) but still a name alot of people know I think.

It's too tough call, IMO, as "heavy/rock group" is far, far too wide variety of completely different styles of music

RHCP is pure garbage these days...

My fav. band is the Smashing Pumpkins, but I wouldn't entertain the thought of naming them the best rock group ever.

Ink, I really love Opeth and they have a lot of really good stuff and great composition within their songs as well.

Well I can say Metallica and not even have to qualify it.

Still given the previous post I may have to listen to a bit more trivium and see if I like it.

Probably not official but probably the easiest to use would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Though I hardly think that sold albums says anything about quality. For example if you take the US list you'd see things lie shania twain, celine dion and the motherfucking backstreet boys in the top 15 or so. The UK list would probably be the best to take a look at, they've produced the best rock bands. Well, atleast the old ones.

Probably not official but probably the easiest to use would be: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide

Though I hardly think that sold albums says anything about quality. For example if you take the US list you'd see things lie shania twain, celine dion and the motherfucking backstreet boys in the top 15 or so. The UK list would probably be the best to take a look at, they've produced the best rock bands. Well, atleast the old ones.

That's a bit of an odd stance. I'd say album sales are the perfect measure of lasting impact of mainstream tastes. The only reason the bands in the original post are there is because they are the biggest sellers in each of their respective genres. History has always treated the victor well and the loser is simply left out. It is impossible to come up with a "best rock group" when the only choices most people know are the bands who've sold tens of millions of copies.

I point out Cold Play as a modern day example. Cold Play is a below average indie rock band who has made it super huge. But, opening up for Cold Play on their tour was a band named Shearwater. Shearwater is incredibly more powerful than Cold Play. Yet the chances of Shearwater selling a couple million are very low. Why? Shearwater is emotional, they're powerful, their songs don't lend themselves to the radio or music video shorts. But 10 years from now, who will be considered better? Cold Play, because everyone forgot about Shearwater.

Back