Best Heavy/Rock group ever ?

Opeth, Bloodbath, Insomnium and Katatonia.

I never fancied classic rock. And I'm alone on this one.

Rock as in? Your list suggests "classic rock" bands, so I'm not so sure how far you'd want to really expand band. Anything with heavy use of an electric guitar? I think Ink got it right in some respects "I never fancied classic rock" would be a nice way of saying how I feel about most of those bands.

There's a special place in hell for those who don't like classic rock. :D

It simply comes down to the fact that classic rock is not a genre/styling/whatever of music that I'd ever listen to on my own. I can enjoy it for what it is, but it is what it is.

There's a special place in hell for those who don't like classic rock. :D

People look at me funny when they find out this tidbit of information about me. I hang out with a large group of friends heavily devoted, most of them are in bands, to music. I fit in, but if I'm not singing along to AC/DC when it's on the radio, I typically catch a verbal lashing.

Besides, where's muh double bass?

Opeth, Bloodbath, Insomnium and Katatonia. I never fancied classic rock. And I'm alone on this one.
though the sound of some of those listed bands resembles say iron maiden.

my choice would have to be led zeppelin ( which certainly is not in my top10 of the classic rock bands ) but as a total package ( rock'n'roll excesses, not many crap tracks, genre impact ) they would have to be top.
the same reason as the beatles would have to be the top band of 'modern' music

though the sound of some of those listed bands resembles say iron maiden.

I'm not denying the "evolutionary" impact classic rock bands had on modern music, I just don't choose to listen to it.

All of them, of course!
I mean, what kind of sick question is this? You don't ask a mother which one of her children she likes most, do you?

Maiden went downroad since end of 80s IMHO. As Metallica since death of Burton, 88 was last "good" thing, 91 just started the run-for-the-money thing.

All in all I vote for Deep Purple , the original band with Ritchie and Ian. And then Rainbow.
Just so many talented musicians started in these bands, or went through or were inspirated.
Dio, Coverdale, J.L. Turner to name few very good simgers who become famous there ...

From that list, I'd have to say Led Zeppelin.
Although I've listened to Maiden a lot more...
I'd have to add Black Sabbath and Rainbow :)

Back